Over-rated
Swift.

Under-rated
Manza.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:16   #572
BHPian

my take:

Under Rated: Definately palio GTX: such an amzing car with all the luxuries that you would need in a premium hatchback. Defogger, rear wipers, comfortable seats, etc. Moreover, one of the first small cars to figure out the imprtance of safety (ABS) as well as provide an amazing drive to the users.
All the reasons that you would have guys dying to buy a palio even now.

Over Rated: Punto. Dont kill me guys! i think its a lovely car as well but just doesnt deserve the accolades and fan following that it has. There are other vehicles which give u better handling (polo), more space (many including vista), speed (many again), comfort (Vista) or VFM (figo, Vista). I do not understand the pricing for the Punto.
I do not wish to point out to others that its not a nice car. Its a lovely car but over hyped and over rated in my opinion. I have driven the car briefly in city bumper to bumper traffic.

this is my opinion only!
mail.jaiswal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:57   #573
Senior - BHPian

Over-rated : Swift Dzire

Under-rated : Chevy Cruze
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 02:18   #574
Team-BHP Support

Overrated: Toyota Corolla Altis
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 08:51   #575
Senior - BHPian

@anshuman - Corolla Altis isnt overrated for sure. Toyota reliability, responsive and fuel efficient petrol, nice interiors, nice ride and neutral handling, cheaper than the immediate competition Civic and has more equipment, looks rather nice too. Why do you think it is?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:12   #576
Team-BHP Support

^^ I had a lot of expectations from this car, i called up Toyota some 6 months back for a TD. This car may be good for a 50 year old looking for no nonsense car but I did not like the car at all, its very dull to drive, bouncy at speed, steering lifeless and the interiors do not feel luxurious. The Engine though responsive at low end and has decent midrange but does not likes to be revved. This car rolls much more than any other car in the segment.

Altis may be priced cheaper than the Civic but i feel its not worth they are asking for it.

Every Toyota car reliable or not has the public sympathy of being reliable, tell me any other car in the segment which scores less in reliability.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th June 2010 at 17:13.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 14:04   #577
BHPian

I think the most over rated car in recent times has been the Maruti Swift. I mean it is a decent vehicle but nothing that great. The way it crashes into potholes and its suspension setup is bone jarring.. Rear seat comfort is also below average
Under-rated cars are quite a few..
Peugeot 309 GLD... fantastic engine and good car...

Fiat Palio.. let down by horrible after sales service.. n some quality issues..

Chevrolet forester - i think lack of a diesel engine was its only drawback.

Opel Vectra - fantastic all rounder... a bit expensive for times when it was launched. Also Opel's thirst for fuel was well known by then
Turbocharged-KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 23:59   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
I think the most over rated car in recent times has been the Maruti Swift. I mean it is a decent vehicle but nothing that great. The way it crashes into potholes and its suspension setup is bone jarring.. Rear seat comfort is also below average
IMO its not over-rated. It deserves the hype. Also, no car is perfect, atleast not the regular cars.

Quote:
Under-rated cars are quite a few..
Peugeot 309 GLD... fantastic engine and good car...
True. It had good ride quality as well.

Quote:
Fiat Palio.. let down by horrible after sales service.. n some quality issues..
No doubt about it.
Quote:
Chevrolet forester - i think lack of a diesel engine was its only drawback.
Also, it didn't really look very SUVish. More of a estate. Although I love its pillar-less doors. Also, Chevy was a new player then which wasn't of any help to the car.

Quote:
Opel Vectra - fantastic all rounder... a bit expensive for times when it was launched. Also Opel's thirst for fuel was well known by then
It was well ahead of its time when it was launched. This one steals the crown for most underrated car ever. In my books at least.

Regards

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 12th June 2010 at 00:00.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 00:01   #579
BANNED

Overrated and Dated - Swift and Dzire

Underrated and Fresh - Manza and Chevy Cruze
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 03:04   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Overrated and Dated - Swift and Dzire

Underrated and Fresh - Manza and Chevy Cruze

Being dated has nothing to do with being over-rated. Also, the swift may be 5 years old but it doesnt lag behind most of the others when it comes to dynamics, safety or technology. How is dated then?

Nothing fresh about the Manza. Its not a new design, although its a vast improvement over the Vista. Its not under-rated either. Its doing good numbers.

Yeah, cruze is a fresh design and a good vehicle. But it isn't really under-rated. It did not shook up the market like the Civic did but its doing good numbers for a car in its segment.

Regards
Old 12th June 2010, 08:49   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post

To be honest, its a good, easy to maintain, friendly-to-your-pocket, nice looking car, but its not a great car, which judging by it sales, seems to be the general opinion towards it.
Maybe for a lot of people the definition of a great car is - "good, easy to maintain, friendly on your pocket & nice looking".
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 11:33   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Maybe for a lot of people the definition of a great car is - "good, easy to maintain, friendly on your pocket & nice looking".
True. Also the 1.2 K series is a gem of an engine and though its not the best handling car in its segment anymore but it still is very good.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:22   #583
BHPian

In my opinion, the Hyundai Santro and the Wagon R are India's most over-rated cars. They have been spectacularly successful despite being mediocre in most respects.
The Peugeot 309 and the Fiat Uno are two competent, yet grossly underrated cars. They were way ahead of their time, yet failed to appeal to the conservative Indian buyer.
Nissan1180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 13:12   #584
Senior - BHPian

Over-rated: Mahindra Scorpio.
Over-raters: Those who are averse to the international SUV scene.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 20th June 2010 at 13:14.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 13:52   #585
Senior - BHPian

Overrated:
  • Honda City(ANHC)-definitely overpriced
  • Honda Jazz - again overpriced
Underrated:
  • Xylo(super VFM)
  • Aveo(again VFM)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote