Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th June 2011, 02:50   #631
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
The Fiat Punto has to be among the most under-rated cars presently on sale. Brilliant dynamics, very good looking and available in both petrol and diesel variants: still sells just over a 1000 numbers.

overrated: Many models pop-up: Fortuner, Endevour, Dzire (has anyone not named this so far?) are what come top of the mind.
Every bit of what you said regarding the punto is cent percent correct but you missed out on the fact that average performance and poor image of Fiat in India maybe prevents it from being a hot hatch and a hot seller.

Yes, fortuner again though a capable off roader doesn't command that much of a premium, it after all is an innova on steeroids and coming to dynamics and off road capability an Outlander though petrol should be the best bet as it gives a great blend of on road dynamics and off the road capability.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 07:42   #632
BHPian

UnderRated:
Ford Fusion TDCI: Never set the sales chart on fire, nor ever spoken about much. Got to drive one last day, found the car to be refined, grippy, spacious and well built. Extremely Practical!
It is funny that FIGO seems to be a shrunk Fusion, and see how it sells!

Overrated:
Honda NHC, my cousin owns one. Needs service every 5000kms, Eats 8000bucks every 20,000km service, does not drive as well as say for example an SX4.
Looks like a boat. But sold well and people have all praises for it.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 11:44   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
UnderRated:
Ford Fusion TDCI: Never set the sales chart on fire, nor ever spoken about much. Got to drive one last day, found the car to be refined, grippy, spacious and well built. Extremely Practical!
It is funny that FIGO seems to be a shrunk Fusion, and see how it sells!

Overrated:
Honda NHC, my cousin owns one. Needs service every 5000kms, Eats 8000bucks every 20,000km service, does not drive as well as say for example an SX4.
Looks like a boat. But sold well and people have all praises for it.
Yes fusion is a nice car and its a pity it never did well. I hope it was attractively priced back then and once again I agree NHC was way over rated.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 20:36   #634
BHPian

I've gone thru this thread with interest.There appears to be an impression that underated cars are excellent but the indian driving public has failed to appreciate some important qualities & generally tends to settle for many overrated cars which really do not deserve the consumer loyalty they have garnered.
IMHO, every car,( or for that matter, every consumer good) is a bundle of attributes which may appeal to a certain set of consumers more than another car, depending on how the set of consumers prioritise such attributes.
Surely consumers, who put down their hard earned money for a car( or any other good) are entitled to their judgement & are also entitled to respect for it?
Again, IMHO, the cars deemed to be excellent but which failed to enthuse the Indian customer represented what the Manufacturers thought is good for the consumers instead of the other way around?
Maybe thats the reason why some market & consumer savvy companies seem to turn out one hit model after another while internationally big names seem to struggle to put out models that will attract buyers in any significant numbers.
IMHO successful companies respect the set of customers they intend catering to, spend sufficient time & effort to understand their needs, & then come out with suitable products, instead of treating customers as beings with limited intelligence who need to told what is good for them.
My 2 cents.
Kamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 13:30   #635

Most overrated car has to be the Mahindra XYLO and most underrated is the Chevy optra SRV.
kr.vikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 14:56   #636
BHPian

Add i20 to the overrated list. Nice looks and interiors and that pretty much sums up the car.
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:00   #637
BHPian

Fiat cars are really most underrated cars in the Indian market.There is no other car in this range which can match high speed dynamics of punto and for that matter the ride quality .
Its really heart breaking that now sales figure of punto have come down under thousand
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:20   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Fiat cars are really most underrated cars in the Indian market.There is no other car in this range which can match high speed dynamics of punto and for that matter the ride quality .
Its really heart breaking that now sales figure of punto have come down under thousand
I Agree the Punto is such a nice looking car with great performance and so many advanced features. But I guess that the past record (Uno/ Palio) and the word spread by Mechanics and Brokers are scaring people away from buying the car.
venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:38   #639
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The most under rated car: Elantra.
Attached Images

Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 22:55   #640
Zed
BHPian

For the most underrated car in India - ever, my votes with the dolphin. I learnt to drive in one - and boy was it fun to drive. It was a completely new kind of automobile when it was launched in India. Sure the Maruti 800 took the spotlight & captured the imagination of the general public but the dolphin was just miles ahead in its quirkiness quotient. Two doors, a light fibreglass body, a small 4 ccyld engine with rear wheel drive, a sporty exhaust note...absolute bonkers by standards of the day. And in that lay its appeal which saw a cult following for a brief period of time. Wonder how many of these relics from the past are still plying on Indian roads.

Like stated in an earlier thread - I do not believe that any car is really over-rated. Its just a question of the value proposition that the car offers and the fact that the proposition appeals to a set of individuals.

Perhaps ' Inexplicable ' is a better word - why some cars \ Marques sell in large numbers inspite of technical or other reasons that seem to indicate that they are neither best in class nor value and why other dont.
Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 11:26   #641
Senior - BHPian

Right now, I feel the most underrated car is the Linea & Punto.

Especially after buying a Punto, every second individual comes & asks me "why have you bought a FIAT?". Its not at all surprising to know that they have never driven, owned or sat in a punto & still manage to comment about how bad is the performance, how unreliable it is & how bad the A.S.S. is. I dont deny that the performance is mediocre & the A.S.S. is strictly average but I feel if this car was branded as a maruti or hyundai, it would have rocked the sales charts. the punto & linea, inspite of being great cars, has been sidelined just because it is a FIAT. I agree that FIAT is to be blamed here for not setting up it's own service centres, but as far as my experience goes, service standards of TATA-FIAT is not as bad as projected.

Overated I think is the Innova, Safari & Fortuner.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 20:15   #642
BHPian

This is in terms of the Indian automotive market of all times

I'm sorry I have multiple cars to talk about

Most over rated cars - Hyundai Accent, Sonata, Mercedes C Class, BMW X1

Most under rated cars - Suzuki Baleno, Opel Vectra, Ford Mondeo, Volvo S80

(which is why most of these cars either never remained in the market, or had to be sold at reduced rates - the Indian market never understood these cars)

Most over rated car co - Hyundai

Most under rated car co - Volvo
haldar_siliguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 03:17   #643
BHPian

Well, I joined Team BHP only after seeing the kind of passionate discussions Linea has been evoking amongst the members and to become a part of that. I maintain by my statement, made earlier by me while seeking membership to this forum, that Linea remains one of the best packages available to date. And it makes a highly under rated car, if we go by the numbers for Aug (as per Team BHP - not as quoted by the various dealers - a subject which I am bound to start a fresh discussion on very soon)

And since Linea is so frequently pipped at the post by the ANHC, and since I have compared it so very often with the T-Jet and have found T-Jet to be almost always an undeserving loser, I summarily declare ANHC as the most over rated car in the Indian Car market!

Sorry for being but I wonder if any Team-BHP member has opted for Linea in any of its avatars in the last six - nine months! Notwithstanding that, I frankly am ready for becoming the dissenting pupil in the forthcoming festive season and plan to go ahead with Linea MJD EMotion Pk, provided FIAT doesn't give any negative indications on this fantastic, but poorly performing model.
Charioteer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 09:48   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post
Linea remains one of the best packages available to date. And it makes a highly under rated car

The Fiat Linea may be underrated but they certainly do not rate high in terms of authorized service stations. Having partnered with a brand infamous for its own authorized service stations, Fiat may have shot itself in the foot. The Fiat Linea, however, would have been the sedan of choice in terms of looks, space, and engine (the diesel variant carries the same Fiat 1.3L as most Indian vehicles today do).

The attitude of buyers in Tata showrooms has probably caused Tata to create separate showrooms for Fiat in some cities. If they choose to go that route for the service stations as well, that may help increase buyer confidence in the brand to some extent.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:43   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charioteer View Post
I summarily declare ANHC as the most over rated car in the Indian Car market!
+1. Never driven a Linea but couple TDs of ANHC left me utterly disappointed. Its surely one of the most overrated cars on our roads.

Last edited by C300 : 17th September 2011 at 12:43. Reason: Formatting
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote