Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd February 2011, 23:54   #616
BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Most Underrated Cars:

Chevrolet Aveo U-VA - A great city car with loads of space, great ride, stable handling and decent economy for its size. Passed over because of tame looks and lack of oomph and diesel option.

How to make it hot - Bring in the uprated front end from the European model, and give it the S-TEC-II from the Beat and the upcoming diesel mill.

Indica Vista TDi/Safire90 - Once considered to be one of the most refined diesel mills, the 475TCIC engine has only got better with age. Still dirt-cheap to maintain, and is quite efficient. Has decent power on highway and is easy to drive provided you keep it in the right gear. The 1.4 Safire engine has loads of poke, and has possibly the best ride quality and comfort in its class. I think that all Tata cars are underrated to an extent due to a lack of snob value.

Scorpio M2DI - An often overlooked car, with good interiors from the Scorpio, a modern body and chassis and a bulletproof DI Turbo engine that is cheap to fuel and maintain. You get the same good view and respect that you'd get in a Scorp. It s neither quick nor fast though. If you're a sedate driver looking for a solid, reliable and most importantly, cheap-to-own SUV, this is it.

Hyundai Getz - Why didn't this car sell more? It has everything going for it. Great styling (original and Prime), great drivetrains (except for the 1.1), big car feel, great bootspace, good comfort, and all safety features. Still makes a great used deal, especially the 110PS(?!) diesel.

Most Overrated Cars:

Toyota Fortuner - For reasons that have been mentioned already by others. It's not that good.

Swift Dzire - It's a Swift with a badly added-on boot. There is simply no angle that this car looks really good from. It's not as fun to drive as the Swift, the rear space sucks, and it's not even well built. The fact that Suzuki doesn't dare sell this contraption anywhere outside India should tell us all we need.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 19:51   #617
BHPian

Default Is ANHC Overhyped??

These are strictly my personal views and no offence to existing/prospective owners of this vehicle.
Request to Mods – Please move this thread to appropriate section and close if it’s already being discussed in some other Thread.

Guys, today I had my first encounter with ANHC after recently returning back to India and the drive left me totally disappointed.
Being one of the highest selling sedans under 10L, I had few expectations from this vehicle which were not met.

These are few negative observations:
-The car never felt planted on the road. Breaking was not up to the mark
-Interior plastic quality was poor
-Central instrument console was strictly avg – I believe does not suit a 10L car.
-Overall plasticky feel while driving the car – I don’t know how to explain this.

I am starting this thread as I think in our country we as consumers are taken for a ride by manufacturers by offering substandard products and charging a hefty premium .
Again, these are my personal views and NOM.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 19:54   #618
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is ANHC Overhyped??

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Breaking was not up to the mark
That's probably a good thing
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 20:37   #619
BHPian

There will always be some disatisfied people and sales figures suggest that its a very popular car and majority of owners are very happy with it. Its now a much better deal than ever with free insurance and some discounts. It easily has the best petrol engine in its class and the best interior space. So no way is it over hyped.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 01:28   #620
BHPian

If you were in the market looking for a sub 10 lakh petrol sedan, how many choices do you really have, that can 'comprehensively' trump the ANHC?
Like GTO mentioned somewhere, it is the most all round sedan one can buy in its category.
If someone gives a lot of weight to interiors and build quality, then perhaps Vento would be a better choice, but that's about it as far as the options go.
If only Honda wouldn't crib about replacing its tires with 195 ones, at least the highway behaviour would improve considerably
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
There will always be some disatisfied people and sales figures suggest that its a very popular car and majority of owners are very happy with it. Its now a much better deal than ever with free insurance and some discounts. It easily has the best petrol engine in its class and the best interior space. So no way is it over hyped.
I agree. Just purchased a VMT model, the total on road price is 9.05 Lakhs. Its a pretty decent deal, IMO.

Last edited by avisidhu : 11th February 2011 at 01:31. Reason: wanted to quote one statement, but forgot initially.
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 16:02   #621
BHPian

Quote:
These are strictly my personal views and no offence to existing/prospective owners of this vehicle.
Request to Mods – Please move this thread to appropriate section and close if it’s already being discussed in some other Thread.

Guys, today I had my first encounter with ANHC after recently returning back to India and the drive left me totally disappointed.
Being one of the highest selling sedans under 10L, I had few expectations from this vehicle which were not met.

-Central instrument console was strictly avg – I believe does not suit a 10L car.
-Overall plasticky feel while driving the car – I don’t know how to explain this.

I am starting this thread as I think in our country we as consumers are taken for a ride by manufacturers by offering substandard products and charging a hefty premium .
To some extent I would agree that the premium paid is because of the Honda badge rather than the product itself but the first thing that struck me is- You are back from a foreign country (Melbourne as your profile shows) and you might be unintentionally comparing models available there with what you find here. Going by that you might have felt the same with many other 10 lakh cars and not the City alone.
pacman2881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 16:34   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I kind of agree with you. But the fact is, City is immensely popular with buyers in India. This is what I observed:
  • City's biggest gain was from self-improvement - the current gen. city was miles ahead of its predecessor, and no more looked like a Jazz with a boot.
  • Before the launch of Vento (and now the Linea T-Jet), there was no worthy competition in the segment. And now its going so strong that the competitors find it hard to pull it down from the lead.
  • Even though over-rated, the City indeed is a good car, and 1.5 VTEC is one of the better petrol engines available in the market.
  • And then in India, the 3-box sedans scream premium over hatchbacks. That explains the success of City, and failure of the wonderful package called Jazz.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 21:33   #623
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I think my car, Elantra GLS petrol will feature in the top 10 underrated cars in India. I have had it for 5 years and can vouch for it's trouble free performance. Since it was underrated I got an excellent deal when I bought it new in 2005, even today, its VFM compared to soo many cars we have.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:38   #624

Here goes my 2 cents , But on Underrated…(Diesels) and those are still prevailing in the 2011 MARKET , I am not a good petrol head…

Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDI – 2.0
o Though I have seen at the beginning of this thread (way back in 2004) , Which started with saying OPTRA 1.8 (Not sure petrol or Diesel though) is the most Underrated CARs in India in the diesel cars currently available in INDIA.
o The justification I have is the sales numbers & the poor resale value the CAR(Chevy) is having. I agree with the point Magnum was locking heads with giants like (Corolla , Civic , Octy & Upto some extend Elantra as well(another Underrated car IMHO).
o Let me ask bluntly , Barring the Interiors (I fully agree , not at all contemporary) & Up to some extent the BOXY rear look , tell me where do one find a Diesel Mill(I would say rocket) (better than CRUZE in terms of drivability) with EXCELLENT Ride Quality & Neutral handling (No drama like Verna) in Indian Market , that too for a price around 10L with reasonable good FE.
o But the hard side of the Magnum story is, every month Chevy is just struggling to sell this sedan(Avg 300+) & the moment cruze came in Magnum was always under Cruze shadows. Also there is a very strong speculation that at any point in time Magnum could be stopped by GM.
 But why such damn good vehicle should be under the knife compared to the ‘AVATAR’s’ civic , corolla n all has taken (The new CIVIC for 2011 is already underway + New Elantra (Avante) is also underway)
o I would say Initially , the low selling would have attributed to the Poor CHEVY servicing & If I am not wrong , this is not the case anymore at least from my 3 months exp. But still I am not finding a BIG wave created for this vehicle.
FIAT Palio(1.6 petrol) (Actually this should have been decorated at No 1 spot of my list…)
o As all Unanimously said this is one of the best from FIAT but still selling in low numbers.Let me not stretch my post here.
TATA Manza(DIESEL) – A Fully VFM car , But having TATA & Taxi badge on its shoulders.
o Though I haven’t Test driven this car , from the reviews & observations , I am sure this car is certainly not at all behind any Sedans(Entry)when it comes to Performance(Good diesel engine) , Space , FE & Features.
o Also when compared to competitor sales (Dzire which does clock sales close to 5 digits almost very month) , In all means in par or may be slightly better from VFM aspect (IMHO), Manza is no where near to its RIVAL.
Auto_Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:58   #625
BHPian

Overrated - Scorpio.

The car lacks refinement and space which innova at a similar price provides. The SUV factor works only for those who actually go offroading and honestly how many of scorpio owners must be actually doing that?

Underrated - Aveo & Beat....they all are well built VFM cars. While They look good and feel premium they have been blamed for sluggish performance. Im not sure how many of us really put our cars on the drag strip every now and then. They seem fine for city driving to me.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:29   #626
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
Overrated - Scorpio.

The car lacks refinement and space which innova at a similar price provides. The SUV factor works only for those who actually go offroading and honestly how many of scorpio owners must be actually doing that?
The mhawk Engine is more refined and punchy than the Innova's engine, yet delivers similar FE.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 01:00   #627
BHPian

^^^ One of my friends has the Crde version od Scorpio and it is pretty noisy compared to the Innova's i have sat in. Obviously there is absolutely no contest in the comfort and quality. Innova has much more space and much better seats. The rear legroom in 2nd row is a joke in Scorpio and the 3rd row should be reserved for the people who one wants to torture. Also the plastics are much better in Innova. Really hard to believe that mhawk would be more refined than innova's engine. Also not sure if it would provide the longevity that toyota engines provide. The only place where Scorpio would be better (im sure) would be during some serious offroading.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:17   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
Really hard to believe that mhawk would be more refined than innova's engine. Also not sure if it would provide the longevity that toyota engines provide. The only place where Scorpio would be better (im sure) would be during some serious offroading.
Buddy, dont go by his words. Drive one & you will be forced to believe that the mHawk is indeed more refined that the D-4D. I had both simultaneously.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 22:45   #629
BHPian

Most overrated car
MSIL Swift Dzire.
I do not understand how people like the rear of that car and why people,inspite of being convinced that it a five year old car (swift) with a boot attached to it,buy it.

Most underrated car.
Logan(mahindra verito)
Good package, Super spacious interiors, nice suspension, fuel efficient engine, not so bad looks (little less than average looks), big boot and space, very rugged feel. All this and the car failed to click like it should have.
ideally it should sell more than the figo or swift but it sells very less.

I think the reasons are perception of a not so good A.S.S
Taxi car image
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:43   #630
BHPian

The Fiat Punto has to be among the most under-rated cars presently on sale. Brilliant dynamics, very good looking and available in both petrol and diesel variants: still sells just over a 1000 numbers.

The Tata Aria too needs to be counted in the same league. Much better appointed than the Innova, ZERO taxi image, fantastic looks, but still struggles to touch 3 digits.

The Verito (erstwhile Logan) too figures here. My first ride was in a Meru cab in Mumbai and the ride comfort and space just blew me away! On having a friendly chat with the driver, he also said how low on maintenence it was. This desreves to sell DZire like numbers.

Over-rated: Many models pop-up: Fortuner, Endevour, Dzire (has anyone not named this so far?) are what come top of the mind.

On prodding a little more, safe say many of Mercedes, BMW and Audis are among the most over rated. For the price you pay, the reliability you get is nowhere near a D-Segment car like the Accord (I know the inevitable badge value argument will come up, but lets park that aside for the moment).

What is most irritating though is that despite many of them assembling cars in India in CKD form in India, they charge obnoxious prices in comparison to other markets.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote