Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th January 2007, 23:16   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Most over-rated in India: Swift/Old Zen
Both OK cars, though.
Most under-rated in India: Getz
Good solid car, at least as good as Swift, but not hyped enough.
Most over-rated cars in T-BHP: Palio/Baleno
No need to say anything here.
Most under-rated car in T-BHP: Santro.
Far too many Hyundai haters in T-BHP? Although I think with arrival of Verna, that may be changing.
Mind if i ask why you say baleno and palio are over-rated???

And how come Santro is under-rated??? Most here, say its better choice in the segment, dont they???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 01:25   #227
BHPian

underrated - Ambassador
If somebody is driving it and paying for the repairs and service and fuel, its damn comfortable I must say for some of our long journeys.

The weather should be good as I am highly suspicious if the car would move if the AC is switched on.
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 01:59   #228
rks
BANNED

Baleno/Palio are no doubt very good cars with a large number of supporters in T-BHP. Now there are better options available, so that is why I say that these cars are now over-rated.

Santro is popular with the general public, but apparently not so with the majority of T-BHPians (except for a few die-hard loyal Santro fans). The Santro is generally condemned here in T-BHP as an under-performing tall-boy while people go ga-ga over the old Zen, but the Santro's superior maneuverability and exceptional handling is generally overlooked; this car will take some beating under Indian traffic conditions, city or highway.

The old Zen can possibly out-perform my old Santro, but not easily; it will come down to driving skills. Just this Friday night, a Zen guy who went past me at 150+ kmph on the Expressway was eventually out-maneuvered in moderate Expressway traffic by my old Santro. I am convinced that the unmodified old Zen will be out-performed by the unmodified Santro Xing on Indian roads (city or highway) if both are driven flat out by equally skilled drivers. I suspect that the Zen fans here will not easily accept this assertion.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 08:30   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Baleno/Palio are no doubt very good cars with a large number of supporters in T-BHP. Now there are better options available, so that is why I say that these cars are now over-rated.
At 5.5L On road price... Which other better option is there for the baleno??? at the prices it is selling now, its a real steal...

Also... Is there any alternative to the palio 1.6??? (The other 1.2, i dont count as good cars for such hype)

I agree on the Santro part, except for the handling... I have driven both the cars... Santro Xing can match zen, except in the handling department... But, anyway, i dont think cars like Santro and wagonR are made for racing...

As for me, both the tall boy cars have more space and comfort than the smaller hatch-backs although compsomising a bit on handling... I am not going to take a slalom test with my car... So, am very happy with its handling for road use...

I agree that most Bhp'ians have a negative approach to tall boy desgins...
Old 21st January 2007, 10:41   #230
BHPian

IMO, the most overrated cars are Scorpio and Zen..
Underrated would definitely by Palio and Forester..
da MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 14:10   #231
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
At 5.5L On road price... Which other better option is there for the baleno??? at the prices it is selling now, its a real steal...
OK. I was basically thinking about the later-generation cars like Fiesta and Verna in the 1.6 lit class. I didn't consider the price when making my assessment.

Quote:
Also... Is there any alternative to the palio 1.6??? (The other 1.2, i dont count as good cars for such hype)
The Palio is a great performance car for genuine highways and Expressways. But it is heavy and does not have good FE and as per postings in T-BHP its interiors are not of the highest quality, and after-sales service is bad. For the city or some of our crowded and narrow highways, I imagine that a lighter car with sensitive steering response and FE would be desirable. I don't think that the Palio will meet these criteria, although I haven't driven it myself.

Quote:
I agree on the Santro part, except for the handling... I have driven both the cars... Santro Xing can match zen, except in the handling department...
The Santro is a tall-boy, but it has wider tyres than the stock old Zen. The Santro's handling in my opinion is sensitive to matters like wheel alignment/balancing and tyre pressures -- if you take care of these, its high-speed handling, including cornering, can be deceptively good. The Santro can cut lanes really well because of its low turning radius, stiff suspension and sensitive and responsive power steering. In cutting lanes and making tight overtakes at high speed, I would say that the Santro is slightly ahead of the old Zen, which has a higher turning radius (4.9 m versus 4.4 m for Santro), skinnier tyres and a softer suspension. Dont know about steering response of the old Zen, but it has to be damn good to match that of the Santro.

I think the Wagon-R Vxi has 155 mm width tyres, similar to Santro. I have neither driven the Wagon-R nor seen it really pushed on the highway; but I think it should be similar to Santro in handling.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 15:16   #232
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Most here, say its better choice in the segment, dont they???

No. See this..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-s-indica.html (WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica)

Last edited by DCEite : 21st January 2007 at 15:34.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 21:04   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Point noted... Thanks!!!

Quote:
I think the Wagon-R Vxi has 155 mm width tyres, similar to Santro. I have neither driven the Wagon-R nor seen it really pushed on the highway; but I think it should be similar to Santro in handling
IMO, they are almost similar...

Santro is a bit more peppier to drive... WagonR is a bit more softly sprung... Rest is almost same...
Old 21st January 2007, 23:40   #234
BHPian

The most over rated : Baleno- The time has gone. Nothing new to offer, just the add on climate control, What else- Need's a Face Lift, New Design would be better, Something to handle INVECS-VTEC,VGIS to place it in Higher Leauges...!

The most under rated : Indica V2 Xeta/ Turbo D

Last edited by wolfinstein : 21st January 2007 at 23:43.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:10   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Something to handle INVECS-VTEC,VGIS to place it in Higher Leauges...!
Why? It's cheaper, faster, and more efficient. Acronyms are not a substitute for good engineering.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 01:05   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why? It's cheaper, faster, and more efficient. Acronyms are not a substitute for good engineering.
Cheaper: Made to price.
Faster: Thanks to light weight than engine.
More Efficient: Thanks again to light weight of car.
It is SOHC 1.6L engine producing 91 bhp as compared to other 1.6L DOHC VTec /Duratec/VGIS producing 100+ bhp.
Good engineering? Yes. Has many good aspects including nice suspension/a.c/flat torque curve.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 01:17   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Cheaper: Made to price.
Faster: Thanks to light weight than engine.
More Efficient: Thanks again to light weight of car.
It is SOHC 1.6L engine producing 91 bhp as compared to other 1.6L DOHC VTec /Duratec/VGIS producing 100+ bhp.
Accent 1.6 is DOHC, weighs about the same, claims to produce 103 bhp or so, is slower, and less fuel-efficient too.

I don't know of any 1.6 DOHC Vtecs being sold in India.

OT: We see every car today claiming around, if not over, 100 bhp. Some are quicker than others. It would be interesting to get them up on a dyno and know the truth.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 02:34   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Accent 1.6 is DOHC, weighs about the same, claims to produce 103 bhp or so, is slower, and less fuel-efficient too.

I don't know of any 1.6 DOHC Vtecs being sold in India.

OT: We see every car today claiming around, if not over, 100 bhp. Some are quicker than others. It would be interesting to get them up on a dyno and know the truth.
Ironically, Accent is the only slower one among the 100+ bhp lot, which always attracted lot of criticism from critics of Hyundai.
Agreed about 1.6 VTec. It is 1.5L VTec (OHC) which produced 108 and 1.5L produced 100 bhp.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:06   #239
BHPian

Strongly believe that the most over-rated car swift, except in FE(that's how I brought one)
most under-rated car in Indica( That's how I ended up selling my 6 yr old car).

regards,
-manju
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 13:49   #240
BHPian

This thread seems worth attaching a poll to get a clear picture. Does any one else feel so ?
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote