Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th April 2012, 18:04   #736
BHPian

Default Re: The most over & under rated car in India

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2012 at 15:43.
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st May 2012, 12:22   #737
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : We do NOT entertain fanboy / biased posts. Please leave your bias off the forum, and don't incite brand wars on Team-BHP.

For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is absolutely imperative to share information here with a neutral attitude.

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2012 at 15:42.
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st May 2012, 12:31   #738
BHPian

THe Swift in its first avatar was a mindboggling package, and deserved the rave reviews and reception it received.
However, i fell that the new Swift was overhyped, partly by the Maruti campagin and also by the media and observers. The new Swift is is definitely over rated, as besides interiors (which were due for an upgrade anyway given other companies were giving much better interiors and features than maruti) there is very little that the new package offers that would make much of a a difference for city drivers.
As far the looks department is concerned, the new one looks like the old Swift in one of the trick mirror stations in a fair!!
amitayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:37   #739
BHPian

I would think that Swift being overrated is more about the people's perception of the brand, features, service and resale (rather than the capabilities of the car), which contributes to huge difference in sales numbers with respect to its nearest competitors.
altius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:39   #740
BHPian

Under Rated- Fiat Palio, Maruti Baleno
Over Rated- Maruti Zen, Mahindra Scorpio
kingofkings is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 14:51   #741
Mik
BHPian

My Bro-in-law is looking out for a diesel hatch, so over the last few weeks we test drove a lot of them.
Cars tested were the figo, micra, ritz, swift, punto and the beat.

Of these, i felt that a delightful but very underrated car is the Micra Diesel. A hoot to drive with hardly any turbolag and a good ride and handling package. The test car had done 20k km but there was not a single rattle in it.

The most over-rated diesel hatch - Well it was the Swift - partly because of its crazy pricing. The VDI is bare bones for the price and the ZDI is sedan territory pricing.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:02   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Of these, i felt that a delightful but very underrated car is the Micra Diesel. A hoot to drive with hardly any turbolag and a good ride and handling package. The test car had done 20k km but there was not a single rattle in it.
Well, the Micra is a good overall package. But it's highway manners and brakes are worrisome. It's a good city car with almost zero turbolag and great FE.

Quote:
The most over-rated diesel hatch - Well it was the Swift - partly because of its crazy pricing. The VDI is bare bones for the price and the ZDI is sedan territory pricing.
I do not see anything wrong with the pricing of the Swift. It is a product in great demand, and no manufacturer would provide discounts/benefits on a hot seller.

Get this, Swift ZDi in Chennai costed 7.8 L, while the 3-pot Polo highline Diesel costed 8.4L, all prices OTR Chennai. (Pre-budget) Even the Punto costs more or less the same, just that it gets more of discounts and freebies.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:04   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
Zen Over rated, I disagree. It was one of the best cars to drive in its time. Not only was it an enthusiasts delight, but also good in sales.

Last edited by nurni76 : 1st May 2012 at 15:06.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:22   #744
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I do not see anything wrong with the pricing of the Swift. It is a product in great demand, and no manufacturer would provide discounts/benefits on a hot seller.

Get this, Swift ZDi in Chennai costed 7.8 L, while the 3-pot Polo highline Diesel costed 8.4L, all prices OTR Chennai. (Pre-budget) Even the Punto costs more or less the same, just that it gets more of discounts and freebies.
I wouldn't be aware of the Chennai pricing but this is what we were getting in a direct comparison with the VDI in Gurgaon. The ZDI is out of budget.

All these prices are pre-negotiation -- standard quotes we got.

Punto 1.3 Dynamic (features > Swift VDI + ICE) == 6.34 approx
Micra XV (All regular goodies apart from the ABS- a big miss) == 6.35
Figo ZXI (- ABS and airbags) == 6.03
Beat D LT (O)- all the bells and whistles == 6.2 (might be off by a few thousand)
Beat D LT - 5.9 (again -- memory fails me a bit)
Ritz VDI with ABS -- 6.3 onroad (VFM for sure - with ICE if i remember correctly)

In Contrast, the Swift VDI was 6.6 approx on road minus the ICE. So approximately 6.8 on-road to get things rolling. This is way too much of a premium to pay for A.S.S and resale.

When it comes to driveability in the city Swift is no great shakes over a Figo or a Micra. Even the Beat is competent if you can live with the gruff noise. The leg and boot space is at a premium. Ofcourse there is a fun to drive factor post 2k rpm.

We didnt touch a Volkswagen(3pot engine - 4pot pricing) or a Skoda(with a barge pole for obvious reasons)
Anyway, i think i am digressing from the intent of this thread now. Over n out.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 15:28   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Micra isn't underrated. Thanks to the thin service network the success is limited. People don't even know this car at places ! Once the Nissan network grows this car will gain momentum in the market.

For Swift : great engine options ,good dynamics,stylish looks and interiors,reasonably comfortable seats, best overall A.S.S., resale value and decent equipment. It has got valid reason to succeed. Price is slightly on the higher side for sure though but NOT overpriced.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 17:44   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
I drive a Zen type 2 mpfi . I have to tell you, Nothing comes remotely close[ at the price point ] to the driving pleasure a well maintained Zen can offer. The engine revs like mad, is bullet proof, cheap to maintain, good fuel efficiency and handles like a go-cart provided you have upgraded the tires like i have.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:21   #747
BHPian

I find the RITZ to be under rated. Even when i was planning to buy a RITZ, everyone suggested shifting to Swift, dunno why!!
Besides the quirky rear (which b.t.w is no more quirky given the rear designs of say a BEAT) there is very little argument about the demerits of RITZ. All discussions finally end up with "but if it is such a good car, why does it not sell that much?"
That, b.t.w. is a question I myself have been wondering!!
amitayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:22   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I find the RITZ to be under rated. Even when i was planning to buy a RITZ, everyone suggested shifting to Swift, dunno why!!
Besides the quirky rear (which b.t.w is no more quirky given the rear designs of say a BEAT) there is very little argument about the demerits of RITZ. All discussions finally end up with "but if it is such a good car, why does it not sell that much?"
That, b.t.w. is a question I myself have been wondering!!
Ritz doesn't sell well enough but sells well though. If you see the numbers you will come to know. It sells a decent round numbers of 6000 always which is pretty good for its class.
falcon009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 16:14   #749
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise English for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2012 at 09:06. Reason: See note.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th May 2012, 08:04   #750
BHPian

I am sorry to intervene but

1. Have you driven Punto for a reasonable amount of time and kilometers to check its drivabiliity.
2. Please look at the prices quoted in one of the post above it is at par and even lesser than some VFM products discussed.
3. Do you have a personal experience first hand with Tata service ? Secondly do you have a personal experience with FIAT service post break-up. I have a Linea, Spark and had a Santro. I would rate Tata and Chevy service at par and Hyundai service as pathetic.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2012 at 14:16. Reason: Quoted post deleted
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote