Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th August 2009, 12:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
But I think it is a reasonable expectation of a buyer that if a car can do 125 without straining, its braking and turning abilities will be in some proportion to its power.
Thank you for saying what I have been trying to convey in a tenth of the time and words!
PS: and the auto industry has known for a long time now that fast SUVs are inherently unsafe because of the laws of physics, which puts them on notice to make sure that they have done the necessary engineering before putting these for sale at speeds they can comfortably attain.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th August 2009 at 12:57. Reason: PS
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulee View Post
According to me the most unsafe vehicles are :-

1. Alto ( wherever you see behind every accident and a traffic jam you will find an alto behind every stupid thing you will find an alto. Heck i know of some people who were perfectly good drivers before they sat behind the wheels of an alto).

2. Rickshaws
3. Trucks and Taxies
i think you have been screwed by many altos. by your logic i can say you are the most unsafe person sitting behind the wheels of the cars you drive, because alto, rickshaw and trucks and taxies all are hired to smash your car.

please explain how do you find alto a unsafe car by seeing someone who has crashed his alto.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 13:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re the Alto comment, I suggest that it is the large population of these cars on the road that give you a sense that they are in lots of accidents.
Wait till the Nano reaches full production!
Old 24th August 2009, 04:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i think you have been screwed by many altos. by your logic i can say you are the most unsafe person sitting behind the wheels of the cars you drive, because alto, rickshaw and trucks and taxies all are hired to smash your car.

please explain how do you find alto a unsafe car by seeing someone who has crashed his alto.
Well i havent had any accidents with altos always slow down in front of them. And as far as the unsafe driver comment is concerned have today just completed 10 years of driving without a single accident at speeds you couldnt dream of. But i guess you are an alto owner thats why you are so angry about it.

Anyways my views are not based on one incident but several and i mean SEVERAL. i have seen alto actually be the cause of accidents in MANY MANY MANY places. i have seen traffic jams being caused by them.

And as far as rickshaws are concerned i cant even expect a person in pune to know anything about it try driving in mumbai and you shall soon know. Practically lost my brother and friend because of them.

and as far as the trucks are concerned well you just need to enter the ghats on the expressway (Mumbai - Pune) they actually think they can race each other coming on the fast lane and if you are lucky enough you shall even see an accident wherein a car coming fast on the fast lane crashes into a truck at 1/10h the speed because the truck wanted to overtake.

and about the nano comment i actually dont think that will be the case as if you see people having maruti 800's are one of the most safest drivers around (though atrociously slow). basically people are going to buy nano as there first car and they will treat it really nicely and well.
irulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 09:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

and about the nano comment i actually dont think that will be the case as if you see people having maruti 800's are one of the most safest drivers around (though atrociously slow). basically people are going to buy nano as there first car and they will treat it really nicely and well.
The ones buying the Altos today are just the same people that bought the 800 ten years ago, in terms of market segment. Which is why the Alto is the biggest selling car in India today, having taken over from the 800 that now fading away. Which is why it is most visible in accidents these days. But no one has done a study of accidents per number of cars on the roads - that will throw up very surprising results, is my guess.
Btw, atrociously slow is also bad, it causes others to have the accidents.
Re the Nano, I will repeat what I said, wait and watch. If it is a success, for sure it will lead in the accidents table for cars. Both because of large numbers and the nature of the people that will drive it, as, for the most part, first time drivers.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i havent had any accidents with altos always slow down in front of them. And as far as the unsafe driver comment is concerned have today just completed 10 years of driving without a single accident at speeds you couldnt dream of. But i guess you are an alto owner thats why you are so angry about it.

naah man!! not at all angry. i just believe that its not the car but its the driver behind it who is driving unsafe.

being an alto owner i can vouch for the quality car an alto is. its a very stable car and has very good brakes too. i do crazy speeds on alto just because i get the confidence when sitting behind the wheels. brakes are so accurate that the car does not scatter here and there. i have always done panic brakings in a straight line. be it 80-90-100-120-140 alto doesnt wobble or fear the driver at all.
but yes i do fear in my brothers santro and wagon R at speeds of 120. on the expressway cross winds bother these cars a lot. even bumps dont land them perfectly.

so what i feel is if i am driving the safest car and keep on driving unsafe in the city lanes its but obvious that i will turn that car into unsafe.

we feel that the local transport buses are unsafe, but sit besides the driver and see his patience moving the heavy 8 ton mass in city traffic with all sorts of people jumping in front of them on every meter.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 07:41   #112
BHPian

Default Most unsafe vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
I second this. OMNI is the most unsafe vehicle on today's Indian roads. How can one small steel rod placed between the front headlights act as a saftey for the front passanger's. the whole van is so light that at 80kmph i bet it will start to float in air.

I still remember those hi-roof omni's which were so scray. are they still in production????
When Maruthi introduced "Omni" I remember reading some where that this vehicle is not allowed in Japan as it does not meet their safety standards. I am not sure how far this is true.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 07:47   #113
BHPian

Most unsafe vehicles on indian roads are the trucks which run on our highways.It should be made mandatory that they travel only during the day.Most accidents are caused by these trucks.
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 07:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Most unsafe vehicles on indian roads are the trucks which run on our highways.It should be made mandatory that they travel only during the day.Most accidents are caused by these trucks.
In my many years driving on our highways, some of the best driving I have seen, is by the long distance truckers. I can assure you that they can teach road sense and manners to many of the so called educated people driving fancy cars.
The dangerous trucks are usually the ones that do local duty.
If the highway trucks travelled only by day, you and I would have to spend more money to support our current lifestyle - had you thought of that?!
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 08:09   #115
BHPian

What can they teach us about driving?About slogging the fastest lane forcing other cars to overtake through the left?
In 2007 the largest number of deaths were truckers.23991 as per W.H.O statistics.Still wanna call them safe?
Old 25th August 2009, 08:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
What can they teach us about driving?About slogging the fastest lane forcing other cars to overtake through the left?
In 2007 the largest number of deaths were truckers.23991 as per W.H.O statistics.Still wanna call them safe?
Yes. Do not be misled by raw statistics. A good way to see the data would be to see death by miles covered for each category and sub category. Such information is not available in enough detail, I suspect.
And I have seen as many cars sitting in the fast lane, as I have seen trucks. What can make this behaviour still safe is if it can be predictable. The bulk of the long distance guys are very predictable and it is very easy and safe to drive taking this into account.
On highways I worry more about SUVS, speeding Volvo buses, and private cars ranging from the flashy imports, souped up looking Indian cars, to the picnicking family in the Santro. And people in the intervening villages, for whom, justifiably, the highway is a commuter road to use and to cross. And two wheelers of all shapes and sizes. The long distance trucker is the least of my worries. In over thirty years of driving on Indian highways.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:34   #117
BHPian

I cannot disagree with you on some points because Indian traffic/road safety scene is way too complex to be analysed completely.I think there should be a different set of safety certifications for India specifically because the safety issues in India are very unique
Cattle on the road
Trucks with no safety grill
Pedestrians with no sense of safety
People overtaking through the left
Badly designed speed breakers
Unpredictable craters on the road etc....
The list goes on and on ....
But i think that more than the car,what matters is how they are driven.It boils down to the driver driving them than the cars themselves....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Yes. Do not be misled by raw statistics. A good way to see the data would be to see death by miles covered for each category and sub category. Such information is not available in enough detail, I suspect.
And I have seen as many cars sitting in the fast lane, as I have seen trucks. What can make this behaviour still safe is if it can be predictable. The bulk of the long distance guys are very predictable and it is very easy and safe to drive taking this into account.
On highways I worry more about SUVS, speeding Volvo buses, and private cars ranging from the flashy imports, souped up looking Indian cars, to the picnicking family in the Santro. And people in the intervening villages, for whom, justifiably, the highway is a commuter road to use and to cross. And two wheelers of all shapes and sizes. The long distance trucker is the least of my worries. In over thirty years of driving on Indian highways.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:44   #118
BHPian

Well whatever vehicle one is riding.I feel to avoid an accident you should drive like the majority of the locals do. For eg. In my hometown Pune , I feel people do not respect rules at all. If you drive by the book you look like an idiot. Its no use educating the mass of drivers from cyclists to Bus drivers. So if you can't beat them , join 'em...(not entirely though.) In Mumbai people seem to have a little better sense of traffic rules and lanes when compared to Pune (there are exceptions). In Bangalore , people tend to be docile and submissive and not tend to fight it out and be outright aggressive. Guess what once in Bangalore I saw a motorbike ram a rickshaw from behind. Normally in Pune or Mumbai rickshaw drivers would have ganged up on the poor motorcycle fellow. Here however , neither did the rickshaw driver stopped nor did the motorcycle rider. They went their separate ways ... I was standing on the footpath aghast at the total ignorance or non-aggression
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 08:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
In Bangalore , people tend to be docile and submissive and not tend to fight it out and be outright aggressive.
Are you referring to the same Bangalore I lived in for five years from 2002?!! Must be in a parallel Universe.
PS - I will add to ask, name me one Indian city that has such people!!

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th August 2009 at 08:47. Reason: PS
Old 25th August 2009, 08:54   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Are you referring to the same Bangalore I lived in for five years from 2002?!! Must be in a parallel Universe.
PS - I will add to ask, name me one Indian city that has such people!!
Yes sir...I used to live in Bangalore from 2000 to 2003. Those were the years when traffic jams were very few and traffic was quite OK. It wasn't a madhouse as it is now....
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote