Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2007, 23:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
Its got nothing to do with ease of reading or brain processing capabilities..

Cheerss

UMM, i have struggled with digital multi-meters in college.

e.g. checking voltage across two terminals, digital meter tells me if it's a slow build up of voltage, if it overshot and then stabilized, if there is regular fluctuation, if there are surges because of other apparatus.

with digital all i get is.

5....15....30....13....12...16...... (where i was expecting it to be a 15 V supply)
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 00:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
UMM, i have struggled with digital multi-meters in college.

e.g. checking voltage across two terminals, digital meter tells me if it's a slow build up of voltage, if it overshot and then stabilized, if there is regular fluctuation, if there are surges because of other apparatus.

with digital all i get is.

5....15....30....13....12...16...... (where i was expecting it to be a 15 V supply)
That was in response to the Aircraft meter and not other type of meters.. Also look at it from a layman's point of view with the analog multimeter its difficult to tell which line to read for the particular reading. With digital he just has to select R, V, A etc that he wants to measure and the answer is there though it gives fluctuating reading.

Same goes with cars.. if you regularly use the same car then one would know at what position is what kmph.. If you use different cars then its difficult to tell which position indicates what speed.
Like in a watch anyone can easily tell the time since it is standard, but if the dial changed and the positions were not standard then its not easy.

And BTW how many times does one really look at the speedo on a regular basis, specially in city traffic. We see it mostly on highways to accertain the speed. In India urban cities its really difficult to go fast so you know that on a average you would be doing something between 40 and 70.

Cheers

Last edited by EVO6 : 31st May 2007 at 00:23.
EVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 00:20   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RAM,
The three instruments you mention in an aircraft are available in Analog and Digital on the flight deck. The real reason for the analog to be present is that those are the meters which are really needed for a aircraft to land in case of any electronic failure.. If for some reason the electronic systems fails and the digital displays go off the pilots can still land the aircraft. Its got nothing to do with ease of reading or brain processing capabilities..
Cheerss
The instrument is not analog. That went out ages ago!
All instruments are digital. It's only the display that's analog.

The Boeing 707 born with me in 1957 had a traditional cockpit with numerous mechanical gauges to display information.
Here's a 707 cockpit

Boeing 707

Boeing 777

Today's glass cockpits have just a few computer-controlled displays that can be configured at runtime to display flight information as needed. The style of display is still analog. But they're fully digital.

and here's a 777 cockpit

and here's the 777 cockpit without power.

Speaking of electronic failure?
Modern aircraft flight control systems have quad modular redundancy.
That means, four differently implemented kinds of system compute the next step and vote among themselves before taking action.
With 4-modular redundancy and voting architectures, catastrophic display failure is virtually impossible.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 00:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And BTW how many times does one really look at the speedo on a regular basis, specially in city traffic.
with speed limits varying between 20 and 65 with a tolerance of 10 in any particular zone, it becomes highly important to keep a watch on the speedo. not having a working speedo is an offence and attracts fines/points.

you can even be fined for impeding traffic by driving too slow (and it's very common).

well, that's in US. hope someday we will see the same in india. you are right. I rarely looked at the speedo in india.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 00:31   #35
BHPian

Ram,
I agree but they also have analog meters. Coz a pilot friend of mine confirmed that its provided as a safety backup anyways will confirm with him regarding the new gen aircrafts.
I agree with your analog kind of display always feel better as we are used to them but dont u think its just a mental perception? Even the new S has a analog type of display but on a LCD screen.
Cheers
EVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 08:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
1. Didnt come with fog lamps, 15k extra
2. The trip computer is brain dead, it only gives distance traveled, no average mileage, no range left
3. No proximity sensor for reversing
4. No safety lights on doors when you open them
5. No tape in the music system, no blue tooth either. 6 cd changer comes standard though.
6. No traction control on the Indian model
7. Has volume/ channel control in the armrest of the back seat!
8. Back seat wont fold down
9. Tool box floats around in the boot
10. Digital speedmeter very annoying. For every kilometer change, the display which is in the near horizon, changes

</verbatim>
You should have explained to your boss that these are "soulfull yet state of the art" innovations that "premium" and "aspirational value" brands like Honda gives to each and every one of its esteemed customers..
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 09:56   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I did high-rev a Civic recently, and hated the digital speedo as much as I did when I first drove it (shortly after launch). This was for an extended stint thus I did have time to get used to it....but didnt.

Gimme analog anyday!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 11:01   #38
BHPian

The digital speedo/tacho/fuel was available earlier in the Toyota's mighty Echo. Although not colourful as Civics.
We all have got used to see analog meters in cars from the day one we saw cars. One thing about analog meter, we get to see a relative data right in front of our eyes. i.e. When at 100, we get to see that more 100 km/hr to go and at 120 km/hr we need to limit it etc.
Why do Breitling / Omega / Tissot makes analog watches with chronograph? (some models with digital+analog but time always shown in analog)
I w'd prefer a anolog meter any day with some nice back lit.
No multiple information in Civic - average, range etc.
I think these additions would hardly have any cost impact or maybe a marginal cost. But if they give you everything on one shot, How will they 'improve' their product?
If they give a muti information display+bluetooth+controls on wheels+traction control+etc during the first launch itself, how do they come up with a spruced up Civic after one/two year(s)? How would they run campaigns that they are 'listening' to customers and making 'changes'? Eg. when the current generation Accord was launched in Middle East, it came with a 2.4L, 170bhp engine. While facelifting, it came with the same eingine 187bhp and Honda says they did some remapping, re-engineered exhaust etc resulting increase in power without any change to engine. Dont you think that they could have done this earlier itself?
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 18:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Guys! It's no point of debate...

Analogue and digital meters both have their advantages and dis-advantages and from the debate going here it is apparent that there is no single right case...

It's individual taste... some like it some don't...

I do... may be you don't...
Even while looking straight out on the road, I know exactly what speed I am at (without looking at the speedo). And while in economy mode I know exactly when to upshift or downshift.

If you are considering CIVIC, this becomes a point to check - can work either ways for you!

And yes, it makes me feel good when I am in my car's driving seat. It differentiates the CIVIC from the rest of the cars
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 13:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

The most ODD thing with CIVIC is - No lumbar support !!!
A 13 lacks luxury car with no lumbar support.....
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2007, 23:06   #41
BHPian

Guyz, I saw a Honda Civic Si 4-door today. It had the front headlights and the rear cluster of the 2 door Si. Looked AWESOME!!! Till now, I just saw 2 door Si models and drooled at their gorgeaous slanting rear cluster.

I wonder why we dont have it in India?
Also I noticed that Civic in India is a bit different from the one in US. The headlamps and tail-lights are a bit different
ashwin_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:35   #42
BHPian

Honda is launching a new variant, called the V tomorrow in New Delhi.
And from what sources seem to suggest it might have a lot of changes, maybe some of the add-ons that we guys are complaining about. Let's wait and watch.
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 16:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Civic manual does mention that is possible to get the average fuel consumed. Saw that over the weekend. Did not try it out though.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 10:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The Civic manual does mention that is possible to get the average fuel consumed. Saw that over the weekend. Did not try it out though.
Does the manual also mention how to get the average fuel consumed?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 14:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Does the manual also mention how to get the average fuel consumed?
Yes. I have forgotten the page number. What is basically said is that there are two modes in which the calculation is done -

1) For short trips - single refill
2) For longer trips - multiple refills

What I got was that the SEL/RESEL button was to be 'pressed repeatedly'. And that the calculation is done based on the last setting of the trip meter. Could not get to try it out as I was with the car only for a short time - my uncle's car.

A grouse that I had with the manual was the spelling mistakes and that it showed the lay out for a left hand drive car - I am guessing it was a poor translation job on the Malaysian car manual. Just see if you can locate the instructions and try them out as well ...
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote