Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th September 2004, 01:55   #31
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Overrated.... Zen, Esteem, Scorpio, Getz (Lets wait 1 year and see)
Underrated ... Baleno, Palio 1.6

As for NHC... .. I don't think... its worth it... Baleno is anyday a better option.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2004, 14:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ Sep. 12 2004,00:25)]As for NHC... .. I don't think... its worth it... Baleno is anyday a better option.
U heard me
especially at 1.5 lak cheaper than the city ,its a steal
to me the NHC scores better only in FE ( 2 kmpl more) and better interiors, and a better tail-light, better tyres.
the aircon of Baleno can never be compared to that of City.
Power is something all know

I am just surprised that I have not yet seen a single team-bhpian owning a Baleno.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 11:42   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think the Baleno is going through a massive identity crisis. From being the most under-rated car in Y2000, it is becoming increasingly over-rated in Y2004. Sure sales have gone up from what they used to be, but with a price cut of 2 lac rupees....which wouldnt?

Except for the 90 odd horsepower engine, there really is nothing in the Baleno that can be termed as an advantage over the New Honda City. The Baleno is a terribly outdated design, that is almost a decade old now (launched int'l in 1995). Compared to the NHC, the seating is too low and the interiors are relatively cramped. The dashboard and interior fittings outright suck. The rear end of the car is also extremely ugly. Its not got outstanding ride quality either.

The NHC, as a package is lightyear ahead of the Baleno. Its is a 10 year newer design (read 10 more years of safety, comfort, chassis dynamics etc.) and is way superior to anything that Maruti can throw at it. Its much more refined, fuel efficient, comfortable and technologically advanced.

More so, the service you will receive from a Honda (product and after sales) will be way superior to that of the Baleno. And while some have also mentioned the price difference...the Baleno does NOT work out cheaper. Its a depreciation disaster!!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2004, 16:38   #34

Most under rated are the FIATs.
Most over rated are from the Tata and Mahindra stable
of course one can say Qualis is over rated - but i wont comment given little knowledge of that category/target audience
cheerz
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2004, 17:04   #35
BHPian

Lancer and and mercedes C and M class are unnecessarily overated (in fact most of the cars available out here are outdated versions (LEMONS as they call it in the US) and riciculously overpriced.I guess only Suzukis n Hondas dont fit the above!Say Wat?

comfortablywacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2004, 22:39   #36
BHPian

underrated-palio,superb
overrated-c class
kavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2004, 14:24   #37
BHPian

Underrated : opel / GM ( vectra , astra , corsa and forester )
Overrated : All Marutis and Tata vehicles
haryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2004, 04:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

The most overrated is a C-Class at a price tag of abt 30 lak.
ANd u still have to live with its electronic problems.
And maintainance is not a hole in the pocket ,it just removes the pocket from the pants.

IMO, its just a slightly better car than the accord, at a double price tag.
Please guys , when will MErc stop banking on its 3 pointed star emblem.
Why do they always expect us to pay a premium for it ?
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 00:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Corolla - most ignored and underrated

most underrated car - Toyota Corolla
I guess its the most ignored car on Team BHP.
Its a Toyota and they are known for reliability MORE than Honda.
BSM has rated the Corolla 1.8 E higher than the Skoda Octavia 2.0 Ambiente.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business Standard Motoring
No beating around the bush the Corolla 1.8 E (priced at Rs 10.74 lakh) wins over the Octavia 2.0 Ambiente (Rs 10.94 lakh). The Japanese car has a better engine, is well equipped, is marginally more fuel efficient and feels more contemporary. The Octavia has the better chassis/suspension combo, offers more driver involvement, and looks smarter than the Corolla, but all of this is still not enough to prevent the Japanese car from winning. Those inclined to lounge in the back seat rather than drive can opt for an automatic in the Corolla, though Toyota are not offering a diesel yet so the Octavia 1.9TDI is still on its own!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 01:42   #40
BHPian

Baleno has its own set of problems. The maruti quality is dropping by the hour. The Baleno electricals get totally fried in some cars where the water tends to get into the tail lights and head lights. Water also seeps in through the doors. Esteem Imprint on the steering wheel of the esteem just slides off. Maruti quality is going down like hell. I've seen such cars brand new in the showroom and they are a big disappointment.
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 10:06   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess its the most ignored car on Team BHP.
Its a Toyota and they are known for reliability MORE than Honda.
You bet. The Corolla is really fast but you wont find too many Team-BHPians lusting after it. Reason? Lack of character...toyotas are perceived as extremely boring around the world and India is no exception. Plus, for what the competition has to offer...the Corolla did start its Indian wickets with an overpriced tag.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 11:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lack of character...toyotas are perceived as extremely boring around the world and India is no exception
I agree. True the Corolla has been one of the best sellers worldwide and I guess Toyota was cashing in on that to sell the Corolla here. Many people imported the Corolla before it eventually started selling here. It was a popular choice after the Honda Accord.

But if you see the Corolla being sold here, its such a boring and uninspiring design. Add to that , the higher ground clearance adds to the bad looks . It really seems extremely raised. It has an awesome engine which is anyday superior to the Octy petrol and a better rear seat butttt the Octy has a diesel version and you can it at a price similar to the Corolla. Add to that the stunning FE of the Octi diesel, you can tend to overlook the few shortcomings that the Octy has.

Toyota ought to bring down the Corolla price IMO.

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2005, 20:59   #43
BHPian

Overrated:Tavera,Zen,Santro,indica V2,Sonata,Corolla,Camry.
Underrated:sure Baleno/Altura,Vectra,
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 11:11   #44
BHPian

Underrated: Baleno, Forestor, Vectra, Astra
Overrated: Santro, Corolla
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 11:43   #45
Team-BHP Support

corolla over rated ??
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote