BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Most underrated car: Optra Magnum
Most Overrated : Swift DZire.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 04:23   #647
Senior - BHPian

Most over rated cars : Hyundai i20, Scorpio.
Most under rated car : Ford Fusion (I own one), Tata Aria.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:33   #648
Team-BHP Support

The current most over-rated cars cars in India: The Fluidic Verna. The i20. The Toyota twins, the Etios and the Liva. Tata Nano.

The current under-rated cars in India: The Renault Fluence. Volvo S60. The new VW Passat. The Nissan Micra. Suzuki Kizashi. Maruti A-Star. Honda Jazz.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 09:42   #649

The underrated, the Palio which I own, amazing car done 147000 and still going strong. Pity about the the company that makes them though, what an opportunity lost, probably the best heritage in this country and among the most recognized brands, blown.Need to go back to marketing 101
Overrated, Skoda Fabia, I own one and my aunt owns another, good build but everything else sucks. Terribly unreliable poor service and unavailable parts. Give this car a miss. The others I know who own this car also have some major gripes along similar lines.
Pattam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 10:50   #650
Team-BHP Support

The other day, I was walking to the Metro Station and I noticed a strange car in the distance. It turned out to be a Chevrolet/Subaru Forester. I don't see too many Foresters in Bangalore, so I stopped for a second and check it out. And then it struck me.

The Forester is the car India always wanted. It's the car that India always needed. There are a few threads on Team BHP where there are animated discussions on practical SUVs. the ideal car for India would be a compact SUV with a diesel engine. The Forester, even though it was powered by a petrol mill, was, and still is, a wonderful car.

It isn't as large as other SUVs. It has the GC to tackle anything Bangalore throws at it. It's quite spacious. And the Subaru Impreza derived Boxer-lump is an engineering masterpiece. It's a pity that the car didn't do well in our market. It's probably the most underrated car to have ever been sold in India.

Could it be because it was powered by a petrol engine? Did the cost of petrol really matter 7 years ago, when it was first introduced. I don't think so.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:16   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's a pity that the car didn't do well in our market. It's probably the most underrated car to have ever been sold in India.

Could it be because it was powered by a petrol engine? Did the cost of petrol really matter 7 years ago, when it was first introduced. I don't think so.
Well, lack of brand presence and after sale services. Add to that, unavailablity of the spare parts aftermarket. I do stand by the fact that I love Forester like anything else, in fact one of my professors in School had one and I always loved the way this thing used to get along out in the fields. Pity on its market share, indeed.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:47   #652
BHPian

Most overrated - Swift(In all avatars) - Is it worth the 8 month wait? And i20 - Terribly overpriced(The diesel especially), but still overrated.
Most underrated - Optra Magnum. Sad it didn't take off.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 13:11   #653
BHPian

I can't help feel this would have been better as a poll to gauge results.

For my part, the most overrated car this country has ever produced continues to be the Honda City. Not because it's a bad car, but because (a) it's historically been extremely overpriced, the after-sales isn't cheap, and it commands an unjustified premium because Indians seem to think that Hondas carry some brand cache... that having a Honda is a sign of having 'arrived'. Most people buy Honda Citys in an effort to keep up with the Joneses.

Credit should go to the savvy folks at Honda for catching on to this and milking it for all they could. I say this as a City owner, by the way.

I'd agree that underrated cars are the Chevy Optra Magnum, the Forrester (discontinued), and the Captiva. Enthusiasts on this board aside, there's very little public segment for these cars.
The Astra was also pretty underrated. Speak to most people who owned Astras and most of them will speak of their cars with a great fondness... yes, parts were expensive, but the car's other attributes more than compensated for this.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 13:25   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Forester is the car India always wanted. It's the car that India always needed. There are a few threads on Team BHP where there are animated discussions on practical SUVs. the ideal car for India would be a compact SUV with a diesel engine. The Forester, even though it was powered by a petrol mill, was, and still is, a wonderful car.

It isn't as large as other SUVs. It has the GC to tackle anything Bangalore throws at it. It's quite spacious. And the Subaru Impreza derived Boxer-lump is an engineering masterpiece. It's a pity that the car didn't do well in our market. It's probably the most underrated car to have ever been sold in India.

It is a near perfect size (right height, you just walk in to the seats), flexibility of seats, good balance of ride and handling and extremely well built.
But the reasons for failure are:
  • mistaken identity (looks like a station wagon)
  • lack of 'road presence' typical SUV buyers look for
  • not very spacious rear seat, not fit to be chauffeur driven
  • confused brand identity (Subaru or Chevy? Even Chevy was associated with selling Taveras and not many buyers knew Subaru
    roots)
  • True enthusiasts would have been disappointed with the performance (which is poor at low speeds to adequate in mid range and top end)
Petrol, and not so good FE would have played some role but similarly priced CRV sold 10 times.

Last edited by Guna : 11th November 2011 at 13:28.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:52   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It is a near perfect size (right height, you just walk in to the seats), flexibility of seats, good balance of ride and handling and extremely well built.
But the reasons for failure are:
  • mistaken identity (looks like a station wagon)
  • lack of 'road presence' typical SUV buyers look for
  • not very spacious rear seat, not fit to be chauffeur driven
  • confused brand identity (Subaru or Chevy? Even Chevy was associated with selling Taveras and not many buyers knew Subaru
    roots)
  • True enthusiasts would have been disappointed with the performance (which is poor at low speeds to adequate in mid range and top end)
Petrol, and not so good FE would have played some role but similarly priced CRV sold 10 times.
I honestly believe that mistaken identity, road presence, etc. had nothing to do with the downfall of the Forester. Yes it did look a bit like a station-wagon, and estate cars/station-wagons don't do particularly well in India. Remember the Octavia Combi?

I believe the real reason why the Forester failed is the lack of spares and poor after-sales-service and the fact that Chevrolet weren't really established back then.

If petrol was the reason why it failed, then Honda wouldn't have sold so many CRVs either. Basically, if the Forester was a Honda product, it would have set the sales charts on fire, IMO. It all comes down to the brand. And it's unfortunate that such a brilliant car failed in a country where it would have otherwise done well, at least on paper!

And that's why, it's one of the most underrated cars to have been sold in India.

Three cheers to those who plonked 13-15 lakhs on the Forester. I believe that it's money well spent. I salute those who thought out of the box.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 15:00   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the real reason why the Forester failed is the lack of spares and poor after-sales-service and the fact that Chevrolet weren't really established back then.
I believe spares/service was not the issue when they were selling the Forester (2003-2006). GM would order the spares like in case any CBU except probably the service parts, which they would keep in stock.
'Road presence ' is an important aspect for a typical SUV buyer (may not be for you and me).
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 17:06   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Most overrated - Swift(In all avatars) - Is it worth the 8 month wait? And i20 - Terribly overpriced(The diesel especially), but still overrated.
Most underrated - Optra Magnum. Sad it didn't take off.
Do you think the Swift is overrated only because of the waiting period? That seems like a harsh indictment of what is actually a good car. 'Overrated' implies that youre probably paying too much for what you're actually receiving.... and I don't think the Swift fits that bill.

Also, I think the wait has nothing to do with the Swift, per se, it's more to do with Maruti's recent labour troubles.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 18:00   #658
BHPian

Most Underrated Cars in India FIAT.
Most Overrated Cars in India Suzuki.

Probably the Nightmare of Premier Automobiles will take a while to get over peoples mind.
kapursaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 18:37   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Do you think the Swift is overrated only because of the waiting period? That seems like a harsh indictment of what is actually a good car. 'Overrated' implies that youre probably paying too much for what you're actually receiving.... and I don't think the Swift fits that bill.

Also, I think the wait has nothing to do with the Swift, per se, it's more to do with Maruti's recent labour troubles.

I do understand what overrated means. Contrary to what you have mentioned, overrated does not imply you are over paying.

o·ver·rate (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

What I meant to say is that I do not think it is such a brilliant product that people have to wait for 8 months. More so for the Dzire. I do not mean to offend the Swift owners. It is just my personal opinion.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 20:50   #660
BHPian

Overrated hatch= Swift
Underrated hatch= Punto

Overrated Sedan = DeZire
Underrated Sedan = Linea
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote