Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th November 2011, 00:47   #661
BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

For me the most overrated cars are
Hyundai Verna (Especially the looks), Hyundai i20 ( Too many features, but quite expensive and not fun to drive) , New Swift (Only the Swift DDiS ZDi, Not too much additional value for price paid as compared to previous gen Swift VDi + ABS) , Honda NHC (It had the advantage of OHC behind which carried that advantage forward into the NHC. However ANHC not overrated.)

Most Underrated cars:
Hyundai Elantra and Hyundai Sonata, Fiat Palio, Fiat Linea, Ford Fusion, Chevy Optra, Mondeo also comes to my mind.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 09:15   #662
BHPian

Most overrated car (only on T-BHP) and this is my personal experience : Fiat Punto Petrol. I took the test drive of Punto petrol and I hated it. Maybe it was the test drive vehicle but I absolutely hated the experience.
overrated car in general : i20 & Swift (in terms of what it offers for the price). No offense to anyone
Most underrated car : Honda Jazz
sunnyworld is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 12:29   #663
BHPian

Most overrated car - Swift
Most underrated car - Jazz with reduced price
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 13:19   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
I do understand what overrated means. Contrary to what you have mentioned, overrated does not imply you are over paying.

o·ver·rate (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

What I meant to say is that I do not think it is such a brilliant product that people have to wait for 8 months. More so for the Dzire. I do not mean to offend the Swift owners. It is just my personal opinion.
I didn't say it 'meant' overpaying, I said 'implied' overpaying. There's a difference. Usually when a group of people overestimate something too highly, they tend to place a higher monetary value on it than it's actual worth. Usually, overrated products command a financial premium, so the two are linked.

My point was simply that you seemed to think it was overrated because of the waiting period, and like I said that had more to do with their recent labour troubles.

Would you still think it was overrated if the wait was only two months?

Also, most Porsches in bombay have a waiting period of 6-12 months. Does that mean they are overrated too?
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:05   #665
BHPian

IMHO, overrating and underrating is the market response to a product vis-a-vis what it actually offers.
Keeping that in mind, I reckon the most overrated car today is the Suzuki Swift Dzire. There are much better options available in the market. The two things that work in its favor are the after-sales service of MSIL and the name that comes before 'Dzire'.

The most underrated car, according to me, is the Honda Jazz. I know that the next part of this sentence is a very big claim, but today the Jazz is probably the best car that you can buy for your daily commute. And I'm saying this after driving over arrow straight Rajasthan roads as well as bumpy pathways in interior UP/Bihar.
dreamseller is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 20:52   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller
IMHO, overrating and underrating is the market response to a product vis-a-vis what it actually offers.
Keeping that in mind, I reckon the most overrated car today is the Suzuki Swift Dzire. There are much better options available in the market. The two things that work in its favor are the after-sales service of MSIL and the name that comes before 'Dzire'.

The most underrated car, according to me, is the Honda Jazz. I know that the next part of this sentence is a very big claim, but today the Jazz is probably the best car that you can buy for your daily commute. And I'm saying this after driving over arrow straight Rajasthan roads as well as bumpy pathways in interior UP/Bihar.
I would add the LittleBigFoot the Yeti to this list!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 22:09   #667
BHPian

Most overrated car on Team bhp
Hatch - The Punto
Sedan - The Linea

Most overrated car by the public
Hatch - Hyundai i20
Sedan - Dzire

Most underrated car by the public
Hatch - A Star
Sedan - Fiesta S

Most underrated car by team bhp
Hatch - Jazz
Sedan - Skodas
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:13   #668
BHPian

Most Overrated Right now its the Swift
Most Underrated Fiat Punto
jasmeetsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:29   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

To me,

The most over rated car(s) = Swift / Dzire

Underrated ones are - Optra D, Cedia
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:47   #670
BHPian

Most hated car in Team-BHP : Dzire and i20
This thread proved it
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 13:53   #671
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I beg to differ from a lot of you here.The swift and dzire are not "over rated" cars, they just happen to be successful for what they offer. Yes the new swift is more expensive than the old one, but suzuki is just trying to cash in on the old swift's success. In 2007-08 the swift LXI sold for 4.46 lakhs OTR in bangalore, now I'm sure it is around 5.05 or so. maruti has gradually increased the prices, which any manufacturer woud do.

In my perception, "over rated" simply means that there is a lot of hype or positive feedback over a certain car, whereas the actual car doesnt live up to it. It has nothing to do with the top end model of a car being expensive or a car selling in huge numbers!

If I have to mention a car that is over rated based on my above mentioned perception, then I can think of only the ford fiesta TDCI. I know a lot of folks wont agree with me, but the car commands such hype everywhere {mostly for the petrol 1.6 and even for the diesel at times}. I considered buying the car and I test drove it like 3-4 times and have even driven it on a highway, but I did not get completely bowled over or something like that. It is a good car, but will you be floored by it? No!

And under rated, I think it has to be the fabia. forget about service, skoda etc. As a hatch, it does what it is supposed to do. But it has been constantly been flaked for its pricing. Even when they revised prices, it never really got its due. And now Polo seems to be over shadowing the fabia.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 20:03   #672
BHPian

Most Overrated Car : Maruti Dzire

Most Underrated Car : Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDI ( The car I couldn't find any faults with, looks are subjective though. Just take a test drive, and its hard to ignore it.)
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 22:33   #673
BHPian

Most Over Rated Car: Any car with a Toyota badge

Most Under Rated Car: Hyundai Sonata (Old and New)
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 22:58   #674
BHPian

When people buy a car they do their minimum research work and analysis before concluding with it. Under rated car thing is understandable.
But Over rated car?

7 lakh rupees and people don't get carried away with their hard earned money.

If a Dzire owner or NHC or Scorpio owner says the car is not worth the money then its understandable.
In general dzire owners or even Scorpio owners are very happy about their cars because they satisfy their needs then how come they are over rated ?
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 23:16   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I beg to differ from a lot of you here.The swift and dzire are not "over rated" cars, they just happen to be successful for what they offer. Yes the new swift is more expensive than the old one, but suzuki is just trying to cash in on the old swift's success. In 2007-08 the swift LXI sold for 4.46 lakhs OTR in bangalore, now I'm sure it is around 5.05 or so. maruti has gradually increased the prices, which any manufacturer woud do.
I think the Swift Dzire is hugely overrated for what it offers. I'm talking about the old one of course. Why? Well, for starters, it's a hatch with a boot. Nothing wrong with that. But Maruti haven't got it right in terms of looks. Now looks is a subjective thing, but I think 99% of the people would agree with me when I say that the Dzire is probably the ugliest car to have been sold in our country in the recent past. And I will include cars like the Xylo in that list too.

Both these cars are not well proportioned. I have a better design in my head, and honestly, I believe that my design would have worked for the Swift. (unfortunately, I don't have the skills to put my sketch onto paper) What Maruti has done is CCP a boot on the Swift. Very innovative, I must say. I mean, the least they could have done is add some fluidity to the design.

The Swift is a looker, and that's one of its trump-cards, I'd like to believe. Apart from that lovely engine (both, the G13B and the K12), I don't see anything else phenomenal with the car. yes, the car is dynamically sound. But you would expect that from a car that is a JWRC participant.

The build-quality is appalling, honestly. I don't know about the new Swift, but I can safely say that the old one could have been better put-together. The quality of plastics on the inside is horrendous. And unfortunately, this has been passed onto the Swift Dzire too.

Maruti's after-sales-service is great. And that's a huge plus-point for the Swift.

But does the Dzire really deserve the 15 years of fame? Especially for the way it looks? I don't think so.

I know, looks aren't everything. But IMO, it plays an important role in the experience of buying a car. You need to factor that in somewhere.

And honestly, what is SOOO great about it anyway?

That's why, I believe it's overrated!

And now, it's even more overrated because MSIL has become cocky over the years and have been increasing the price steadily. So the VFM quotient it enjoyed is diminishing.

And I believe that it will completely diminish now, with the arrival of the new Swift Dzire.

I also believe that the XUV is hugely overrated too. Granted, it's a wonderful product and a wonderful feat by Mahindra. But its niggles are a turn-off, and the fact that it feels like an unfinished product makes it even more overrated.

Oh, by the way. I LOVE the XUV. I think it looks fabulous and has all the right ingredients. I'd love to own and drive it someday, and even have an idea as to what I'd like to do to it. I'm a huge fan, and I've never been a fan of Mahindra/Tata cars as such. Barring a few exceptions.

Quote:
In my perception, "over rated" simply means that there is a lot of hype or positive feedback over a certain car, whereas the actual car doesnt live up to it. It has nothing to do with the top end model of a car being expensive or a car selling in huge numbers!
Wholeheartedly

Quote:
If I have to mention a car that is over rated based on my above mentioned perception, then I can think of only the ford fiesta TDCI. I know a lot of folks wont agree with me, but the car commands such hype everywhere {mostly for the petrol 1.6 and even for the diesel at times}. I considered buying the car and I test drove it like 3-4 times and have even driven it on a highway, but I did not get completely bowled over or something like that. It is a good car, but will you be floored by it? No!
I don't agree with this.

Somehow, I believe the Fiesta did not get enough credit.

IMO, it was (and still is) one of the most sorted entry-level sedans in India. (talking about the old Fiesta)

It's a phenomenal drivers' car, and the only other car that's just as good when it comes to delivering pure driving pleasure is the Octavia vRS. It has such a well-weighed steering-wheel that's very communicative, a wonderfully spaced 'box with a very positive shifting-action, and a sweet-sounding engine. It had just the right amount of space on the inside (could have been better though) and feels very well put together.

I loved its clean and understated lines too.

I think the Fiesta 1.6S took over, where the Old Honda City left off.

Quote:
And under rated, I think it has to be the fabia. forget about service, skoda etc. As a hatch, it does what it is supposed to do. But it has been constantly been flaked for its pricing. Even when they revised prices, it never really got its due. And now Polo seems to be over shadowing the fabia.
While the Fabia is an underrated car, I think the Jazz (especially after the price-cut) is even more underrated. Just look at what it offers. The interior-space of a sedan, the boot-space and versatility of a mini-MPV, a wonderfully refined and equally frugal and smooth 1.2 iVtec mill, fantastic reliability backed by good service-network, it's relatively small - and therefore a breeze in city-traffic and parking spots, all at a tantalizing price of a base entry-level sedan.

What more could you ask for?

Anyway, I believe that the old Chevrolet/Subaru Forester is massively underrated too. Same goes for the Chevrolet SRV.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th January 2012 at 23:17.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote