Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is the safest hatchback?
Palio 122 49.80%
U-VA 3 1.22%
Santro 3 1.22%
Getz 12 4.90%
800 3 1.22%
Alto 1 0.41%
Estilo 0 0%
Wagon R 0 0%
Swift 85 34.69%
Indica 16 6.53%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd February 2007, 18:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quite likely, you won't get Palio NCAP figures since it was supposed to be A178 World Car project, specific for non-European/Third world countries.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:59   #92
BHPian

This should have been a multiple choice voting instead. In that case, I would have voted for the Palio and the Swift. That would have perhaps given a more accurate picture. Otherwise if I vote for the Swift, it automatically implied that I didn't think that the Palio was not Safe.

Secondly, as somebody said, Safety needs to be qualified. Is it only for the occupants of the car or also for the pedestrians. Is it to score for its ability to avoid an accident or for how it handles itself in case of an accident.

I am sure there are more parameters and it cannot be judged based on merely perceived safety.

Cheers
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 10:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

I saw some post here talking about Swift and pedestrian safety. With all respect, Swift is a pedestrian safe car as the car safety people say. But... are pedestrains really safe on Indian road sides? How can a pedestrian be safe here in Indian cities where they don't even think about making pedestrain side walks and subways under major highways?

On the lighter side, When the pedestrian crosses a busy street, what is the probability of him being luckier enough to get hit by a Swift so that he can escape with minor problems and thus, his life is saved...? :-)
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 15:06   #94
BHPian

Pedestrian Safety is important for the car owner too to minimize the damage to a pedestrian in the eventuality of an accident. The curvature of the car and the huge plastic bumper are probably designed for this purpose.

NCAP Safety Scores Explained: SaferMotoring

Pedestrian Impact
  • A collection of tests are conducted to imitate 40 mph collisions featuring pedestrians.
  • Simulated body parts are used to imitate the crash situation.
  • The sites of impact are then graded as weak, satisfactory or good.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 21:01   #95
BHPian

I would definitely vote for the ABS equipped swift Vxi. ABS does matter alongwith the other safety factors like design.
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 15:13   #96
BHPian

My vote goes to the Getz based on the following experiences:

1. My Getz hit a Santro from behind at around 30 KMph as the guy in front braked abruptly. The Santro was sandwiched between a Accent and Getz. The Santro front and back smashed quite badly (thankfully nobody was hurt). Nothing happened to the Accent. On my Getz, no major physical damage was visible. However, later on discovered that front bumper was a only scratched but the radiator was a little bent. The design of the car is such that radiator does not get a crack due to accidents.

2. Second experience was at Mahabaleshwar. On a slope, the Esteem in front could not control the slide backwards and hit my car. Observed that bumber of the Esteem was bent, though nothing to my car.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 20:54   #97
nbr
BHPian

SWIFT, PALIO for sure.
INDICA is also a solid car but, The brakes r not trustworthy any day.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 21:24   #98
BHPian

i have voted for the palio.
the swift comes in second ,not a very solid car but the equipment makes up for it.
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 21:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
INDICA is also a solid car but, The brakes r not trustworthy any day.
Dude is this hearsay or what! The brakes on Indica are one of the best in its class... wondering how did you came up with this.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Tata make crahs test of their cars. i have seen crash tests of Indica and Safari On BBC WORLD long time ago.
Tushky,

Do you have the videos of the same. It'll be great if you can share as everyone would know something about the TATA facilities.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 16:26   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
My vote goes to the Getz based on the following experiences:

1. My Getz hit a Santro from behind at around 30 KMph as the guy in front braked abruptly. The Santro was sandwiched between a Accent and Getz. The Santro front and back smashed quite badly (thankfully nobody was hurt). Nothing happened to the Accent. On my Getz, no major physical damage was visible. However, later on discovered that front bumper was a only scratched but the radiator was a little bent. The design of the car is such that radiator does not get a crack due to accidents.

2. Second experience was at Mahabaleshwar. On a slope, the Esteem in front could not control the slide backwards and hit my car. Observed that bumber of the Esteem was bent, though nothing to my car.

Okay, now the bumper of your car not getting bent upon hitting something is NOT a measure of safety. In actuality, a safe car's front should be designed in such a way that it absorbs maximum impact of the collision with the so called crumple zones. So, a safe car upon frontal impact will get some dents but nothing should affect the passenger cabin. If your car's front is stiff like an iron rod, the impact of the collision will be direectly transferred to the cabin - driver's head hits the steering wheel and dies...

A car's backside should be strong enough to withstand collisions, and front should be 'soft' enough to absorb frontal impacts.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 10:27   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Okay, now the bumper of your car not getting bent upon hitting something is NOT a measure of safety. In actuality, a safe car's front should be designed in such a way that it absorbs maximum impact of the collision with the so called crumple zones. So, a safe car upon frontal impact will get some dents but nothing should affect the passenger cabin. If your car's front is stiff like an iron rod, the impact of the collision will be direectly transferred to the cabin - driver's head hits the steering wheel and dies...

A car's backside should be strong enough to withstand collisions, and front should be 'soft' enough to absorb frontal impacts.
Absolutely right. My Indica was rammed from behind by an Ikon in broad daylight when I was waiting for a signal. No damage to my car except for some of the Ikon's paint on my rear tow hook but you should have seen the Ikon - front bumper smashed, radiator broken, etc.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 11:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

A safe car is one which is safe to passengers not to the car itself. Regardless of the votes here Swift Zxi has to be the safest car.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 13:26   #104
BHPian

for me it is palio not becauze only i own it but i have had accident with that nothing happend to us even my passenger didnt feel it
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 20:05   #105

what about the swift vxi...
carjinx is offline   Reply With Quote