Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th December 2010, 16:44   #601
BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

IMO, Mondeo is underrated because of the expensive maintenance. Cedia gets all the respect it deserves from most of them, but the only let down is its A$$.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Overrated:
Fortuner
ANHC
Jazz

Underrated:
Baleno
Mondeo
Cedia
2500cc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:17   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Think about it, and give a reason why you think that particular car is overrated?

Conversely, what car do you feel is really underrated in India. Again, the reasons behind your thinking!

Rtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Your post seems more like a mini comparo between swift and the vista ( is it a mere co-incidence that you happen to have a vista?) rather than just being something related to the thread topic.

We all know that swift's oil burner is better tuned unit than on vista, also there are many more areas where vista lags. Anyways its better to keep comparos (and biasness) out of this relatively simpler thread.

PS-In case you missed the point of this thread let me clear it that you just have to name over-rated and under-rated cars here rather than declaring reasons why you chose vista over the segment best-seller.

Regards.
Looks like its you who missed the point of this thread. Read Rtech's very first post where he has clearly asked for reason why you think that particular car is overrated/underrated.

I don't think there is anything wrong in sushantr5 post!

Peace.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 21:06   #603
BHPian

Interesting one this! My vote for the most underrated car would probably go to the Baleno and Skoda Octavia Combi.

For the most overrated, has go to be the Hyundai Accent
Please forgive me all Accent owners/lovers nothing personal, its just that that car does nothing for me. But i am sure it has some plus points??
autobahner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 22:29   #604
BHPian

Overrated
ANHC
Jazz
CRV
New 3 series
C class
Fortuner

Underrated
Optra
Cedia
Baleno
Skoda Octavia Combi vRs
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 21:27   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
Most overrated:
Maruti Swift
Agree 100%. We have the 1.3 ZXi version and I wonder why it is such a rage here selling tens of thousands every month. Looks are so-so, not much fun to drive at low-speeds/traffic, pathetic boot space etc etc. The only redeeming factors to me are the handling and the safety-features (ABS, airbags). The latter being the reason we bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
Most Overrated:
Estilo = Don't know why people buy one!
The Estilo must be one of the most under-rated cars here, selling about 3K a month. I for one, love that car & we almost bought one - if MSIL had not launced the A*-AT, it would have been home. I think the looks is what did the car in. Imagine the same car with just the body of a Spark (minus the Spark's hideous rear-lights) - sales would easily double/triple.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:51   #606
BHPian

Most overrated car here is Maruti Swift ,Figo (these cars are great ) and ambassador(in Kerala) and most underrated cars are Palio ,Baleno ,SX4 ,Logan(mainly because of its styling) etc .Palio and SX4 are great cars but I can't see many .I dont know why.Did I forgot Estilo?
SHK
shk 8896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 18:57   #607
Senior - BHPian

Most over rated car - Laura L&K, Camry, Civic, Scorpio
Most under rated - Fiat Palio, Ford Fiesta,I20
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:11   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Most over rated car - Laura L&K, Camry, Civic, Scorpio
Most under rated - Fiat Palio, Ford Fiesta,I20

I guess neither the camry is over-rated nor the i20 is under-rated. And I guess you meant to say that only Fiesta Petrol is under-rated did not you? Correct me if am wrong.

My list: (only the cars that are on sale now...so that eliminates balenos, vectra and the likes) :

Over-rated-
Civic, Scorpio, Safari, ANHC, Fortuner, Pajero

Under-rated-
Cedia (at that price its one heck of a car) , Outlander, Fiesta 1.6, Jazz, SX4.

OFF TOPIC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Looks like its you who missed the point of this thread. Read Rtech's very first post where he has clearly asked for reason why you think that particular car is overrated/underrated.

I don't think there is anything wrong in sushantr5 post!

Peace.

Lord!!! You dug out an year old post of mine to reply back!!! Amazing..and just for the efforts put in by you, I won't argue on this topic now. Fine, my bad. Apologies.
But seriously, it has been about more than two years since I have been here on this thread and this is a first for me..!!

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 4th January 2011 at 19:16.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 17:29   #609
BHPian

Over Rated :
Toyota Fortuner (MUV with 4x4 , and innova interiors)
Swift (Not exactly overrated , but too much popular )
ANHC (No climate control at this price point ! Poof !)
Dzire (Plain Ugly , But got hold of Badi Car-Bada Aadmi Mentality)

Under Rated :
Fiat Palio
Chevy Aveo (VFM , Been driving one since 2007)
Chevy Captiva
Ford Mondeo (Wrong timing , Great Car !)
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 14:20   #610
BHPian

Overrated :
Polo
Hyundai I20

Underrated
Punto
Vista
snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 17:02   #611
BHPian

The Most Overrated Cars:

1) Tata Safari - - Yes I understand its not expensive and has 4 WD options and all that useless kit they have put on it recently, but unfortunately it still feels like a truck. And Looks like a box on wheels!

2) Hyundai i20 - - Great amount of kit but i think i can get to places quicker on a bicycle. The car could have been priced better. And I definitely hear people talk well of it. Loved the kit. No Juice.

3) The Grande Punto - Again. Great kit, No Juice. Took it for TD as a formality before putting my money into it. Thank god I did. Nice Ride, Comfy as hell, Great looks, but they need to take the Palio 1.6 engine and put it into this.

The Most Underrated:

1) Palio 1.6 - Agree with everyone says. That is the hot hatch that made fun accessible to the non millionaires. What fun.

2) The Laura 1.8 MPI - At that price, its a no brainer. That engine with MT is just brilliant to drive. Poised, refined and one helluva scorcher

3)SX4 - That car should sell more than it is selling. Value for Money and not too sluggish when being pushed! Plus that much touted Maruti service Network / Cheap Spares and all the nice Maruti catchphrases

I would put the 1.6 Fabia in here too but then you would say thats just biased.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th January 2011 at 17:34. Reason: See note in the post.
shivir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:07   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivir View Post
The Most Overrated Cars:
Tata Safari - - Yes I understand its not expensive and has 4 WD options and all that useless kit they have put on it recently, but unfortunately it still feels like a truck. And Looks like a box on wheels!
The Most Underrated:
SX4 - That car should sell more than it is selling. Value for Money and not too sluggish when being pushed! Plus that much touted Maruti service Network / Cheap Spares and all the nice Maruti catchphrases
100% agree with you. Safari is very much overrated and many owners will vouch for it. On the other hand, SX4 owner's only grouse will be the mileage, the primary criteria for most buyers.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:11   #613
BHPian

Over-rated
ANHC
Fortuner

Under-rated
Ritz
Cedia
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:16   #614
BHPian

Hi
Ritz and Aveo are surely underated (may be Ritz due to design and Aveo time of launch)

Fortuner overated especially since Innova and Qualis have created the expectations, the price is a bit hefty to apy for the Fortuner)

rgds
DP
Dieseldunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:56   #615
BHPian

Most over rated cars

1. Toyota Fortuner
2. Toyota Qualis
3. Toyota Innova

Reasons for the above 3:

These 3 cars were good and reliable, but not extraordinary. What the fortuner does in 22l, the safari does it in half the cost. So whats the big deal? In some areas the safari is even better, for ex comfort.
The Fortuner got the better service because it shares its framework with the innova so the spares are cheap. The qualis was basically a match box on four wheels, dont know how it even managed to sold in acceptable numbers.

4. Chevy Tavera
5. Maruti Grand Vitara

For the above 2 cars, give me one reason why one should buy these cars over any other car in its class. The Maruti was a piece of crap, and the tavera more so.
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote