Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th January 2012, 16:02   #691
BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Overrated - XUV500
Underrated - Luna ( Boy ! This thing can climb a 60 degree ascent!)
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 16:21   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
On the lighter side Success of XUV is similar to the 'Kolaveri' song. Till date I am unable understand the mentality of huge fan following (for car as well as the song).. And more so seeing people with 15L in pocket still purchasing a lottery LOL!..
The fan following is because of the value for money prospect of the car.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 16:58   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The fan following is because of the value for money prospect of the car.
No offence, but Mahindra does not have a history of making reliable cars and like always their car look amazing on paper. A new avatar cannot change the scene overnight..

Also, there is an insider info of XUV test vehicle getting crashed on chennai race track. I don't know how much of this is true, but it seems they were diagnosing the issue of car getting unstable at speed higher than 120 kmph. There were engineers from India and china who were severely injured.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:11   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence, but Mahindra does not have a history of making reliable cars and like always their car look amazing on paper. A new avatar cannot change the scene overnight..

Also, there is an insider info of XUV test vehicle getting crashed on chennai race track. I don't know how much of this is true, but it seems they were diagnosing the issue of car getting unstable at speed higher than 120 kmph. There were engineers from India and china who were severely injured.
Reliability is now a subjective thingy. I have had a Scorpio which is 9 years & 2 lac kms old & has not given any major issues, until now.

So for some, if Boot door creaking or Tyre pressure sensor giving errors is a big issue which accounts to relibility, then yes, Mahindra is not reliable. Across the forum, I have not read many stories of Mahindras breaking down on the road or vital components failing, that I should call it unreliable.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 17:40   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Reliability is now a subjective thingy. I have had a Scorpio which is 9 years & 2 lac kms old & has not given any major issues, until now.

So for some, if Boot door creaking or Tyre pressure sensor giving errors is a big issue which accounts to relibility, then yes, Mahindra is not reliable. Across the forum, I have not read many stories of Mahindras breaking down on the road or vital components failing, that I should call it unreliable.
I think monopoly is what mahindra has enjoyed. Since there had been no competition thus no benchmarking.

Also about reporting the issues, like I have been mentioning in other threads that many issues goes unreported. I know a person who had to get chassis replacement done on his scorpio after a minor accident with a Yamaha RX-100 at crawl speed (the bike went inside the gap between wheels and fender while the wheel was fully turned) ..

If I have 15 lakhs to spend on a SUV then comfort will be my first requirement. Having sat inside a XUV, I never felt like sitting in a 15 lakhs car. Scorpio comfort is something whole world knows about.

Again no offense meant, but this is a general perception of people. And I am sure that everyone knows an owner, used, driven, or at least owned a scorpio in this forum can agree to these comments.

Quote:
So for some, if Boot door creaking or Tyre pressure sensor giving errors is a big issue which accounts to relibility, then yes, Mahindra is not reliable.
If things are immature, untested, unproven then there is no point in selling them. Mahindra is at its advantage and do not have to worry since whatever they launch will sell let it be good, bad or ugly.

The electronics are mostly outsourced to Delphi. There is a parameter for electronics reliability which is specified by the manufacturer.

Digest this- Brands like Toyota, Chevy(and other american brands), etc. specify the life of electronics to a minimum of 15 years.

With Tata and Mahindra- It is 3 to 5 years (please do not ask the source of this information.)
So you decide are you paying for XUV or 'overpaying' ..

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 25th January 2012 at 17:41.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 19:00   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the Swift and Dzire the most over-rated car? People are crazy over these two cars and no other car I know off can boast of waiting periods even when the model is in for discontinuation. Now this is not just people following eachother but actually because the said cars are really great products and suit the requirements of most Indian buyers. They are :
1. VFM
2. Reliable
3. Best service network
4. Good FE
5. Great diesel engine and Petrol too.
6. Peppy to drive for an average driver on city roads and highways.
7. Offer decent space if not the best.

Now those 7 points above easily make them the car to buy for most of the customers. No other car in there segments offer the same range of comfort and convenience. Then how are they over-rated?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 21:41   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Overrated - XUV500
Underrated - Luna ( Boy ! This thing can climb a 60 degree ascent!)
Even if the luna can't climb a 60 degree ascent, You can make it climb by using the pedals

My personal opinion on the over and under rated :
Over : Recent times, it's the all new swift
under : Nano.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 21:52   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How is the Swift and Dzire the most over-rated car? People are crazy over these two cars and no other car I know off can boast of waiting periods even when the model is in for discontinuation. Now this is not just people following eachother but actually because the said cars are really great products and suit the requirements of most Indian buyers. They are :
1. VFM
2. Reliable
3. Best service network
4. Good FE
5. Great diesel engine and Petrol too.
6. Peppy to drive for an average driver on city roads and highways.
7. Offer decent space if not the best.

Now those 7 points above easily make them the car to buy for most of the customers. No other car in there segments offer the same range of comfort and convenience. Then how are they over-rated?
I am talking purely out of ignorance.
Swift(s) me be considered over hyped because:
1. They are not fun to drive (Read Punto, Polo 1.6, Honda Jazz etc.)
2. They look neither like a hatchback nor like a sedan
3. Lacks exclusivity
4. waiting period is due to trouble at the plant. Not necessarily due to demand
5. Herd mentality
6. Resale value
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 21:56   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
under : Nano.
+1. This is one car that is surely under-rated. Yes there were the occasional random fire accidents but otherwise speaking this is a great car at its price point. It looks good, has a lot of space inside and I believe is suitable for a lot of people driving in the city.

Some other under-rated cars are:
1. The Punto.
2. The Manza: I say so because it sells so less compared to the Dzire even though its a much better car IMHO.
3. Skoda Fabia
4. Chevrolet Captiva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
My replies in BOLD.
I am talking purely out of ignorance.
Swift(s) me be considered over hyped because:
1. They are not fun to drive (Read Punto, Polo 1.6, Honda Jazz etc.)
What I meant is that its got the perfect blend of it all. It may not be the best handler but its not the worst either. And thats the reason it appeals to most buyers since it ticks maximum boxes. For instance Punto might lose on the brand factor, Polo may be expensive to maintain and has poor rear seats and poor FE, Jazz was ridiculously priced until very recently.
2. They look neither like a hatchback nor like a sedan
But they do serve the purpose right? Thats the reason most people overlook the looks. Also the other entry level sedans are no beauty pageant winners either.
3. Lacks exclusivity
4. waiting period is due to trouble at the plant. Not necessarily due to demand
Thats was only recently. Even before that they always commanded a waiting period which surely was due to the demand.
5. Herd mentality
Well to be honest I think the herd mentality phrase is a little under-rated too. So many cars on the road just go on to show how good it is. I always would give maximum weightage to a recommendation coming from an owner than some random review. Assuming that the herd is wrong is not that easy.
6. Resale value
Thats again because its a good reliable long term workhorse right?

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th January 2012 at 22:19.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 15:57   #700
Senior - BHPian

IMO the most under-rated cars on this side of 15L are:
1. Skoda Fabia
2. Fiat Punto
3. Fiat Linea
4. Suzuki Ritz (k-series)
5. Optra Magnum
6. Mitsubhishi Cedia

and on that side of 15L:
1. Volvo S60
2. VW Passat HL

As far as over-rated cars are concerned I just think there is 1 car on this side of 10L and that has to be the Honda Jazz. People went ga-ga over an engine which you need to rev the nuts out in order to get anywhere, the magic seats which they may use probably once in their entire life time and Honda worsened the whole image by chopping off its price, making the earlier Jazz model owners feeling . I agree the quality and visibility and space is nice no doubt but common even the Indica Vista offers everything a Jazz does for a cheaper price and more. No offence to Jazz lovers but I was never impressed with the Jazz.

Last edited by S2!!! : 26th January 2012 at 15:59.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 22:10   #701
BHPian

Ritz is under rated - it offers the same features as its sibling, the Swift, but at a lower price. However, the shape turns many people away.

Tata Grande is under rated - people prefer the Innova because of the Toyota badge but the Grande offers more value for money. I could be wrong on this one as I haven't owned a Tata yet.

The new Maruti DZire (CS) is over rated - the boot space is less than on the current DZire but Maruti hopes to sell it at the same price? I would not switch from a Maruti Esteem to a Maruti DZire if the boot space is going to be smaller - demand works the other way with customers demanding more for their money, not less.

The Tata Nano is under rated because it makes perfect sense on paper for driving in the city. Folks who drove a Reva can think about a Nano because it is comparable but less 'green'.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:46   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again no offense meant, but this is a general perception of people. And I am sure that everyone knows an owner, used, driven, or at least owned a scorpio in this forum can agree to these comments.
Well, having owned 4 generations of Scorpios (non CRDe, CRDe, M2Di & mHawk), I dont really agree to that. But anyways, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
IMO the most under-rated cars on this side of 15L are:

2. Fiat Punto
And I think I know why you feel so!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 15:56   #703
BHPian

Under Rated - Chevy Optra Magnum Diesel. A great driver's car and the best option out there in that segment.

Over Rated - Definitely the XUV 5OO.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 17:53   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
I might have posted on this thread before but right now in my opinion the most overrated car in India is undoubtedly - Ford Figo. The entire country went crazy over this car. It was like god sent for them. As if no manufacturer had ever produced a car that handles any better or provides awesome features liek the Figo. Common guys, it's just another Ford. It was only after the first batch of problems and niggles started cropping up that people woke up to this pandora.
Having seen and driven Figo for test I agree.

The interior quality, particularly handles, switches, etc., is similar to M800. Plastic quality is bad. Handling for that size of car is not up to mark.
I believe most public rates the car by the FE it gives.
Safety, Build quality, handling, reliability and longevity are non existing issues. 'Kitna Deti Hay?' is the criteria.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 18:06   #705
BHPian

I use an 800 & a Figo. Figo's interior quality, plastics, handles, switches are 100 times better than an 800, although both are from different price bracket & generations.

Handling is best in its class (maybe after tyre upgrade) compared to Swift/Aveo (only cars in same segment which i have driven extesively)

Agreed, Ford cars has their share of problems & issues but on a public forum like this please avoid statements which may provide wrong info.
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote