Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th January 2009, 22:39   #46

Hi,
As someone pointed out ,its all about relativity.In case of an air-crash ,the chances for survival is absolutely zero.But after yesterdays crash in the US where everyone survived,does this mean the A320 is teh safest!!
I think it mainly depends on the driver and how the driver adjusts to the vehicle's limitations.
I personally feel the Scorpio is one deadly vehicle to be in.We do run a few Scorpios,but its scary in the hands of a new fast driver.
The Maxx,the Sumo and other vehicles with pointed edges on them are equally dangerous for other road users.
The TATA and Leyland buses that run on our roads are actually bus bodies mounted on truck chassis.In the event of a roll-over,its game over.
About the Omni ,i dont say its a unsafe vehicle if driven sensibly .For that matter any vehicle driven rashly is equally dangerous.

Thanks!
slowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 22:51   #47
BHPian

just a thought guys and girls if any!!

every car is actually safe as long as they are not involved in an accident... yeah i know duhh!!

i guess the term unsafe comes in during the event of an crash or events that typically lead to a crash, example: driving at high speeds in slippery conditions(rain/hail/snow etc etc). or just driving at about....120kmph(high speed in indian standards) now i know some of you might think 120kmph is not that fast but once you understand what happens at those speeds u'll admit.. so stuff like that

in the event of an accident or circumstances i described a maruti omni would prove to be devastating.
so will a m800, an alto i guess will keep us alive,
hey has anyone seen the video in which they crash test a smart car?? astonishing is the word... about 100kmph head-on to a concrete wall and both the doors still open and passenger cabin still intact...
i once happened to witness a crash test myself.. between a small renault car and a huge volvo 240GL... they say volvo for life rite.. disaster was what happened... the renault proved to be safer than the volvo... except the volvo was a 1992 and the renault was a 2007 both cars were of prestine condition..no rust or anything on the volvo..

my point is cars with much modern designs are safer than the older tank like ones... i myself used to believe the bigger the better, i guess all that matters is something called the NCAP rating... dunno if we refer to NCAP in india but its worth a look..

i know am off topic but cud'nt find a thread that had anything to do with safety during a crash.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 23:51   #48
BANNED

for me any vehicle running on LPG and CNG is a potential bomb on wheels!

these includes buses, cars and 3-wheelers running on these fuels!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 01:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

+1 on that, add to this the 'Jugaad' vehicle, a wooden cart fitted with a Diesel pump and all the tractor trollies running aimlessly on National Highways.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 04:31   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:

That is completely unqualified.

The actual number of such accidents is low, and if you take out the shoddy installs, the probability of any explosions/car burning as a result of an accident is quite low.

It is wrong to bunch the WagonR Duo in the same bucket as someone running it with domestic LPG (now that's a sureshot ride to hell)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 04:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Omni and Autorikshaws
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 08:28   #52

Quote:

My dear friend,
A properly fitted LPG kit is just as safe as a petrol tank in the vehicle.
Yeah,the LPG car cylinder that people do fit is very very dangerous.

Thanks!
slowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 09:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

I find these vestibule 2-in-1 MTC (Chennai) buses highly unsafe. There is not much scope of a sudden brake, u-turn and easy turning in such buses. Following them is such a pain.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 09:48   #54
BHPian

Default Improve Road Safety

There is no use to come up with a list of unsafe vehicles in India. Almost all the vehicles that ply on our roads, except brand new and a very few well maintained ones, are unsafe. Almost all the vehicles have a problem with mechanicals/electricals.The most seen issues are indicators not working, headlamp low/high beam not working,brakes not at their best, tyres are bald,horn not working, wiper blades not effective.The safety laws in India are so poor that the brake pads we get in all the non-premium vehicles(Read > 10 lacs for bikes & >25 lacs for cars) are not even half of the thickness of what is offered in countries with tough safety laws.

Our roads are geting filled up by new vehicles at an alarming rate and new roads are not coming up at even a fraction of that rate.The exisinting roads are already way beyond its vehicle carrying limits. Our roads have become utter Chaos. It is high time that our Government sits up and thinks about bringing some driving discipline instead of some cheap politics.Not stopping at signals and not yielding way has become the way most drive. Worst thing is that many are not even aware of any road rules.

Sorry for going off topic there. I would mention all the three wheelers/Non-premium cabs/overloaded trucks as the most unsafe among the Indian vehicles.All three being commercial and catering to non-premium customers and run by greedy owners, leads to being most unsafe in today's roads.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 13:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

india is so densely populated..its almost overflowing with people..human lives over here dont hold much of a value over here compared to other thinly populated countries...people dont really care if a 'handful' of lives are lost in a road accident...sad but true..most small cars in india dont have airbags...not even as an option...most are outdated products..800,alto,estilo,omni,sumo to name a few..these cars still do good numbers...manufacturers sale these unsafe tin boxes just coz they keep the cash registers ringing...i think we should learn many things from the west especially in these matters..where abs and airbags are compulsolry fitments on all vehicles..and they save a lot of lives.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 13:24   #56
BHPian

The attitude of a driver defines the safety quotient of the vehicle that he/she is travelling in and of the safety of other vehicles on the road along with them. In India, safety regulations are a joke even when compared to other developing countries like say Thailand for eg. This is probably the only country in the world where one can get a driving license without actually even going anywhere near an RTO office, leave alone passing a driving test. Even the so called driving tests conducted by our RTO inspectors are pathetic. Drive down an empty road take a turn, stop and bingo you are now qualified to drive, and that too on some of the most chaotic roads in the world!!! This was proven by Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson on one of his episodes on how easy it was to get a driving license in India. And this happened in Mumbai! Just imagine the state of all the other cities and towns in the country.
Unless the govenment wakes up and introduces stringent safety regulations for vehicle manufactures and also puts more pressure on cops to enforce road rules only then will things start to look up. But that is easier said than done, what with the levels of corruption and the total disrespect for human safety in this country.
Sorry for going OT here, But coming back to purely vehicle dynamics and safety these would be my picks, Manic riders on TwoWheelers, Daydreaming cyclists, Autos and shareautos especially the ones who have no taillights working...anyone encounter these morons on the highways while driving at twlight or nighttime? Have had quite a few brushes with them in the evenings and nights on the ECR here in Chennai and also the Chennai/Bangalore highway, and man it was scary.
Kevciti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 17:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

All Two Wheelers are dangerous..
firstly no road sense the go in zig zag paths,not only teenagers driving RX's but also family men with their wifes siting behind,Uncles on activa's almost every body.when they see a small opening they try to zip through it.They overtake from left also to add to the misery.Even a small nick from even an auto is enough to send the 2 wheeler guy on the floor.
2)AutoRikshaw's same concept of two wheelers
3)The new Nano(expected) dosent look safe atleast,Most of the above people i mentioned will shift to the nano.with near null road sense these guys will totally screw up the roads.
Well personally im scared (had a dream when a noob nano guy bumped into my car !!)
At the end of the day its not the Vehicle which is dangerous but the person sitting behind the vehicle who is..(even a cycle guy on a slope going at 30-40kms/hr bangs you there's a chance you will die )
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:09   #58
BHPian

While I comlpetely agree with the posts of some members about the lack of safety regulations and attitudes of us Indians, since this post is about unsafe vehicles, I limit my list to just two. Mumbai's Premier Padmini taxis and Autorickshaws.

I have nothing against the Padmini's, only the way they are maintained and driven here. As far as Autorickshaw's go their drivers have all the survival insticts of suicidal moths.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:58   #59
BHPian

The reva is one of the worst, you'd be better off with a table apparently !!

Watch this
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 16:53   #60
BHPian

Well i feel the most dangerous vehicle is the 3 wheeler "Chhakada" running in Gujarat.

They are modified Bullet.

A nice ride but very scary.

No suspensions at all.

You will definitely have a slip disc if you use it regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Most Unsafe Vehicles on Indian Roads!-dsc01398.jpg  

loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote