Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th April 2007, 19:57   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If they do put in the M16, Bangalore is going to be so happy. All you need is a couple of camshafts, and voila, 125 bhp!
How about the increased compression ratio on the 125 bhp spec version? Yeah its more than just a couple of camshafts but still do-able.
Old 26th April 2007, 21:02   #227
BHPian

interesting line that i found on teh link... ." The positioning for the SX4 will be that of a small second car for those who own Mercedes Benz and BMW models."

Now is that a hint that SX4 is not going to be the traditional " less expensive to maintain" car ?
Old 26th April 2007, 23:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine got to see the interior of the car (don't ask me how, he isn't telling me), and he says the interior borrows extensively from the Swift's parts bin. Like the steering, gear knob, A/C vents etc.

It looks all right, but he's upgrading from a Swift, and he wanted to see something different and more upmarket. He is in the market for a car, and he's ended up booking a Fiesta.

Last edited by hydrashok : 26th April 2007 at 23:21.
Old 26th April 2007, 23:19   #229

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
interesting line that i found on teh link... ." The positioning for the SX4 will be that of a small second car for those who own Mercedes Benz and BMW models."

Now is that a hint that SX4 is not going to be the traditional " less expensive to maintain" car ?
I was a little surprised reading this line from the big boss at Maruti himself ... Is it just me or does anyone else detect a snobbish attitude here ... maybe even a hint of arrogance ???
Old 26th April 2007, 23:35   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

any idea wether the 1.3d option will be available on launch , cause that sounds more practical (as i have a running of approx. 50-60 kms. daily)
Old 26th April 2007, 23:46   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_entity View Post
I was a little surprised reading this line from the big boss at Maruti himself ... Is it just me or does anyone else detect a snobbish attitude here ... maybe even a hint of arrogance ???
They tried the same thing with the Swift.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:10   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If they do put in the M16, Bangalore is going to be so happy. All you need is a couple of camshafts, and voila, 125 bhp!
Well not really, they won't have oil cooled, shot-peened pistons. The M16 in the Swift Sport runs maniac 11:1 CR, I think. And it has variable valve timing.

Are they really going to run the M-series? I thought it'd be the G16B again. Oh, well about time we could a new engine series. But, I still think the 205s R16 (as Rt pointed out in another thread) is going to be an overkill. Expect people to start cribbing about FE also then.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:48   #233
Senior - BHPian

If it's the M, it will have variable valve timing. They've gone on record to say that they will be putting in a new block.

And how could I forget the oil-cooled, shot-peened pistons?
Old 27th April 2007, 01:09   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Its not hint of arrogance. Its plain way too arrogant. Now imagine only the BMW and Benz owners buying this car...

Just for that statement, I am thinking hell with SX4 i'm not gonna buy it. Lets see what Maruti does if a 1000 people think like me.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:31   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the reason they are bringing in the M series is to be able to meet emissions on exports that go out of here to Europe.

I agree, 190 is super high..that SUV territory. The SX4 hatchback AWD which has 190mm GC also has fender flares to cover the gap in the wheel well.

The name SX4 is a misnomer because its not gonna have 4wd. Oh well!
Old 27th April 2007, 03:41   #236
BHPian

where is the 2.0l that the US market gets??
Old 27th April 2007, 08:50   #237
BHPian

hi guys,
Saw the New baleno SX4 yesterday.They were getting it down from the trailer .It was black in colour.It looks much better than in the photographs.Also the wheels were 16".looks like it could be launched any of these days.
cheers.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:26   #238
BHPian

why are they not retaining the old name (baleno) for the SX4....
does it mean that the baleno will be completely out of the market
Old 27th April 2007, 11:27   #239
BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised too! My first impression was that the website was probably misreporting. It's not unusual for these mags to add their own bits.

I don't think MUL will be snobbish enough to make statements like these. They're trying to compete with Honda City and we all seem to be okay with that. Honda City has done pretty well and matching Honda's quality(I agree the Hondas are still overpriced) itself would be something of an achievement - leave alone wooing BMW and Merc owners to buy SX4 as their second car.

Something we haven't discussed so far - we don't seem to know much about the FE/performance of the new Suzuki engines. City's success has been partly due to it's FE. To be able to give City a good fight, I believe SX4 will have to offer a good combination of FE/performance - much like the Baleno has today.
Old 27th April 2007, 13:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post

If I can afford a BMW or a C class - then what would I use as my second car - lets see - if I have a Honda city (at 8 lacs) my 2nd car is typically an alto/santro ( 3 lacs approx) - using that perspective - If i have C - class ( otr delh approx 29 lac?) my 2nd car would be typically be >10 lacs OTR - at that price point I would go for a Innova (the V variant) if I have a large family or a Corolla as my 2nd car - for the spouse and/or the dog

If someone has a E/S class his second car would typically be an SUV - like the Pajero/ Nissan X trail and his 3rd car would be....
Closed Thread