Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 21:34   #511
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway. It's just my opinion. Yes I have to agree with you on that! The mHawk motor is an absolute stonker! Scorpio engines have always been superior, especially when compared to the Safari's DiCOR motor. And the looks, it depends, honestly. Some find it good looking, and some don't. I fall under the latter category. So I wouldn't buy a Scorpio only because it's engine is great.

My Civic is incapable of clearing most speed breakers. And the boot is on the smaller side. But it does everything else. And it does them pretty well.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 23:03   #512
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway. It's just my opinion.
No buddy! you dint offend me in any way. this is a public forum & everyone is entitled to his own opinions.

Quote:
Yes I have to agree with you on that! The mHawk motor is an absolute stonker! Scorpio engines have always been superior, especially when compared to the Safari's DiCOR motor.
this is exactly what i meant in my previous post. SUV lovers have only the scorpio & safari in that price range & mostly, those who buy the scorpio are smitten by its engine!

Quote:
And the looks, it depends, honestly. Some find it good looking, and some don't. I fall under the latter category. So I wouldn't buy a Scorpio only because it's engine is great.
of course. they say - beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote:
My Civic is incapable of clearing most speed breakers. And the boot is on the smaller side. But it does everything else. And it does them pretty well.
dont get me wrong, i absolutely love the civic, especially the AT because of the paddle shifts.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 17:16   #513
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Right on! The Civic is a great car. Just wish it wouldn't kiss every road hump on its way. And wish it had a bigger boot. A trip to Coorg over the weekend is all what it can manage with its 400 litre boot.

One question however, why is the Scorpio considered an SUV? I understand that the Safari comes with shift-on-the-fly, and the Scorpio doesn't, does it? It's more like an MUV right? Sorry if I'm going off topic here.. I'm just pretty darn
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:54   #514
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Most Overrated - ANHC.

The sad part is people are willing to shell out Rs. 10.1L for a car without fog lamps and Alloy wheels. The car is worth only Rs. 8.7L in my opinion without the "H" attached to it.

Most Under rated - Fiat Linea.

The gadgets inside the car is worth a lot. i agree with the engine not being very powerful but still not doing even half the business it deserves.
VJ1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:22   #515
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
One question however, why is the Scorpio considered an SUV? I understand that the Safari comes with shift-on-the-fly, and the Scorpio doesn't, does it? It's more like an MUV right? Sorry if I'm going off topic here.. I'm just pretty darn
if the scorpio is an MUV, what is a xylo or innova then?

scorpio does have shift-on-the-fly buddy!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:33   #516
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 29
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Most Overrated car in my view is ANHC, doesn't deserve the price tag it carries, but still selling around 3 to 4K per month.

Most Fiat products from Palio to Linea IMHO has been underrated product in India
TarCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:50   #517
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you have given the answer yourself buddy.every person who buys a scorpio knows that its a SUV & it will sway, unlike a sedan. but his needs from his vehicle are different from a sedan owner. now, can you stuff 8 guys in your sedan? will your sedan offer the high ground clearance & high seating position of the scorpio? NO.
I think you are mistaken there. Not all owners of Scorpio understand its limitations. Ofcourse, most people on TBHP will not come under this category, but then they are a minority among Scorpio owners.

And it would be childish to compare any sedan with any suv, so lets not go there.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:08   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think you are mistaken there. Not all owners of Scorpio understand its limitations. Ofcourse, most people on TBHP will not come under this category, but then they are a minority among Scorpio owners.
of course. and such people meet with fatal accidents! but my point was, the rolling & swaying of a scorpio is understandable as it is a SUV & hence cannot be compared with a sedan for its handling.

Quote:
And it would be childish to compare any sedan with any suv, so lets not go there.
and it would also be childish to compare a SUV with a sedan!
different cars have different attributes & some cars/SUVs sell more than others because maybe these cars ticks all the right boxes for their prospective customers!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th September 2009 at 16:13.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 16:32   #519
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
of course. and such people meet with fatal accidents! but my point was, the rolling & swaying of a scorpio is understandable as it is a SUV & hence cannot be compared with a sedan for its handling.

and it would also be childish to compare a SUV with a sedan!
different cars have different attributes & some cars/SUVs sell more than others because maybe these cars ticks all the right boxes for their prospective customers!

I dont think you have understood the intent of this thread, and my post. I am not saying that Scorpio is a bad vehicle. Neither am i saying that its a great SUV. What i am saying is that it is one of the most misunderstood vehicles on Indian roads. For example, you wont find as many Civics doing offroading or carrying 8 people as you would find Scorpios being thrown into corners like a sedan. You wont find as many Safaris throwing their weight around as you would find Scorpios. I am NOT comparing a scorpio with a civic or a scorpio with a safari. I am comparing the person behind the wheel here.

EDIT: Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-style.html (Why are most Scorpios driven in a rash style?)

The thread was closed before you became the proud owner of a Scorpio, btw. Hence, you probably did not participate in it.

Last edited by amitoj : 15th September 2009 at 16:38.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 18:20   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think you have understood the intent of this thread, and my post. I am not saying that Scorpio is a bad vehicle. Neither am i saying that its a great SUV. What i am saying is that it is one of the most misunderstood vehicles on Indian roads. For example, you wont find as many Civics doing offroading or carrying 8 people as you would find Scorpios being thrown into corners like a sedan. You wont find as many Safaris throwing their weight around as you would find Scorpios. I am NOT comparing a scorpio with a civic or a scorpio with a safari. I am comparing the person behind the wheel here.

EDIT: Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-style.html (Why are most Scorpios driven in a rash style?)

The thread was closed before you became the proud owner of a Scorpio, btw. Hence, you probably did not participate in it.
i have seen that thread. i am an owner of a scorpio since 2003! the mHawk was bought in 2008.

but i dont understand what that signifies in this thread? maybe you mean to say that many scorpio drivers over-estimate their car's potential & hence drive rash. is it?

well then, i have already stated in my above post that such drivers meet with disastrous situations. but that means the scorpio is over-ESTIMATED by some drivers (who are generally the over-CONFIDENT ones!) & not over-RATED. an over-rated car, according to me, means a car which is not good enough compared to competition but still achieves huge sales numbers.

anyways, before the MODS need to intervene, lets end this debate for good!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 15th September 2009 at 18:23.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 20:18   #521
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think you are mistaken there. Not all owners of Scorpio understand its limitations. Ofcourse, most people on TBHP will not come under this category, but then they are a minority among Scorpio owners.

And it would be childish to compare any sedan with any suv, so lets not go there.

You do realize that Mahindra themselves compare, both, the Scorpio and the Xylo to sedans right? I know they're referring to the VFM and features available. But it still isn't right!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 23:52   #522
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Over Rated will be all the cars that you cannot beat and Under Rated will be all the cars that your neighbours own.

I have only one thing to say and that is mostly the cars advertised the most are Over Rated and Under Rated cars are ones that are pretty rare.

Last edited by supercars : 15th September 2009 at 23:53. Reason: Stupid Spelling Error
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 00:31   #523
BHPian
 
venkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 25
Thanked: Once
Smile

Underrated or Overrated - Hey guys tell me one thing - In the past few years Cars that were named "Car of The Year" What happened ? Most did not even sell decent numbers nor did they justify the spend on their advirtisement correct me if mistaken
venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:20   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i have seen that thread. i am an owner of a scorpio since 2003! the mHawk was bought in 2008.

but i dont understand what that signifies in this thread? maybe you mean to say that many scorpio drivers over-estimate their car's potential & hence drive rash. is it?

well then, i have already stated in my above post that such drivers meet with disastrous situations. but that means the scorpio is over-ESTIMATED by some drivers (who are generally the over-CONFIDENT ones!) & not over-RATED. an over-rated car, according to me, means a car which is not good enough compared to competition but still achieves huge sales numbers.

anyways, before the MODS need to intervene, lets end this debate for good!
Why would Mods want to intervene? I think we both are within the boundaries of a decent debate.

The way i see it is that many people who buy an SUV in general, overrate its handling and its power. You call it overestimate. i call it overrate. and since Scorpio sells more than Safari, its more evident than for the rest. There were some posts in that thread that shed some light on who many of the scorp owners are (ofcourse, doesnt include people on tbhp).

If i go by your definition of overrated, then i would still say Scorpio is overrated. To me, its definitely not worth the money. Just having a good engine does not make it a good car, atleast for me. And looks are subjective. The huge panel gaps on the front below the headlights in mHawk are a complete eye sore for me. Others may find it appealing. I dont. So, for me, Scorpio IS overrated. If you dont agree with it, perfectly fine with me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You do realize that Mahindra themselves compare, both, the Scorpio and the Xylo to sedans right? I know they're referring to the VFM and features available. But it still isn't right!
Yeah i have seen those ads. LOL. If i want to travel in a horizontal position, i'll take the train. hehe. Thank you very much.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:27   #525
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ1980 View Post
Most Overrated - ANHC.
The sad part is people are willing to shell out Rs. 10.1L for a car without fog lamps and Alloy wheels. The car is worth only Rs. 8.7L in my opinion without the "H" attached to it.
May be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ1980 View Post
Most Under rated - Fiat Linea.
The gadgets inside the car is worth a lot. i agree with the engine not being very powerful but still not doing even half the business it deserves.
Is it the most under-rated? I guess Linea has started getting the attention it deserved from the Indian car buyers. As a matter of fact, I can see more Lineas than ANHCs in our office parking premises - may be I am wrong because Linea is an attention catcher than ANHC, so I tend to notice it more.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Under-rated, hated, and forgotten-the story of the Fiat Palio sidindica The Indian Car Scene 163 6th April 2014 20:23
Is India a dumping ground for outdated / poorly rated cars? vishnugnair The Indian Car Scene 91 27th January 2012 08:23
Palio Diesel rated the 2nd Best Diesel Car in India in a ET Survey! finneyp The Indian Car Scene 15 10th October 2006 16:08
Are Fiat Cars over-rated? typeOnegative The Indian Car Scene 133 24th March 2005 15:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks