Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st January 2012, 00:08   #676
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

For me, the most overrated cars currently in India are Swift and Dezire.
And I feel Optra Magnus is bit underrated. I like the space and the power delivered by this vehicle.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 01:05   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Most overrated car on Team bhp
Hatch - The Punto
Sedan - The Linea
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmeetsingh View Post
Most Overrated Right now its the Swift
Most Underrated Fiat Punto
Back to Back posts. This is the beauty of T-BHP.

I don't think that Honda Jazz is underrated as Honda made it to remain underrated and not public. The people always were waiting for launch and to buy one but Honda spoiled the party. Now as seen in other cases eg. Fabia, Fusion, Aria, All New Fiesta, etc. that even if the prices have been reduced people are not at all ready to buy one, maybe because they may feel that spares and maintenence would still be high.

Another proof of people's love for Honda is the response to Brio, which has been overwhelming.

Also Honda and some other companies have not advertised the massive price reductions aggressively (can someone explain logic behind this from marketing point of view).

One more point is that right after the price correction, the Thailand floods came and stopped the Jazz production. Now Honda has even cancelled the confirmed bookings of Jazz. So the real performance of the Jazz is still not seen by us in the market after price reduction.

One of my known used car dealer who is having contacts in all the showrooms was telling me that Honda may pull Jazz out of the market as to use the production capacity for Brio as the Jazz is not expected to do well. I was like . I think Jazz deserves another chance. This is one car really appealed to me after my Fusion.

Last edited by carwatcher : 21st January 2012 at 01:08.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:08   #678
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@suhaas307, I think you have missed my point. My point is that the dzire or the swift were never over rated. They were cars that performed adequately with a decent after sales track record. Do enthusiasts go "gaga" over these 2 cars, to a certain extent for the swift, but never for the dzire.And so were they over rated? No! The Alto / Wagon R also sell in great numbers, and I dont think they are over rated either. From what I understood from this thread is that an "over rated car" is typically a car which most auto mags or even auto enthusiasts go head over heels with, but some of us may do not find that hype justified.
Just because a car sells well, it doesnt mean it is over rated. Ths swift / dzire sell well because of their practicality more than anything else.
And with regard to the jazz, yes it is a superb car, but when it was launched it was priced hideously and its prices were the sole reason that it failed. Yes, they have reduced prices now and I saw a comparo recently where it had outscored the new swift in all aspects. May be at this point the jazz is a little under rated, but in a predominantly diesel B+ hatch market, it has little to do.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:01   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Most overrated car on Team bhp
Hatch - The Punto
Sedan - The Linea

Most overrated car by the public
Hatch - Hyundai i20
Sedan - Dzire

Most underrated car by team bhp
Hatch - Jazz
Sedan - Skodas

TOTALLY agree with you. Linea and punto have miles to go in interior quality and service. Not everybody has the pleasure of driving on good roads to throw these cars all over, to enjoy their so called handling.

Last edited by Zero Cool : 23rd January 2012 at 18:04. Reason: adding more stuff
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:33   #680
BHPian

Generally in agreement..

Most over-rated cars by public -

Hyundai - Santro, i10, i20 particularly i20
Maruti - Swift and Swift Dzire
New to join - Mahindra XUV 500

Most Under-rated cars by public -
FIAT - Palio and now Punto
Honda - Jazz
Nissan - Micra
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 15:36   #681

Most Overated - Mitsubishi Lancer (I still hear guys talk about this car like its a ferrari)
Most Underated - Maruti Zen (not estillo)
heatednemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 16:11   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Generally in agreement..

Most over-rated cars by public -

Hyundai - Santro, i10, i20 particularly i20
Maruti - Swift and Swift Dzire
New to join - Mahindra XUV 500

Honda - Jazz
Nissan - Micra
Why do you think this is most over-rated, even if it is, dont you think it deserves the attention ? Which other manufacturer is offering this VFM ?

About the niggles/problems, Fortuner from legendary Toyota had braking issues when it was launched and the manufacturer denied to accept it till almost 6mnths after it was launched.
2500cc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 18:18   #683
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would again state that a lot of us are missing the point of a car being over rated or under rated here. I'm constantly seeing fiat linea /punto and the swift/dzire in the over rated section, which I think is not right. It has nothing to do with the sales numbers, servicing, spares or price either. If a car is priced ridicluously high, say compared to its competitors, then its not VFM and not actually "over rated". If the swifts and dzires sell well then its probably due their practicality and not because ther are "over rated".
You see auto mags going gaga over a certain car, but when you drive it you are not exactly in sync with the comments made by the auto mag or critic.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 10:43   #684
BHPian

Either the mods or the owner should be adding a poll to this thread. Would help everyone see what T-BHP members think in general.
dheepak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 14:26   #685
BHPian

Overrated as well as overpriced - Toyota Fortuner

Underrated - Optra Magnum
caprico4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 14:46   #686
BHPian

Overrated car : D'zire
The boot attachment is really awkward and still it sells in high numbers. It can just seat 4 adults comfortably. People buy D'zire only to get virtual feeling that they have bought a SEDAN.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 14:49   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Generally in agreement..

Honda - Jazz
Nissan - Micra
Thought the Micra is quite a good car, the F.E figures look good as well its a fun to drive car in our city traffic. Although i didn't personally like ts girly looks and curvy design in the interiors thought the Micra would be a much acclaimed car in the public.

Would like to add the Kizashi onto as a much overrated car, got a chance to take it for a spin last month and was shocked to hear some squeaky tones from the door panel . "OMG, it reminded me of my previous alto"
MercLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:22   #688
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't say Jazz as underrated. It was so for a reason, Honda charged too much. Now that it is back to rational ground, nature is playing havoc, and Jazz production is in jeopardy. Let things settle a bit, and I am sure Jazz will gain its deserved glory.

Most overrated: Etios twins. A T badge can have the worst interiors and still can manage to sell. Had it been a Tata, oh God, there would be mass killings!

Most underrated: Fiat Palio. I was getting a 2008 8000km run 1.1 SLX for 1.8L and still quite a few mechanics simply advised to forget it. I guess it has too much a negative image in mechanics and senior drivers' brain.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:33   #689
BHPian

I might have posted on this thread before but right now in my opinion the most overrated car in India is undoubtedly - Ford Figo. The entire country went crazy over this car. It was like god sent for them. As if no manufacturer had ever produced a car that handles any better or provides awesome features liek the Figo. Common guys, it's just another Ford. It was only after the first batch of problems and niggles started cropping up that people woke up to this pandora.

Most underrated car - Fiat Punto. I mean, just look at the dismal sales of this beauty. What does it not have that it is being treated like a step child? Good features, amazing steering feedback, sturdy build quality, dashing looks, highway stability, national engine, decent service network and service centers too. If there is one car company that needs a second chance, it's Fiat.
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 15:42   #690
BHPian

Overrate- Scorpio, XUV 5oo
On the lighter side Success of XUV is similar to the 'Kolaveri' song. Till date I am unable understand the mentality of huge fan following (for car as well as the song).. And more so seeing people with 15L in pocket still purchasing a lottery LOL!..

Underrated- Tempo Gurkha

Fiat vehicles are not underrated, if Fiat does not know how to do business then it is not fault of automobile uneducated majority population of India who is ready to wait for months together for a Tin can.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 25th January 2012 at 15:44.
Speed Pujari is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote