Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd June 2008, 16:49   #46

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kavesh - It is indeed a sad fact of life that people who mattered there (and I was not one of them, I was just a junior engineer) did not share our passion for cars, especially the Padmini. There seemed to be a genuine BMR there (basic mein raada). Ask yourself the basic question - did they really want to continue making cars ? Or go even further basic - did they want to make cars in the first place ? Somebody passionate started it, I appreciate the spirit. It was handed down. Unfortunately, it seems that the guys who got it had other ideas. My grandfather did not start something like this, so I am doing what I am doing today. Think about it. Your conscience will give you the answer. The dialogue of Sholay is applicable here - "hum angrezon ke zamaane ke jailer hain, hum nahin sudhrenge". The japs who came with the Maruti knew this on day 1 and are laughing all the way to the bank 25 years after they brought the 800 in. Most of us knew this 25 years back (aa bail mujhe maar !).

On the 5 bearing crankshaft, we had a programme going to adapt the Nissan A12 engine into the Padmini. The steering linkages were designed and moved back to accommodate the engine. Chassis layouts were ready. You can even see this arrangement in the last cars made in 1997 (without the engine of course). That car would have been the ultimate Padmini. I am still searching for a 1997 model S1 floor shift with the modified dash panel. If I get the car, I will adapt the Nissan engine in no time in it. Cutting the body panels is not the correct way, it has to be manufactured as required. For me, it is what I love to do and I know that I will do a perfect job. Packaging comes naturally to me.

I meet many people who say "I had the Padmini", well both of us are part of the lucky few who say "I have the Padmini". Let's pledge to keep it that way. Forever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Behram Sir

AS u know I am proud to own Premier 118 ne dec 1995 model

Sanjeev Phadke
sanjeevphadke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:31   #47

isn't there a separate remembrance thread going on for the same manufacturer. i am not sure if the content of both the threads are overlapping, but if this could be merged, let them be.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 14:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

The onroad price of the 8-seater Sigma with AC is approx 4,88,000/- The closest rival is the Maruti Versa which is costlier by around a lac and is a petrol. I think the Sigma also has dual AC. It will be interesting to check it out, as the maintenance costs will be very hard to beat. I haven't included Omni in to this because it does not have AC.

Currently they only have a Euro II engine, which is why you won't find them in Mumbai. I called up their showroom at Kalina, Kurla and was told a demo vehicle would be available sometime next week. Will try posting here the findings if I can actually get a test drive.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 10:42   #49
Team-BHP Support

There was advertisement yesterday in Pune TOI for Premier's UVs

Since there is no longer Pune edition in online TOI I am posting pics from its website

Sigma Lifeline
Name:  sigma_Lifeline.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  Roadstar.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  35.2 KB

They showed it in some other combination too in the ad.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote