Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th September 2011, 13:58   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Mitsubishi Lancer. When will it come to India?

Its pathetic this Mistubishi's marketing awareness or market knowledge!
I went to Mistubishi's Asia to look for any updates and found this:
New Mitsubishi Lancer. When will it come to India?-mitsu1.jpg

While Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam has sales of new Lancer, India doesn't appear in the list. The same website also says Pajero Sport production has been started in Bangladesh (!) in this August! only Mitsubishi can equal Mitsubishi in Marketing!
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 15:35   #287
Senior - BHPian

'Indians are poor and can't pay for a well heeled vehicle'- That is not the case as much more expensive cars are selling in decent nos. 'Indians can manage with old tech, they don't new avatars'- if this is the case then it's biggest blunder by Mitsubishi. Ford,Fiat,etc have committed such mistakes in past and have failed miserably. PROBLEM: 1) Mitsubishi is spoiling its legendary name by not bringing in good cars in its portfolio. 2) It is trying to be blind to the market demand. Indians are price conscious,fuel conscious and yet it tries to sell a petrol SAV when they have an arsenal of good diesel engines. 3) It is still using imported parts after operating so long in this country. Result- very high spare prices. 4) Dated models which have a very good legacy but too old to compete with 'modern' machines IMHO it should severe ties with HM and starting working alone from scratch,beginning with launching the new Lancer(in both P and D) and a better Pajero at the same price.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:40   #288
BHPian

I am

When Audi / BMW / Merc, Ferraris and Maseratis and JLRs come and pitch their latest, and Mitsubishi use their decades old models (Pajero) and 2 gen old Lancer.

It is not the question of intent, but the question of will. (I was talking about Fiat in Aug Sales thread) - I don't bother of Mitsu because, Mitsu-India is tied up with HM, the Ambassador people who were almost bankrupt some time ago (IIRC)

These guys would love to sell the lancer X here. But, I think they got no money. Parent Mitsu may also be in trouble. And this will only cause an avalanche reaction. (Since they don't launch new models, their brand name will go to dogs - So, when one of word's largest car markets gets there, they'll not have a pie). It is just the question of taking risks for the long term.

I used to hear buzz of Evo X a couple of years BEFORE it was launched. (Showcased in 2005, and launched in Jan 2007). Did you hear about Evo XI, EVER? Even Mitsu wanted to discontinue it. They'll focus on Electrical cars and Turbo Diesels :P

I mention about Evos because, lancers are based on the Evos.

And, Mitsubishi India created a buzz ALL OVER, a few months ago before launch of Evo X. What did they do? They priced it at a brain-numbing 50 lakhs ex showroom and 6 months warranty. I doubt even if they made a single sale.

If you have any hope of Mitsu launching their Lancer X, here in India, DONT. Unless something drastic happens with Mitsu Japan, and they decide to break their partnership HM, and they invest in Mitsu India, they'll continue to be non-entities in the market - Selling overpriced CBUs and antiquated SUVs
Old 9th August 2012, 00:54   #289
BHPian

My interest in this car has not died yet though it looks like HM hasn't left any stone un-turned to douse whatever little burning fire is left enthusiasts looking forward to the new Lancer.

I do not know the credibility of this:

Mitsubishi New Lancer in India - Prices, Reviews & Photos - CarWale

I was just wondering if anyone has got any recent updates/ rumours around the possibility of new Lancer being launched in India. As per above post, it looks like it is to be expected sometime in Nov-Dec. Head says - "not possible" and Heart says - "It's about time"
Old 10th August 2012, 13:38   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFoot View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has got any recent updates/ rumours around the possibility of new Lancer being launched in India. As per above post, it looks like it is to be expected sometime in Nov-Dec. Head says - "not possible" and Heart says - "It's about time"
The upcoming cars page does feature the new Lancer, but please have a look at the confidence level - it says 'Low'. Hence - highly unlikely IMO.

Upcoming Cars in India - Expected Launches in 2011 / 2012 - CarWale

Take a look at no. 25.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:41   #291
BHPian

^^ Hindustan Motors Annual Report lists its upcoming launches in the coming fiscal - it said in FY 11 annual report that Pajero Sport / Outlander 7 seater / upgraded Amby would be launched in FY 12, which then came about. I checked their Annual Report this year for launches in FY 13. No mention of any new launches.

Cheers,
Old 10th August 2012, 14:37   #292
BHPian

AFAIK HM Mitsubishi relationship is on the rocks, and Mitsubishi is unsure if HM can continue (it has -ve net worth). Hence the reticence to share new tech / introduce new models.
Old 13th September 2012, 13:01   #293
Senior - BHPian

Just taking a look at Mitsubishi India website and they now have Cedia Select with this thing called Carpad with Live TV and MampmyIndia 3.0, (Kenwood 6.1" touch screen Bluetooth enabled DVD player) rear camera.! Price ins not on the page. Should be still around 9 Lacs I guess. Once again, no sign of any advertisement of this so called "offer"!
Old 25th October 2012, 10:19   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer -2014 to shrink.

Report states that the next-generation model could be a relatively drastic departure from the car . Mitsubishi Motors Corporation President Osamu Masuko told Australian site The Motor Report that the new Lancer will be smaller than the current car, going in a different direction than the vast majority of other automakers.

Quote:
There are both pros and cons to this decision. On the plus side, a smaller car means the Lancer will likely have a weight advantage over other vehicles in its class. That said, Mitsubishi will need to find ways to maximize interior space and create efficient packaging in order to still have its compact sedan remain competitive with strong offerings like the Hyundai Elantra, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus and so on.
source: The Motor Report
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 17:52   #295
BHPian

Next-Gen Mitsubishi Lancer delayed till 2014 Finally when Mitsubishi India is finally getting its act together by opening new showrooms all across the country and taking off dead products from its portfolio, the car has got delayed by two years and it is relevant to India as it has a very good possibility that the next gen Lancer will head to India sometime in the future.

Source : http://www.caradvice.com.au/204543/m...ed-until-2014/
Old 11th December 2012, 18:10   #296
BHPian

Post Re: New Mitsubishi Lancer. When will it come to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
Next-Gen Mitsubishi Lancer delayed till 2014 Finally when Mitsubishi India is finally getting its act together by opening new showrooms all across the country and taking off dead products from its portfolio, the car has got delayed by two years and it is relevant to India as it has a very good possibility that the next gen Lancer will head to India sometime in the future.

Source : http://www.caradvice.com.au/204543/m...ed-until-2014/
It is a Catch-22 situation for Mitsubishi my friend. They aren't exactly going great guns - more so here in India - so the cash-flow situation must be really tight. In such situations, although there may be a strong intent of an overhaul of sorts, they are forced to be more practical and cautious. They've probably made a conscious decision to prioritize where they're going to invest their dollar. As the product manager says, right now from Mitsubishi's point of view, it is probably on the more profitable SUV segment. That is where Mitsubishi feels more confident than bringing the Lancer to India.

From our standpoint though, it is an unfortunate piece of news. The Lancer is such a wonderful all-round package and will give most cars today, a run for their money.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 11th December 2012 at 18:28.
Old 11th December 2012, 22:34   #297
Senior - BHPian

Been waiting for this since I was 17 ( a year ago) it's sad how they are not doing very well right now even in other parts of the world :/
Old 11th December 2012, 23:24   #298
Senior - BHPian

I think India missed one generation of Lancer totally, except in the Evo form. From a long term strategy perspective, I think Mitsubishi will struggle with the existing portfolio to make any inroads in the Indian market. The C/D segment sedan market where the Lancer should slot in is shrinking fast with the advent of lower priced SUVs with similar equipment levels and size. If they have a product to slot in there (the Outlander sport in the US comes into my mind), that could be a good product they can offer, plus also the small car that they have been working on. Lancer in the evo form is the only one that might find some takers, and that if priced aggressively.
Old 11th December 2012, 23:31   #299
Senior - BHPian

I can completely understand the issues the company might be facing now. It would have been nice to have a lancer but then they might not have profited much. I believe they must place their small car development and launch in our country and countries such as ours at top priority ( the mirage I mean )
Old 14th December 2012, 01:27   #300
BHPian

Mitsubishi has finally decided to exit the hatch/sedan segment in India and focus only on the more profitable SUVs. No Mirage for India as well as the Cedia to be phased out.

This was reported earlier by the Financial Express and is also discussed in the Mitsubishi Mirage thread on the forum.

Catch the story here:

http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ndia/1042471/1

Last edited by Omtoatom : 14th December 2012 at 01:33.
Closed Thread