Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th January 2010, 00:18   #556

i feel that most of the Japanese and Korean cars are over rated.. Hondas, Hyundais, Maruti Suzukis etc.

the underrated ones are Fiats, Opels, Chevys..
whacky_rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 14:25   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacky_rohan View Post
i feel that most of the Japanese and Korean cars are over rated.. Hondas, Hyundais, Maruti Suzukis etc.

the underrated ones are Fiats, Opels, Chevys..
You cannot put all the Japanese and Korean car makers in the overrated category. May be few of their models, not all of them. Would you say Maruti 800 as the overrated car when that was the most affordable car in its time? Also it was Alto and Santro which put the small car segments on fire. An average indian could think of owning a car ultimately. Where were fiats, opels and chevys at that time?
Atul-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 16:19   #558

im not pulling all the makers in.. i am simply implying that most of the cars by the said companies are overrated, not all of them..

fiats were there in the segment when the Santro and Alto thing took off.. but the only reason for them not being sold as much was because they were underrated.. and hence my post..
whacky_rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 16:24   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atul-C View Post
You cannot put all the Japanese and Korean car makers in the overrated category. May be few of their models, not all of them. Would you say Maruti 800 as the overrated car when that was the most affordable car in its time? Also it was Alto and Santro which put the small car segments on fire. An average indian could think of owning a car ultimately. Where were fiats, opels and chevys at that time?

Spot on! Yeah some of the jap cars are over-rated and as far as I know I guess none of the Koreans from hyundais are over-rated.
And as far as chevys are concerned all most all of them are either old Daewoo knock offs or are developed by GM-DAT which makes them korean anyways.

So, IMHO such broad classification like "all japs and koreans" are over-rated is a bit of over-stetement.

Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 14:52   #560
BHPian

My thoughts
Most underrated would be Baleno (2nd hand one in chennai costs around 2.5lakhs but servicing will entail a waiting period of one to two weeks which was confirmed by maruti showroom people as the parts are not easily available.)
Most overrated would be Fiat linea ( Yes looks are a killer but the engine is not powerful enough. If it would have come with a 1.9 diesel engine it would have been a killer.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 19:33   #561
BHPian

Default What Criteria

This is such a huge thread with myriad posts but without explained logic to support them. What are the criteria being used to determine the ratings? Or is it that economically viable cars which sell are being bashed and also those which are expensive and yet sell like hot cakes? And are cars underrated simply because they didn't sell? It seems to me the opinion of those who are posting here. Why are most people not giving reasons for their opinions?
My 2 cents on the subject:
Maruti and Hyundai sell more because they provide assurance of service and have huge networks. Even a two wheeler owner (!) can walk into a Maruti showroom confidently with a promise of 2-2.5 Lakh car in his mind. And of course, Maruti has been there from the start, it's been a part of us. Remember the so called 'dabba' on the roads that made history? The M-800 was followed by the M1000 and the Esteem and the Zen in 90's. Where were the other automakers then, making billions abroad I'm sure. Esteem, at the time of its launch, was a moster at 65 BHP and further so with the MPFI 85 BHP, other options in the range being imported cars. It was largre (that time) and it came at an affordable price to the new emerging middle class who trusted it more than the Fiats and the Hondas an Toyotas. Then, do poeple recall the waiting periods on the Fiats and Ambis back then? Maruti took them on and WON. That's why they are still No. 1 in India. I take the liberty to digress a little further. Please remember that when Maruti was being formed under the hunter wielded by Indira Gandhi after Sanjay's death, not many big automakers showed great interest in collaborating apart from Suzuki. (I read that in the preliminary meets with major automakers, after the first meet, major autos of Europe/America would send their executives and not CEOs but Suzuki personally attended every meeting, Suzuki Co being very small at the time, and that gave lot of reassurance as to Suzuki's intent and sincerity and the rest is history). Now that the Indian consumer has awaken, they all want to take a piece of the pie.
Coming back to cars. The Zen came when the M-800 was old and boring, Zen was the protagonist of the new era of style when new so had to sell. And it WAS a good car so people bought it. The Zen and Esteem may seem feeble now in the wake of all the other cars of late but they had their (if I may say) rightful share of the spotlight. If I were to say anything detrimental, I'll say that they were continued by Maruti way beyond being outdated (but still selling). And those who own these cars know that they are good.
The request is, people, please give reasons to support your opinion to make it more meaningful. The Indian buyer does not only buy a car, s/he buys and upgrade in life (the bought product to be employed much longer than in developed countries). So prime considerations are price and economy of ownership. Good car, bad car simply based on machine's merits is moot. Agreed that the Palio is a very good car but is carried poorly by Fiat so has to be sold less. Mondeo underrated? People say that Mondeos sit in garages for want of spares, should this car not be underrated? I think it just rated right. Honda City, overrated? I too think it's grossly overpriced, but isn't it reliable? DZire, it offers equipment not even in the Honda City at a bargain, so why should not get picket off the shelf like hot cakes?
Final opinion: I really don't think cars are over or underrated in this country. If a car has what it takes to appeal customers, it will sell. We are not a consumer pampering country (yet), car ownership is still a privilege. (In America, women voted Henry Ford to presidency 'cos he was good looking but let's not discuss politics eh?). IMO, it is a brand which is overrated or underrated and thus its products also get judged on the same knife edge of brand value. Hence,
UNDERRATED:
Maruti:in mag reviews, on this site, in this very thread despite creating the Indian auto scene adn making VFM products (yes the products did and do have defects but still...).
Hyundai: despite making good cars like Accent, Santro... particular case in point is Sonata, a good car failed due to lowly brand image.
Tata: despite being the face changing force in the diesel car scene with Indica/go, looked down upon as truck maker (and boy, did they bounce back with the Nano, BRAVO Mr. Ratan Tata).
OVERRATED:
Honda: despite selling overpriced (but good cars, nevertheless) cars (the Civic sells for less than what it does in India and I think the ANHC could have been priced a max 8.5-9 Lakh) so I think Honda purposely keeps its cars less VFM to maintain snob value and despite not so great sales/support.
Skoda/Fiat: despite having a pathetic sales/support, it's a surprise they even survive in India, has to be due to the good cars and good cars only.
Well, I could write more but it's a huge post already so there...
Delta Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:50   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
This is such a huge thread with myriad posts but without explained logic to support them. What are the criteria being used to determine the ratings? Or is it that economically viable cars which sell are being bashed and also those which are expensive and yet sell like hot cakes? And are cars underrated simply because they didn't sell? It seems to me the opinion of those who are posting here. Why are most people not giving reasons for their opinions?
My 2 cents on the subject:
Maruti and Hyundai sell more because they provide assurance of service and have huge networks. Even a two wheeler owner (!) can walk into a Maruti showroom confidently with a promise of 2-2.5 Lakh car in his mind. And of course, Maruti has been there from the start, it's been a part of us. Remember the so called 'dabba' on the roads that made history? The M-800 was followed by the M1000 and the Esteem and the Zen in 90's. Where were the other automakers then, making billions abroad I'm sure. Esteem, at the time of its launch, was a moster at 65 BHP and further so with the MPFI 85 BHP, other options in the range being imported cars. It was largre (that time) and it came at an affordable price to the new emerging middle class who trusted it more than the Fiats and the Hondas an Toyotas. Then, do poeple recall the waiting periods on the Fiats and Ambis back then? Maruti took them on and WON. That's why they are still No. 1 in India. I take the liberty to digress a little further. Please remember that when Maruti was being formed under the hunter wielded by Indira Gandhi after Sanjay's death, not many big automakers showed great interest in collaborating apart from Suzuki. (I read that in the preliminary meets with major automakers, after the first meet, major autos of Europe/America would send their executives and not CEOs but Suzuki personally attended every meeting, Suzuki Co being very small at the time, and that gave lot of reassurance as to Suzuki's intent and sincerity and the rest is history). Now that the Indian consumer has awaken, they all want to take a piece of the pie.
Coming back to cars. The Zen came when the M-800 was old and boring, Zen was the protagonist of the new era of style when new so had to sell. And it WAS a good car so people bought it. The Zen and Esteem may seem feeble now in the wake of all the other cars of late but they had their (if I may say) rightful share of the spotlight. If I were to say anything detrimental, I'll say that they were continued by Maruti way beyond being outdated (but still selling). And those who own these cars know that they are good.
The request is, people, please give reasons to support your opinion to make it more meaningful. The Indian buyer does not only buy a car, s/he buys and upgrade in life (the bought product to be employed much longer than in developed countries). So prime considerations are price and economy of ownership. Good car, bad car simply based on machine's merits is moot. Agreed that the Palio is a very good car but is carried poorly by Fiat so has to be sold less. Mondeo underrated? People say that Mondeos sit in garages for want of spares, should this car not be underrated? I think it just rated right. Honda City, overrated? I too think it's grossly overpriced, but isn't it reliable? DZire, it offers equipment not even in the Honda City at a bargain, so why should not get picket off the shelf like hot cakes?
Final opinion: I really don't think cars are over or underrated in this country. If a car has what it takes to appeal customers, it will sell. We are not a consumer pampering country (yet), car ownership is still a privilege. (In America, women voted Henry Ford to presidency 'cos he was good looking but let's not discuss politics eh?). IMO, it is a brand which is overrated or underrated and thus its products also get judged on the same knife edge of brand value. Hence,
UNDERRATED:
Maruti:in mag reviews, on this site, in this very thread despite creating the Indian auto scene adn making VFM products (yes the products did and do have defects but still...).
Hyundai: despite making good cars like Accent, Santro... particular case in point is Sonata, a good car failed due to lowly brand image.
Tata: despite being the face changing force in the diesel car scene with Indica/go, looked down upon as truck maker (and boy, did they bounce back with the Nano, BRAVO Mr. Ratan Tata).
OVERRATED:
Honda: despite selling overpriced (but good cars, nevertheless) cars (the Civic sells for less than what it does in India and I think the ANHC could have been priced a max 8.5-9 Lakh) so I think Honda purposely keeps its cars less VFM to maintain snob value and despite not so great sales/support.
Skoda/Fiat: despite having a pathetic sales/support, it's a surprise they even survive in India, has to be due to the good cars and good cars only.
+100 to you. That's what was needed for this thread. It was slowly becoming a place where anyone would come and rate a car/carmaker overrated or under-rated without giving any logical reason. I think this post of your would give this thread some direction now.
Atul-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 08:54   #563
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts on the most overrated and underrated cars are :
UNDERRATED : The opel corsa totally, Sucj a lovely car to drive handles well and got loads of performance (1.6)

The Mondeo ,terrific perfoamnce and looks good. Still trying to figure out why it didnt take off.

OVERRATED : The most overrated car in the Indian market would be the Scorpio.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 10:28   #564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Honda City, overrated? I too think it's grossly overpriced, but isn't it reliable? DZire, it offers equipment not even in the Honda City at a bargain, so why should not get picket off the shelf like hot cakes?
UNDERRATED:
OVERRATED:
Well.. You've made quite a lot of sense there. Now lots of people say that Honda is extremely overrated. Now I'd like to know why one would say that? Just because they're over priced?

A car can be termed overrated if it gets the kind of accolades and awards that it doesn't actually deserve. A car can be termed overrated if it actually isn't very good/just about alright (in terms of handling/performance/FE/comfort etc.) and is considered very good!

A car that doesn't deserve the hype and praise is an 'overrated' car. A car that pretends to live up to its hype and sales figures is overrated.

Now suppose there is this car that isn't a very good car but is still considered to be fantastic, that's what you'd call 'overrated'.

But I don't seem to understand how one can say Hondas are overrated? They are all excellent cars. They're designed well, they've got brilliant, world-renowned engines, great comfort, good FE, good build quality, great after-sales and service back-up, good resale value, etc. The only draw backs about Hondas are they're slightly over priced and don't come with some features you'd expect them to have. But that doesn't take away the fact that they're great cars! And just because they're over priced, one cannot pass them off as overrated!

EDIT: The most overrated car in India would be the Scorpio, hands down! No offense meant to anyone out there. But I don't know why it gets so much praise? It isn't the best looking car. But it isn't bad either. It has the worst ride-quality any car could have (Considering that you pay upward of 9 lakhs for it), it handles like a boat with a rudder and it isn't very inspiring to drive. It has so many 'name-sake' features that don't work that well (cruise-control and that hybrid thingie). The only thing worth talking about is its superb Mhawk motor!

Even the Dzire is quite overrated. It's perfect for many, I know. But it isn't that good that it deserves to be given so many accolades.

The most underrated cars would be the Fiat twins, the Chevrolet Forester, the Ford Mondeo, the Ford Fusion, the Opel Vectra. All because they deserved better service back-up. They were all-round packages that were way ahead of their times!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th January 2010 at 10:41.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 17:28   #565
BHPian

This is a really interesting topic. But why do so many folks think Zen is an over rated car. I personally feel it is one of the finest car ever made. I own one and it is a pleasure to drive. Best city performer and a decent highway runner too. Agreed the new Estilo looks retarded, but the older Zens are stunners and peppy! Oh well each one has different opinions! In my opinion, the most Under rated car ever in India has to be the Ford Mondeo. This was a highly advanced car and the Ghia engines were rev happy. It was also the World Car of the year in the late 90's/ early 2000's. Sadly it never sold well here.
As for the most over rated car, hmm i will have to say Mitsubishi Lancer. Even though these cars are popular in the rally scene, in India i feel they are de-tuned and dont have a great deal of power. Yet people bought these cars. It gave them an impression of going really fast whilst not! And the diesel engines were even slower than a snail!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 01:18   #566
BHPian

Swift and Ritz grossly overrated.

Spark, Optra and Aveo highly under rated.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 01:31   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post

Spark, Optra and Aveo highly under rated.

Coming from a fellow bhpian, this is quite naive.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:44   #568
BHPian

Underrated:nissan x- trail, its compact, Comforty for old people, easy to get in or out. good space for 5 adults.
Overrated: any Korean cars, they are here because of the price & low priced spare parts.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 02:27   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
spot on! i don't really have much knowledge on the ritz, but i own a swift VXI, and as far as city driving goes, i find the swift to be superb in terms of maneuverability, FE, handling, looks, spare parts, service network, pick up etc. but when it comes to the sheer joy of driving, the confidence a car can imbibe in you, that feeling of a car being an extension of your own form, the safety and maturity factor, the joy etc. i find it to be a dabba, which makes me all insecure, nervous and paranoid at high speeds, irritated, when i hear frequent irritating noises, noises like a rattle snake makes when threatened and when i see all that bland depressing plastic around me i know that this is far from quality. now, don't get me wrong, i bought it and have kept it knowing and keeping all of this in mind, and nothing came as surprise later on.

To be honest, its a good, easy to maintain, friendly-to-your-pocket, nice looking car, but its not a great car, which judging by it sales, seems to be the general opinion towards it. great cars feel different, and i can say this having driven a Fiat Uno diesel for 8 years (one hell of a car which use to be at the same price range as the swift). no point mentioning other cars I've owned/rented/driven which don't belong to the same segment.

just my own opinion based on experience, no offenses to swift owners or anything.

Last edited by Sli_ce : 24th May 2010 at 02:36.
Sli_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:49   #570
BHPian

My list

overrated
- Octavia
- ford fusion
- lancer

underrated
- baleno
- palio 1.6
- Optra