Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 20:53   #721
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Maruti has been doing a good thing to introduce safety features ABS/ Airbags/ EBD forcing the competition to think. It does not matter if it has built tin boxes in the past. I think this pattern continues (starting with Swift, now SX4).
sreenivass is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 20:54   #722
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 221
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Does the SX4 have an all wheel ABS or just a 2 wheel ABS. Can some one clarify..??
vvrchandra is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:08   #723
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It dosen't. My hunch was right, the VVT is removed for Indian market. website only talks about 16V DOHC and drive by wire throttle. If they had VVT, I'm pretty sure they would have tom-tommed it to full effect during the launch.
Then they should have plonked in the OMB engine itself, isnt it?
It didnt have any short-comings as far as T-BHP was concerned anyways
Equus is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:08   #724
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Skirtings,spoilers come as MGA. Also found the integrated stereo as an accessory,could somebody confirm if integrated stereo with steering controls could be retrofitted onto the Vxi model.

ABS atleast should have been optional for the VXi model is the only possible thing I could think of that Maruti could have done better.

Quote:
I believe a (further) bulk order discount can be availed for Tbhpians...people interested may please contact.....(J.K)
Is this true,kindly PM me if something works out.
rahul_intlad is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:10   #725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 187
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I had a test drive , SX4 Zxi, the car handles quite well, good interiors and pickup, could not take it for a long drive as the queue of people wanting a TD was long at the showroom. My initial feeling is kinda good but somehow I felt the AC lacking, maybe it was the hot summer sun but I have heard about OMB chilling within few mins ? didn't feel the same with SX4, the blower was at full and Temp setting at 20 but the car didn't feel cool enough. Braking is good and straight line...

Maybe will have a TD in a few days when the rush subsides as AC is one of the very important thing on my list ...Delhi summers are long and hot!

The sales guy told FE of 15 , I doubt it , even if its 12 I think its good as the car is heavy (Surprisingly doesn't feel heavy while driving), the steering seems light and in control. Rear leg room is kinda ok not very spacious I think and AC was less effective in the rear seat.

Overall a good package I think...Do post your own TD notes...
Shankyz is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:14   #726
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Dunno but tyres may play havoc with the fuel efficiency figures. I dont think the SX4 needs 205 sections tyres... from undertyred cars to overtyred one's, maruti needs to learn. If the fuel efficiency is below 11-12 kmpl which most of the midsize do at the moment, the SX4 might have toughtimes ahead coz no matter how good or bad the car, fuel average sells in India.

P.S. With a 1185 kgs kerb weight and 205 Section tyres, and a 1.6 DOHC engine, I very much doubt if it can give 12+ kmpl.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:16   #727
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default some facts we we need to ponder over

hey guys i had a look at the sx4 today at rohan motors noida.. some facts we we all need to ponder over before we buy this car

My first impression when i saw the car from the front naah i wanst happy it dint loook like a sedan .. the shape of the car is somewhat weird( its different for sure).the car is raised and the raise is visible and it looks very very stocky.

from the rear it reminded me of a raised indigo =)
sideways well somewhat bubble shaped
front-> again the look of an indigo

ok now interiors

i sat in the car front /back amazing interiors
at the price i wud give it 8/10 for interiors and the space .. boot is huge
performance-> dunno dint drive it

IMO i wud say that the car doesn look classy compared to the city .. but it is VFM great interiors great goodies looks arent that good but who cares when u get a car at this price i think u can trade off the looks.

MILEAGE-hmm the salesman told me mileage wont be more than 10/12 .
if this is the case i think maruti has errered here.. Indian mindset is such that people who buy cars in the region of 6-7 lkhs are the upwardly mobile customers who are trying to achieve( i.e moving from the hatchbacks to sedans).. if this is the F.E of the car it might just go the old baleno way

SIMPLE LOGIC : honda city 60 grand more F.E around 15-16 reliable engine more resale..better engine.in the longer run the price of a city will then be
justified.

For me the target market of this car would be->
a) maruti loyal fans
b) people who appreciate classy interiors and gizmos more than looks(technology freaks )
c) customers who arent very consious about personality/status etc etc
d) customers who stick to a car brand for 6-7 years

so if u fall in the above categories buy it outrightly..

All in all the above inferences are an extremely honest opinion which im sure some may aggree and some vociferously disagree.

i would not put an immediate BUY option on this car primarily because competitors like honda may reduce prices r offers goodies .

WAIT N WATCH for a month im sure ill be worth the wait after all we all want the best.
karun malik is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:24   #728
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Swift was good with Look and price I feel SX4 is good only with pricing, look wise not so good bit odd according to me.

Person who look for 7lac and above segment who will trust MUL ?

SX4 can be driver oriented car but can't beat luxury cars like NHC, Aveo, Civic, Corolla, Optra.

Let me comment more once I see the car

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I personally respect MUL for its economy cars not for luxury segments nor class leading impression no quality.
ravibhat is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:27   #729
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dunno but tyres may play havoc with the fuel efficiency figures. I dont think the SX4 needs 205 sections tyres... from undertyred cars to overtyred one's, maruti needs to learn. If the fuel efficiency is below 11-12 kmpl which most of the midsize do at the moment, the SX4 might have toughtimes ahead coz no matter how good or bad the car, fuel average sells in India.

P.S. With a 1185 kgs kerb weight and 205 Section tyres, and a 1.6 DOHC engine, I very much doubt if it can give 12+ kmpl.
You are quite ill informed.... If tyre sizes was all that translated into FE, than probably Fiat Palio 1.6 would give more FE than Toyota Carolla thats shod with 195 rubber as opposed to 175 in Palio. But Corolla owners consistantly vouch for FE around 11-12 with AC and Palio 1.6 owners get under 10 kmpl. Its not just about engine size or tyre size, its about how inherently fuel efficient the engine is.

In India, the general automakers and public mentality is such that we rate safety the least and value things like FE. So you have manufacturers putting 1.8 ltr engine cars on tyres that are suited for bicycles. This means poorer traction, more chances of accidents and poor braking and cornering. However it does increase the FE and reduce COSTS. This is why you have punny lil tyres.

Maruti should be applauded for giving us safety features that put cars like Optra 1.6 basic or NHC or Verna Diesel to shame at a price thats so outstanding. Not only that, you now have a properly tyre sized car, that tell manf such as honda, that you can no longer push 195 rubber on a 12 lakh rupee car to save money...

I maruti for being the class leader and trend setter. I predict that sx4 would do to sedans what swift did to premium hatchbacks.
aseem is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:31   #730
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

At a weight of almost 1200 kgs , 205 tyres and a 102 bhp (non VVT) engine the SX4 could be a tad underpowered .. FE depends on where the torque is generated .. And how one uses the throttle basically ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower
My hunch was right, the VVT is removed for Indian market.
If it did have VVT it would have been simple to spot .. Normally swift's run the badging on top/bottom of the side indicators .. For eg : DDis on the diesel's ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
I may be a part of a very small minority who actually like the looks of the OMB
Bingo .. Add me to that list ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by equus
Then they should have plonked in the OMB engine itself, isnt it?
That would have been the dumbest thing to do considering the weight .. It would be worse than the NHC .. Performance wise that is ..

Hope MUL had actually revamped the looks of the baleno a bit , added ABS , EBD , airbags (remember these are standard in few countries where the baleno is sold) and plonked in the M16A .. Now that would have been a real killer .. If only wishes were horses ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 7th May 2007 at 21:34.
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:38   #731
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
You are quite ill informed.... If tyre sizes was all that translated into FE, than probably Fiat Palio 1.6 would give more FE than Toyota Carolla thats shod with 195 rubber as opposed to 175 in Palio. But Corolla owners consistantly vouch for FE around 11-12 with AC and Palio 1.6 owners get under 10 kmpl. Its not just about engine size or tyre size, its about how inherently fuel efficient the engine is.

In India, the general automakers and public mentality is such that we rate safety the least and value things like FE. So you have manufacturers putting 1.8 ltr engine cars on tyres that are suited for bicycles. This means poorer traction, more chances of accidents and poor braking and cornering. However it does increase the FE and reduce COSTS. This is why you have punny lil tyres.

Maruti should be applauded for giving us safety features that put cars like Optra 1.6 basic or NHC or Verna Diesel to shame at a price thats so outstanding. Not only that, you now have a properly tyre sized car, that tell manf such as honda, that you can no longer push 195 rubber on a 12 lakh rupee car to save money...

I maruti for being the class leader and trend setter. I predict that sx4 would do to sedans what swift did to premium hatchbacks.
You havent read my post clearly, hold your horses dude. I never said fuel efficiency "only" depends on tyre size, i said its one of the factors. I dont think a sedan of the size of SX4 with a 1.6 litre engine needs 205 section tyres. 195 was more than enough.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:39   #732
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
yes 100%. they are 205/60-16 JK vectras on the ZXi. have a look at the specs online at :: MARUTI SUZUKI SX4 ::

the VXi has 195/65-15 on steel wheels.
Hey, I am not able to see anything on the site other than the SX4 homepage, No links are visible. Anything to do with the country or any setting?
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:40   #733
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,384 Times
Default

clear your cache and delete cookies.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:44   #734
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
At a weight of almost 1200 kgs , 205 tyres and a 102 bhp (non VVT) engine the SX4 could be a tad underpowered .. FE depends on where the torque is generated .. And how one uses the throttle basically ..
..
Agree its underpowered. At least by 10 horses. Definitely going to effect the FTD factor, but overall a great city car. Not the kind that you want to go on a hill with. But adequate power when compared with NHC, Fiesta Diesel, Optra 1.6 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

If it did have VVT it would have been simple to spot .. Normally swift's run the badging on top/bottom of the side indicators .. For eg : DDis on the diesel's ..
..
Totally agree. Its a rip off. But barring Honda City Vtec which is 8 Lakh OTR no other car in this category has a better petrol engine, with or without VVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
OMB looks better... Bingo .. Add me to that list ..
..
Although I have seen some really nice looking Baleno on this forum... However in general you will find that most ppl dont like the looks of the old baleno. However you either love it, or you dont like it... I come in the latter category... . Needless to say, the back of SX4 looks like an oddball... but I do like the contemporary front and the fresh looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Hope MUL had actually revamped the looks of the baleno a bit , added ABS , EBD , airbags (remember these are standard in few countries where the baleno is sold) and plonked in the M16A .. Now that would have been a real killer .. If only wishes were horses ..
..[/quote]
Well old Baleno would have never been a safe car even with ABS/EBD/Airbags as it just doesnt have the build quality like Esteem. Its made of waffer thin material and that translates into a lighter car thats fast to drive, but also leaves the door open for a vulnerable body. The new SX4 has safety right from the chasis to the features. Thus the heavier weight and high safety ratings....



Its probably the most loaded car in this segment.
aseem is offline  
Old 7th May 2007, 21:48   #735
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You havent read my post clearly, hold your horses dude. I never said fuel efficiency "only" depends on tyre size, i said its one of the factors. I dont think a sedan of the size of SX4 with a 1.6 litre engine needs 205 section tyres. 195 was more than enough.
Buy the Vxi in that case... Or, I have a better idea, trade in the 205 tyres for 175, probably loads more FE and you get more money on the side...

I travel around the world and drool over the tyres the same manfacturers offer with their cars here than in India. However indian companies bring the same cars in India and for COST saving remove the airbags and downsize the tyres. Maruti should be applauded for not doing this. Its not that Sx4 is over specced, its just that cars like Civic are under specced when it comes to tyres.

Lastly 1.6 ltr engine to tyre is no comparo... You can have cars with 1.6 ltr engines with 225 width tyres as well. You dont generalize cars like that. This car has better build quality at least on paper than Corolla. The wieght says it all....
aseem is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice: Diesel Car around 20 lacs - 22 Lacs Nitrous Power Luxury, Imports & Niche 27 24th June 2013 11:00
Getz your CRDi @ Rs 5.09 lacs ex-showroom Delhi (EDIT @Rs 4.99 lacs ex-sh Chennai) sidindica The Indian Car Scene 206 17th October 2010 19:48
SX4 Petrol / SX4 Diesel (To be launched) / NHC VTEC+ / NNHC (To be launched) ? autoenthusiast Sedans 24 19th June 2008 18:24
EDIT: NOW LAUNCHED :Coming up next : Fusion 1.4 Diesel at 6.49 lacs ex-showroom Delhi navdeep The Indian Car Scene 224 10th October 2007 19:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks