Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th March 2007, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Even my old 1-lit Santro sure didn't feel like a "travelling pregnant box" .
Thats a unique word..

Quote:
At the moment I cannot think of any other Indian car that can take on the Santro Xing under typical Indian highway conditions (narrow roads, lots of slow-moving heavy vehicles, etc.). The Alto 1.1 would probably have been a match if it were available.
I think the 1L Zen will take it down any given day.. we dont even need the 1.1 Alto!

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 12:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai had also compared the Santro with the Swift in a not-so-pofessional way - and was retracted after a Supreme Court gag order by Maruti. They dont realize it but by using the Alto's name in their headline advert, they're generating mindshare for the Alto as well. Besides they look too defensive by such ads.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 12:33   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Actually, if you were in driving seat of that Corolla and a driver "similar" to you in your Santro, Santro would not have been even a distant spec in RVM. Many times, its more of how you drive than what you drive.
Sure. In my case I am very familiar with these roads by now and that counts a lot. Certainly a Corolla can win against the Santro on any decent stretch of road. But under crowded highway conditions, the Corolla driver will be under relentless pressure from the highly maneuverable and smaller Santro. The Corolla driver will have to be prepared to use brute force, i.e., when he gets a clear stretch, he would have to be prepared to hit 150+ so that he can buy himself time when he gets stuck behind slow-moving vehicles the next time. If he is prepared to do that, he will win under most conditions.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 13:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sure. In my case I am very familiar with these roads by now and that counts a lot. Certainly a Corolla can win against the Santro on any decent stretch of road. But under crowded highway conditions, the Corolla driver will be under relentless pressure from the highly maneuverable and smaller Santro. The Corolla driver will have to be prepared to use brute force, i.e., when he gets a clear stretch, he would have to be prepared to hit 150+ so that he can buy himself time when he gets stuck behind slow-moving vehicles the next time. If he is prepared to do that, he will win under most conditions.
Sure, based on your "Highway Conditions", a 125 CC motorcycle can beat the Santro hands down due to it's higher maneuverability.... No offence, but you cannot compare apples to oranges pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
percentage of parts to car price ( i could not understand this) 10.44 for santro and 14.45 for alto. due this santro has amazing economy as per the ad...
Now, thats something good. We hardly look at the percentage of parts to car price. A common term for this will be "maintenance/repair costs".... I have generally seen that the Hyundai parts are priced much lower to other manufacturers (not sure about Maruti and Tata.. but compared to Companies like Honda, Toyota and GM)
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 13:57   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I think the 1L Zen will take it down any given day.. we dont even need the 1.1 Alto!
The advantages that the Santro Xing has over the Zen are greater torque, wider tyres and stiffer rear suspension. The Xing is more maneuverable and has a small min. turning radius (4.4 m vs 4.9 m for the Zen). I think these are crucial advantages for the Xing -- remember, we are comparing the stock vehicles. The Zen has a marginally higher pick-up and the top speeds are virtually identical -- these will vary from car to car anyway, depending on the tuning.

I think it will come down to the drivers involved, but I will back the Xing against the Zen.

Last edited by rks : 4th March 2007 at 14:08.
Old 4th March 2007, 14:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Handling of the zen is generations ahead of the Santro. The Santro is one of the most unstable cars on the highway. I have driven it several times. I have an alto and even that is unstable but not as much as a santro. The turning radius doesnt really matter while driving only while parking or u-turns. The Zens engine is far peppier more rev happy and a better performer.

I think we are going off-topic. Since you own a Santro it is but natural that you will find out better than any other small car, in this case even better than the corolla.

There isn't any point in comparing with the old Zen which is not available anymore.

In this case we are comparing with the Alto. which is even more maneuvrable than the Santro. So in that case it will be faster going by your logic.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 14:14   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Sure, based on your "Highway Conditions", a 125 CC motorcycle can beat the Santro hands down due to it's higher maneuverability.... No offence, but you cannot compare apples to oranges pal.
Point taken. Although I doubt that a 125 cc bike is good for highways and expressways. This argument started when somebody called the Santro a "pregnant traveling box". I think the car deserves a lot more respect than that, at least based on my driving experience. Of course if you are talking about US or European or similar roads, the Santro is under-powered.
Old 4th March 2007, 14:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

If you have all made your respective points, can we get back to the topic?

I thought Santro waale samajhdaar hote hain?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 14:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken. Although I doubt that a 125 cc bike is good for highways and expressways. This argument started when somebody called the Santro a "pregnant traveling box". I think the car deserves a lot more respect than that, at least based on my driving experience. Of course if you are talking about US or European or similar roads, the Santro is under-powered.
Having driven Santro, Zen, Alto and wagonR... I will anyday pick an alto or zen for the handling and the maneouvarability...

However, i own the wagonR cause our needs were space and ride comfort, with decent highway ability...

From my experience, the Santro is a good choice between these... It has acceptable handling, nice engine, and decent enough space... However, its certainly not for taking corners or drag racing...

if someone doesnt like it... he he... Let them not...

By the way... Whatever happened to all the rumours that Santro is going to get a CRDi motor???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 16:01   #25
BHPian

rks, just saw your avatar.I wont comment on what is what.But if you drive that fast on highways, please do it in a car more suited for that kind of driving.No offence meant buddy,I have a Xing in my family.And I drive it a lot,and only because its simply brilliant in the city and much more easier to drive than my S10.The santro does what it does best, zip around and beat anything else on city streets.But thats that.On the highways,I'd dare not take it above 80-100kmh.
You think the santro is a very capable highway car.But I can assure you that if you drive any of the bigger hatches-swift/palio/getz/fusion/aveo-uva, you would find them much better than santro on highways,probably better than a few sedans as well.But,to each his own

Last edited by roms : 4th March 2007 at 16:03.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

In today's TOI - Bangalore edition, an advert released by both the Hyundai dealers here - Advaith and Trident compares the Santro against the Wagon - R !!! Whats with them?? Why the frequent repositioning for?

Would appreciate if someone could post the link to that.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:27   #27
BHPian

their marketing strategies are weird to say the least.. Rather than competing on their strengths/value, they have often (mis)tried to find faults in competetion and ended up horrendously.

Santro should have never been priced under 3L in my opinion. Folks buying a sub 3L car would worry a lot about the FE and service costs. Maruti with M800 or Alto are near perfect here.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 12:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Santro is priced between 2.69L to 3.76L, ex-showroom Bangalore. This range includes Maruti's Alto Lx-Lxi, Zen Estilo Lx-Vxi, WagonR Lx-Vxi. So comparison is inevitable.
Santro competes against all the above 3 cars from Maruti.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 13:10   #29
BHPian

I agree, Santro competes with Maruti range from Alto,Estillo,WagonR. If one ignores Santro vs Swift compare, IMO its ok to compare with Alto. Let us not forget that in India, Hyundai is very near Maruti in After Sales Service, support. They are good counterweight for Maruti else Maruti would have become FIAT! Hyundai were first to introduce power steering, ABS, 1.1L engine in B category forcing Maruti to do the same in (old) Zen, Wagon R. Let us give credit where it is due

Last edited by cartech : 16th March 2007 at 13:11.
cartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 14:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
I agree, Santro competes with Maruti range from Alto,Estillo,WagonR. If one ignores Santro vs Swift compare, IMO its ok to compare with Alto. Let us not forget that in India, Hyundai is very near Maruti in After Sales Service, support. They are good counterweight for Maruti else Maruti would have become FIAT! Hyundai were first to introduce power steering, ABS, 1.1L engine in B category forcing Maruti to do the same in (old) Zen, Wagon R. Let us give credit where it is due
Well said cartech. competition among them is good for us.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote