Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2009, 22:39   #256
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why Mitsubishi wants to put the Lancer front on every car. There are limits! You can't put the same front-end on a hatch, sedan and an SUV!
Old 17th September 2009, 07:49   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I don't understand why Mitsubishi wants to put the Lancer front on every car. There are limits! You can't put the same front-end on a hatch, sedan and an SUV!
Im pretty sure they will put the same Front to the Colt as well. Now that would be one ugly looking car. Its really ugly as it is IMO.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:18   #258
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why Mitsubishi wants to put the Lancer front on every car !
one word "Branding" !

-- ill placed notions about branding, implemented by poor judges of art and aesthetics.

It's all about branding and image-building by the me-too Pinin Farinas and also-ran Michelottis of the world.

Don't we see the Scorpio front on the Xylo?
And the Skoda vestigeal chrome radiator grille on every Skoda product?

When these things float around long enough, people get culturally conditioned.

If the car turns out expensive -- which it is slated to be, at least in India -- it will get perceived as a status-symbol; some celebrity will buy it, and then magazines may even judge it to be an objet du désir -- some equally tasteless automotive journalist will wax eloquent about the "great" beauty of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Ram
Old 17th September 2009, 15:54   #259
BANNED

this front just looks good on the EVO X or new Lacer. i think i need to email this link to the mitsubishi people and make them realise that they are getting late for the launch of new lancer.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:19   #260
Senior - BHPian

Just read in the November autocar edition that the new lancer is finally on its way and should be in the showrooms by April 2010. The car will be priced between 11 to 13 lacs. Under the hood, it will have a 2.0 MIVEC motor making 150 bhp and as a diesel option it will have the VW 140bhp pumpe-duse engine.

However, last year also, autocar reported that lancer may be launched in April 2009, but it wasnt. So this time, can be be sure that it really will be in showrooms in April2010.

Further, even if the company launches the car in April 2010, it will have corolla Altis, honda civic and the laura to compete to. Also, it has the newly launched Chevy cruse to compete to, in the diesel mode. Therefore, HM-Mitsubishi should learn from the mistakes they made whicle launching Cedia, (price was high, and marketing was pathetic). People still dont know that a car named Cedia exist.

Lastly, I recently had a word with Asian Motor's sales manager and he confirmed that Cedia will have minor engine tweeks in April 2010 to make it Euro 4 compliant. Now with th new lancer comming in, would HM want to further sell the cedia (selling in very few numbers). I am thinking aloud on this. I guess, they may phase it out, or they may drop the prices further. But whatever they do, I would love to see the new lancer as a Hit model, which I guess is a difficult situation with HM working for Mitsubishi.

We definately can say "Awsome Engineering, Aweful Management" in case of HM-Mitsubishi.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th October 2009 at 17:25.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:07   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
So this time, can be be sure that it really will be in showrooms in April2010.
Maybe it will make a lot more easier for the HM accountants and finance management to keep their books if the car is launched on 1 APR 2010...

Who knows, they might be still using Lotus 1-2-3 on MS-DOS...

Quote:
Further, even if the company launches the car in April 2010, it will have corolla Altis, honda civic and the laura to compete to. Also, it has the newly launched Chevy cruse to compete to, in the diesel mode.
Competition is their favorite four-letter word. Another frequently-used expletive is Liberalization.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 27th October 2009 at 20:15.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:16   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The outlander gets uglier,with the new lancer face, as this version released in china shows. Pics courtesy the website shown in the pics.
Here comes another porsche stuff but the cayenne is still digestible. This is outright OMG !
Old 28th October 2009, 01:12   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just read in the November autocar edition that the new lancer is finally on its way and should be in the showrooms by April 2010. The car will be priced between 11 to 13 lacs. Under the hood, it will have a 2.0 MIVEC motor making 150 bhp and as a diesel option it will have the VW 140bhp pumpe-duse engine.
Nice !! Hope they price it below the Civic/Altis.
150 Mivec. Slurrp. Even if they detune to 140ish. Slurrp.

However, if it starts at around 11, then the Cedia will have a tough time selling at 10. So Cedia prices could go down further, while the old Lancer would surely not be made BS IV anymore and could be phased out - in the BS IV cities at least.

HM showroom folks did say that the EVO would arrive early next year - so sounds logical that they should follow up with the 2009 Lancer. But then, when have HM been logical.
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:02   #264
Senior - BHPian

Spotted testing in India by Indianautos blog. Looks like we aren't far away from getting the Lancer here

http://***************.com/2010/03/s...ndia-exclusive

EDIT: No idea why are those stars coming in the link?
Attached Images

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd March 2010 at 00:05.
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:33   #265
BHPian

To be honest i am not so worried about when it will be launched . I am more worried about when will it be readily availaible to buy. Because i am pretty sure it will get good decent bookings and then you have to wait for another 7 months to have the keys of your car.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:03   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
To be honest i am not so worried about when it will be launched . I am more worried about when will it be readily availaible to buy. Because i am pretty sure it will get good decent bookings and then you have to wait for another 7 months to have the keys of your car.
Why so?is Mitsubishi production very irratic?
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:45   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spotted testing in India by Indianautos blog. Looks like we aren't far away from getting the Lancer here

EDIT: No idea why are those stars coming in the link?
I doubt it was a test car because similar pics were clicked in Kolkata last year. it was spotted by anish9000 on Hazra Road, Kolkata. Note - it was parked on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1200898-post315.html

Most probably, for delivery at Nepal/Bhutan.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 22nd March 2010 at 17:48.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:53   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw another brand new white Lancer ( guess top end version as it had OE alloys)last day! Comeon! why buy a new Lancer now!

Its OT; but wanted to share.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:21   #269
Team-BHP Support

From what I hear this ain't coming out before 2011.

They want to get it perfect and they want a good diesel engine at launch itself.

Since Mitsubishi is sourcing engines from VW and VW is switching over from PD to CRDi, Mitsu might be looking at something else.

The EVO will come first to rebuild the Lancer brand and then they will get the Lancer only after that.

Also on the cards is the Pajero sport which may end up coming before the Lancer itself.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:24   #270
BHPian

HM-Mitsubishi serious messed the lead brand value it created with the initial lancer. Its pretty much been downhill since then. Im saddened to see that so much opportunity was just wasted for Mitsubishi because of its poor choice for a local partner. HM on the other hand, has done well s being a contract engine manufacturer for ford.

I would seriously hope that the new lancer and outlander do something for the Mitsubishi. If its even more serious about India, i would love to see it launch the Minica, Colt, EK Wagon and Gallant

Last edited by acidkill : 22nd March 2010 at 22:43.
Closed Thread