Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2007, 17:33   #31
BHPian

Supreme...If you consider that the SX4 sedan is in Corolla territory in terms of size, then the pricing does'nt seem too bad. I also have a feeling that the price range of 7-8 L thats being bandied about is to throw dust in the eyes of the competitors. The same thing happened with the Swift. The launch price of the Swift was a shocker as the competition was expecting a higher price. My gut feeling is the same will happen with the SX4 sedan. I won't be surprised if Maruti has another winner on its hands.
Old 9th March 2007, 18:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has always been innovative in thrashing the competition and they do it in style.

What I seriously doubt is whether buyers who are ready to spend 6.5L+ on a sedan would perceive Maruti products as top quality cars.

Time has shown that Maruti cars are more reliable and practical to drive than a lot premium cars. Maruti's image, (lets face it) has always been a hatch manufacturer's one. The average premium buyer will keep Maruti low on his target list.

Add a 7L+ pricing to that perception, we do not have a winner unless, Jagdishji surprises us all on the launch date.
Old 9th March 2007, 19:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well If we jsut focus on name and price according to me is wrong. After buying Swift I realized Maruti concentrates only on price, economy.

So far Maruti cars not known for practicality.

If New Baleno has Corrolla's interior space then it will be good move by Maruti.

So for all Maruti cars are cramped ones, I agree they are easy to drive and cheap to buy and maintain.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th March 2007, 20:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
So far Maruti cars not known for practicality
I agree they are easy to drive and cheap to buy and maintain.Ravi.
Isnt this mean that Maruti is practical?
Old 9th March 2007, 21:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Maruti’s makeover with sedan SX4 (deccanherald article)
todays paper bangalore.

Maruti Suzuki is heading for an image makeover throughits new sedan SX4, which is expected to hit the Indianroads by mid-May with a price tag in the range of Rs 7-8lakh. While unveiling the hatchback version of the vehicle for European market at the Auto Show in Geneva onThursday, Suzuki Motor Corp Board Member and SeniorOperating Officer Toshihiro Suzuki said the sedan versionof the car would be launched in India soon. MUL is making an all-out effort to prove itself in the bigger segmentstoo, after the success it has achieved with small andcompact cars. In India, SX4 will replace MUL’s previoussedan ‘Baleno’, which has been phased out.

Last edited by GeekSrik : 9th March 2007 at 21:36.
Old 9th March 2007, 22:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

photographs sure look promising... I bet Maruti has a winner, specially if the pricing doesnt go up by much...

Old 10th March 2007, 00:48   #37
BHPian

I went to check out Swift D yesterday and the enquired about the new Baleno. The salesguy informed me that they have been that the new Baleno may see some delays of about 2-3 more months and that they should not tell the customers that it is coming in April.
Old 10th March 2007, 08:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
I went to check out Swift D yesterday and the enquired about the new Baleno. The salesguy informed me that they have been that the new Baleno may see some delays of about 2-3 more months and that they should not tell the customers that it is coming in April.
these sales guys never promote the yet to be launched products, they try to sell the current products they have.
Old 11th March 2007, 08:14   #39
BHPian

By May, Maruti will have SX4, a brand new sedan that could dramatically alter buyer perception about the company's passenger car design and manufacturing prowess

Story : The Hindu Business Line : Suzuki SX4 — a slick sedan from Maruti
Old 12th March 2007, 09:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest issue of Outlook also has news about the new sedan with the same pic that we have on this thread. Some gut feeling tells me that this car is going to do it for MUL in that segment.

Floyd, are you sure that it is comparable with the Corolla in size ? To me from the pics, it looks smaller than a Corolla. But then pics can be deceptive.
Old 12th March 2007, 09:57   #41
BHPian

Is the current Baleno still available. Heard from some folks that there is a 1,00,000 discount being given on the existing Baleno by Maruti. I thought they stopped production of the Baleno quite sometime back.

I guess with SX4 round the corner, huge discounts on the out going model is bound to happen
Old 12th March 2007, 10:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Who thought Maruti would be able to sell a hatch with a price that neared 6 lakh. People thought its almost the price of a sedan and would not sell. Well, they have been proved wrong.
Does anyone know about the features of SX4 ? ABS, airbags etc., If they can offer all this even at the current prices of other cars they would blaze away to yet another hit.
Old 12th March 2007, 11:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Floyd, are you sure that it is comparable with the Corolla in size ? To me from the pics, it looks smaller than a Corolla. But then pics can be deceptive.
Yes..Supreme, it is. For reference, I had given the dimensional comparison in the other thread on the NMB quoting the dimensions of the Chinese SX4 sedan. Do check out that thread. Honda, Ford and Hyundai should be worried as the car will have the Baleno engine (to keep costs down) in a higher state of tune (100 bhp), more interior space than the City, Verna and Fiesta and interior quality comparable to the City with the option of climate control. I'm pretty sure the pricing too is going to be very attractive.
Old 12th March 2007, 13:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Yes..Supreme, it is. For reference, I had given the dimensional comparison in the other thread on the NMB quoting the dimensions of the Chinese SX4 sedan. Do check out that thread. Honda, Ford and Hyundai should be worried as the car will have the Baleno engine (to keep costs down) in a higher state of tune (100 bhp), more interior space than the City, Verna and Fiesta and interior quality comparable to the City with the option of climate control. I'm pretty sure the pricing too is going to be very attractive.
The Corolla width is 1705 mm and the old Baleno has 1690 mm. That is really only a marginal difference. I don't know how much it translates to internal space difference. It shouldn't be much anyway.

Regards,

Pradeep
Old 12th March 2007, 14:45   #45
BHPian

As per
Autonet.ca - 2008 Suzuki SX4 sedan SX4 goes 4-door: At the 2007 New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) Suzuki is set to reveal the North American version of the all-new 2008 SX4 sedan, a vehicle derived from the dearly departed Swift.

SX4 sedan dimensions are
Length: 4,490 mm
Wheelbase: 2,500 mm
Width: 1,730 mm
Height: 1,545 mm

Toyota Corolla Dimensions are
Overall Length x Width x Height 4530 mm x 1705 mm x 1490 mm

So the length is 4 cm less and otherwise it is pretty huge in comparison

regards
POGU
Closed Thread