Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th August 2008, 13:51   #391
BHPian

i have sat in the accord,camry and even our e class is not compared(comfort wise) to the skoda superb(we have one).really good quality for the price but doesnt look as flashy as it rivals.
indra_slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 15:12   #392
Senior - BHPian

One question:
When ppl here say that Honda City is overrated - does it mean that its popular, or do they really mean that it offers very little value for money comapred to competition.?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 16:17   #393
BHPian

@alpha1 When people say that the Honda City is overrated it for sure means its a piece of crap when compared to the competition.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 17:09   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
One question:
When ppl here say that Honda City is overrated - does it mean that its popular, or do they really mean that it offers very little value for money comapred to competition.?
Obviously it means not VFM compared to competition also the present City aint that powerful. SX4 does come with all bells and whistles but City has proven itself by selling more than SX4. But i guess Honda should nt take us for a ride.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 12:40   #395
evo
BHPian

I think the most under rated car is the Elantra CRDi. Brilliant engine(which can be taken even futher by Pete!) great space, loads of equipment that other cars in its segment dont even have as options (TCS, all disc brakes)...I agree it looks weird from the front.

The most over rated car is the Honda City, hardly any equipment, feels tinny,looks weird..though it has very very comfortable back seat

(Disclaimer: I have both the cars!)
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 14:25   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
honda cr-v over rated and Skoda superb(2007)under rated
IMO along with Cr-v the City is also overrated,though the drive is good but lacks power and has no features if you compare with the competition like SX4.
Superb is really underrated, the drive is absolutely SUPERB!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 20:17   #397
BHPian

Is there any rating scale or list based on which this discussion is based. Or is it a general feeling of the public/media. Even here the public perception and the media/test result reports etc. are quite different. For example, I see many mention of Mitsubishi Cedia as an underrated car. Agree that public awareness of this car is low. You mention about this car to a friend, some asked me if it is an SUV or car; some asked if it is Lancer and some have not even heard of it! But you look into the reviews of this car in any magazine or site even t-bhp, carwale, autocar, mouthshut etc. everywhere it is rated high!
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:16   #398
Senior - BHPian

i feel the sonata embera is the most under rated car. it had a better ride quality than the accord, a bit more spacious, all the neccessary safety features, fabulous engine and cabin comfort, a 6 speed manual in the diesel and looks too! god knows why it dint face success!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:17   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Is there any rating scale or list based on which this discussion is based. Or is it a general feeling of the public/media. Even here the public perception and the media/test result reports etc. are quite different. For example, I see many mention of Mitsubishi Cedia as an underrated car. Agree that public awareness of this car is low. You mention about this car to a friend, some asked me if it is an SUV or car; some asked if it is Lancer and some have not even heard of it! But you look into the reviews of this car in any magazine or site even t-bhp, carwale, autocar, mouthshut etc. everywhere it is rated high!
i think here under rated means the image of the car in general public and hence it's sales figures.
Old 24th August 2008, 10:07   #400
BHPian

The popularity of a car in relation to its potential seem to determine its ratings - a car that sells in large numbers, but isn't for some reason as good as its competitors is an over-rated one, while an unappreciated car that's very competent in relation to its rivals would be perceived as an under-rated car.

It's human nature to either go with the stream, or to pledge allegiance to an under-dog. Both behaviour is logical. Many people buy Wagon R (which isn't as good as the Santro) b'cos of their percieved comfort level with Maruti. While others don't want to be seen in a car that everybody else drives (this happens even in the US, where a friend of mine didn't want to get a BMW 3 Series in Boston, b'cos everybody else he knows seemed to have owned one!).

Thus, getting a generalised list of under-rated and over-rated cars, without being tainted by the sales figure is a delicate task. For that, we should attempt to draw a list based solely on how each car is being promoted by its manufacturer.

In this regard, the only manufacturers who generally take themselves more seriously than warranted are General Motors India (for almost all their models including the Opel lineup). and HM Mitsubhishi. Other manufacturers' pretentiousness is model specific: Hyundai (Sonata), Tata Motors (Safari), M&M (Scorpio).

This line of argument could lead us to open a new thread: What the percieved image of a car says about its owner's personality?

naveen
naveenmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:57   #401
BHPian

i am of the opinion that Skoda Laura is the most overrated car and Ford Fusion 1.6 is the underrated one.
reji22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 08:10   #402
BHPian

Default an interesting one!

well much has been said about the toyota altis. I do believe that in many ways that is as close as someone can get to buying a perfect car in terms of the balance it offers bw interiors, exteriors and performance.
Personally i feel that the verna diesel (not coz i own it, and despite a few random issues( come on which car doesnt have one?)) is one of the more under rated cars. It looks good, its got relatively pleasing interiors (ones that wont make you want to bang your head on the dashboard) and must i say anything about the engine?

over rated? well a few obvious choices. most of the marutis! SX4, and swift to name a few. the swift is over priced and the interiors look like they came from the backside of a cow. the SX4 comes with a whole lotta accessories, but the cars bulging interiors dont give any indication about the matchbox that it is inside.

the new accord is the most amazing car in terms of looks in the current scenario and is probably a better choice then the over rated toyota camry (and is lesser priced), while the civic too is a little over rated.

lookin forward to a few of the newer hatchbacks coming along (namely i20, jazz, splash). hopefully they'll live up to their names unlike their predecessors (santro, swift )
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 01:15   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i feel the sonata embera is the most under rated car. it had a better ride quality than the accord, a bit more spacious, all the neccessary safety features, fabulous engine and cabin comfort, a 6 speed manual in the diesel and looks too! god knows why it dint face success!
well im sure its good and all that as u say, but dude its a Hyundai, its Korean. a Japanese car is any day Way better than a Korean. u shouldnt be comparing Honda with Hyundai man, Honda is waay too superior to be compared with Hyundai.
suped99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2008, 09:56   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped99 View Post
well im sure its good and all that as u say, but dude its a Hyundai, its Korean. a Japanese car is any day Way better than a Korean. u shouldnt be comparing Honda with Hyundai man, Honda is waay too superior to be compared with Hyundai.
so what if its an hyundai buddy? we should not categorize cars because of its origin, thats not fair. maybe you mean that honda's tech is far better than hyundai's, maybe its true but i never meant to compare accord and embera. what i said was the embera has a far better ride quality as compared to the harsh ride in the accord, its only competitor price-wise. the accord has a more sporty suspension setup emphasised on handling. now tell me, who in india is going to speed their 18 lakh car through corners to test its handling? most of such customers are back seat people with chauffers doing the driving and for our indian road condition, whats more necessary than handling is a good ride quality. also, i feel it looked better than the previous generation accord. the new accord is a bit better beacuse of its impressive size but still the embera is a stunner anyday.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 9th November 2008 at 09:59.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:03   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reji22 View Post
i am of the opinion that Skoda Laura is the most overrated car and Ford Fusion 1.6 is the underrated one.
Ford as a company is under rated in India.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote