Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th February 2005, 17:44   #61
BHPian

I think the Fiat NE 117 is probably the most underrated car in India. The NE 117 suffered because of Fiats poor reputation for A.S.S. The car in itself was very steady, could handle whatever roads you throw at it. Had a decent fuel efficiency, and comfy seats and ride as well..

Most overrated car, has to be Hyundai Elantra. It looks like another Accent except for the twin head lights. Also shares many of its parts with the Accent.
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2005, 19:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
I think the Fiat NE 117 is probably the most underrated car in India. The NE 117 suffered because of Fiats poor reputation for A.S.S. The car in itself was very steady, could handle whatever roads you throw at it. Had a decent fuel efficiency, and comfy seats and ride as well..

Most overrated car, has to be Hyundai Elantra. It looks like another Accent except for the twin head lights. Also shares many of its parts with the Accent.
NE 117 or is it NE118????
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 22:00   #63
BHPian

Overrated-Baleno,Alto,Versa,Scorpio,Mitsubishi Pajero (2.8),Lancer,Corolla,Grand Vitara
Underrated-Elantra CRDi,Optra 1.8,Forrester,New Accord,New Honda City,Marina
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 22:05   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
Overrated-Baleno,Alto,Versa,Scorpio,Mitsubishi Pajero (2.8),Lancer,Corolla,Grand Vitara
Underrated-Elantra CRDi,Optra 1.8,Forrester,New Accord,New Honda City,Marina
but ill add the zen in the overated and petra in the underrated.
maybach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2005, 22:58   #65
BHPian

i think u got ur list mixed up.
baleno-overated???? &
NHC and the accord underrated????

the corolla is no doupt the most over rated car in india-
ABROAD:its a no nonsense basic entry level car which people have got sick of seeing.
IN INDIA:a premium best selling 'no discounts offered' luxury car.
(and sadly its the same car thats sold here and abroad)

the same story with the qualis-a car from the jurassic era(is so dam ugly that parents would think twice before showing it to their kids) is ,surprise surprise,a best seller in india
the accent is the 'bbc top gear worst car of 2004' and is again, selling well

underrated:the baleno because of its performance,space,FE,price,comfort,ac &
Elantra a highly capable & huge value-for-money car which just has'nt taken off
palio 1.6-cos it does not have what people who buy hatchbacks want-price&FE
kallil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 00:21   #66
BHPian

the most overrated car - the u.a.e taxi - the corolla, the new santro zing - 10000 pieces sold in dec04, u're kidding me man!

the most underrated car - petra 1.6, with the palio 1.2 a close second - at least the palio has sold somewhat
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 00:31   #67
BHPian

overrated : Accent GLS (my zen gives me better comfort)
underrated : Baleno (no words, i sat in one very recently & was wondering whether it was really a maruti?, amazing FE for the segment)
gamerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 00:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

baleno? FE? yeah it has great fe...13 in city with ac...but man, push it and you'll see why it's really underrated!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 11:06   #69
BHPian

The Baleno is simply under-rated because it is a Suzuki product, and here, they qualify for entr level cars, apart form the Baleno, so they arent taken seriously. That is, by people who don't know what, for example, the Esteem is capable of. The Baleno has a brilliant Suzuki engine, and is extremely competitive, almost as good as the OHC, atleast in terms of engine, and in space.

Another under-rated car has got to be th Optra. Though I don't much like its styling (one of the rare incidents of Pininfarina having not got it perfectly right - tail and headlamps could have been way better) it is a superb performer. And its interior build and quality is incomparable for a car that is being sold in that category. It doesn't have FE going for it, but a great performer, esp. the 1.8. The lotus suspention is magnificent, and takes bumps and uneven surfaces like it was gliding over a cushion of air.
The OHC(2nd gen) is not by any means over-rated. It always performs brillitantly - mine-s done 75000 Kms, had 2 major accidents, and the engine is still fantastic. The suspension is great, though a little bumpy at the rear, but heck who wants to sit there??!! The build quality is superb - nothing squeaks, shakes, rattles, and will take quite a beating without saying a thing.
The Forester is brilliant, as has been throughly explained byv1p3r.
I think that thee Elantra is a nice car, but it just hasn't taken off here.

The NHC, however, loks terrible, and doesn't drive that great either. For sports buffs, it is definitely off the "desired" list, because it performs like a City car, not a sport car,, like the OHC.
The accent is just plain Bad. There's not one thing going in its favour. No more shall be said bout it.
I don't know how the corolla is so succesful here though. Its an entry level ar abroad, and it doesn't even lok that good - the European one looks better.
Neither is the Grand Vitara any good. It doesn't have a great engine, and the insides are strictly OK. Not the best overall feeeling you can get. A VERY mediocre car.

What I wat is a Mahindra Classic, or something along those lines. If one tweaks the suspension and tunes the engine, it'll be a pretty decent performer.
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 17:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
I don't know how the corolla is so succesful here though. Its an entry level ar abroad, and it doesn't even lok that good - the European one looks better.

Finally. That is exactly my opinion on, IMHO, a very over hyped car.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 22:08   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
Another under-rated car has got to be th Optra. Though I don't much like its styling (one of the rare incidents of Pininfarina having not got it perfectly right - tail and headlamps could have been way better)
But you know more than half of the Optra buyers have bought their cars because of the design???
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 22:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
baleno? FE? yeah it has great fe...13 in city with ac...but man, push it and you'll see why it's really underrated!
can u clarifty on 'push it and you'll see why it's really underrated!'
kallil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 23:37   #73
BANNED

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallil
can u clarifty on 'push it and you'll see why it's really underrated!'
He means to say push it and the poor 165 tyres will show(Esteem being a smaller car then the baleno comes with 175s where as a Baleno comes with 165 )

There were be a major drop in FE by pushing the car.
maybach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 01:34   #74
BHPian

Well, most cars have been spoken about.

One car that I think has not been mentioned and is under-rated is the Opel CORSA.
Quite a few spoke about the vectra but wonder how they forgot its poorer cousin, the corsa.
The 1.6 particularly, is quite powerful, a joy to drive & not very expensive too.
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 02:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

thats NOT what i mean! push the baleno, and it will kick some serious a$$! try a 0-100 of slightly over 10, and a qtr mile of slightly over 18, all this in a just-run-in car. it handles beautifully, now that i've put 185 width tyres on it. and the suspension is simply brilliant. don't have to slow down from 100kmh for small bumps in the road or bad surfaces, just push straight through. the mileage, if you drive with the rev limiter as your best friend, is 9kmpl, and 13 (with ac) in city otherwise. the ikon 1.6 anyway gives only 9, so the FE is pretty darn good!

baleno vs OHC, anyone?

viper

ps. the esteem now comes with 155 tyres.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote