Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th March 2005, 16:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Have we got it wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
By overrated, I mean for some reason, the magazines just seem to love it or maybe the public has just taken to it for a reason we cannot comprehend.
Rtech
I've been reading this post for a while now and I have this feeling that the replies havent kept to the original brief set by Rtech.

Most of the cars that have been quoted in replies as under-rated (esp the Palio) are those that are magazine favourites. Conversely, most of those that are shown as over-rated are the perpetual doormats of the said magazines.

These magazines have a tendency to go overboard with cars that they feel are performance oriented, and some of them root for cars from a specific manufacturer(s) in a manner that clearly shows that there is more to it than meets the eye.

If you notice, the cars that have done well in the market arent those that can do the 0-60 in 5 secs or the 0-100 in less than 10. A person shelling out a few lakhs to actually buy a car does not want to straighten curves at 100 kmph or chip away a couple of seconds from the 1-100 time of another car. To most people, a car should be a combination of various factors and in India these factors are Fuel Efficiency, Space, Comfort, Service Cost and Access, Looks and then some performance (just more than adequate - not necessarily road ripping) - IN THAT ORDER. I am sure this sounds unpalatable to many who think that cars are all about looks and Traffic Light GPs and stuff like that - it is on account of such factors that car magazines inevitably root for the Honda City (not any more, thankfully), the Palio, the Scorpio and the Mondeo.

However, what the person shelling out his own moolah (as opposed to magazine test drivers who are busy trashing cars loaned by the auto cos) wants are the 800s, the Altos, the Indicas, the Santro, the Indigo, the Qualis and till recently the Accent.

The common factor amongst these cars is that they give the buyer a lot of everything, even if they dont stand out in any one category. The classic case study is the Accent, which as a bit of everything in it (which is probably why it is successful). I also own a Mondeo and IMHO that while it holds the road like a leech at speeds upto 200 kmph the suspension which facilitates those speeds is a pain on our roads - will I spend more time negotiating uneven roads or will I spend more time doing 120+? Despite the fact that I enjoy the Mondeo's high-speed dynamics once in a while, I would still prefer the slightly cushioned ride that the Accent gives me on our roads.

My list of over-rated and under-rated cars is enclosed, and the list sticks to the brief - highly rated by mags, but the public have not always agreed:

1. The Scorpio (looks copied from the Koreans - can you beat THAT?, questionable safety from poor brakes and bad dynamics, cramped cabin for everyone except the two upfront thanks to the Bolero platform which is the Armada platform which is a stretched MM540 platform which is derived from a WW2 platform - hell WHAT is NEW in this vehicle?, BAD build quality since everything rattles on a NEW car).

2. Palio/Siena/Petra - Okay, the 1.6 has performance, but how many 1.6s are actually bought by the public? I test drove a Petra diesel for a friend of mine recently and didnt find the 1.9 diesel any quicker than an Indigo. Its SLIGHTLY more refined than the latter, but at what cost? Lets not talk about the dealership and the aftersales - enough has been said about it.

3. Ford Mondeo - Somehow this car has a soft corner in motor journos minds and I cant figure out why, except for the high speed dynamics which are rarely used. The Camry reaches speeds of 180+ in a much less hurried fashion and you hardly feel the speeds in that car. There are also quality issues on this car that you wont find on the Jap vehicles. The redeeming bits are the understated looks and the quality of the interiors.

4. Maruti Zen - there are zippier cars around if you want to race. The original looked a lot better than its horribly restyled 'new' versions. Logically this car should've replaced the 800, but then Maruti is becoming as good at HM at reselling old cars as new.

5. Ford Fusion - At that price, it is over-rated no matter what. Its not a Rolls to command that kind of premium, for god sake.

Under-rated cars:

1. Tata Indica - Much maligned by the mags, but just took the #2 slot last month ahead of the M800. It has its weaknesses, but it does what it promises to do. This car has been taken to the cleaners by the writers, with the editor of one mag even saying that they havent managed to test the V2 version yet (they've tested ALL the various variants of the Palio/Siena/Petra, though!) in reply to a 'which car' question. I'll bet on it getting the Indigo's TurboDiesel when that car goes the Common Rial way, and then there'll be no stopping this one.

2. Tata Indigo - Most mags prefer to pretend that this car doesnt exist, and so do most 'petrolheads'. Fact of the matter is that this car has been the #1 in its segment EVER SINCE ITS LAUNCH (excepting the first 1/2 month). Enough said.

3. Hyundai Elantra - Granted it looks bad, but it does pack a decent punch (the diesel packs a wallop of torque) and is quite a good package overall. The Koreans have been berated quite unnecessarily despite making fairly good cars, and these cars do come LOADED with everything you can think of. Pity about the Kumho rubber, though.

4. Chevy Forester - Darn, why didnt this vehicle do well back home? There's very little to fault - perhaps the pricing wasnt right?

Now I'll sit back and wait for the S**T to hit te fan.

Cheers

Steer
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2005, 22:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

@ steeroid,

if you were to consider, according to the parameters listed, the OHC 1.3 would come out on top over the Accent on every aspect, except maybe the (rear seat) comfort. Still, people bought more Accents, or so it seems.

The Baleno is a car that disproves your thoery. It IS the darling of many a journalist and TBHPian. It IS fuel efficient, easy to maintain, comfortable etc etc. It ALSO handles pretty sharply, goes like a Jap car should, and is almost as cheap as an Accent. Still, the Accent sells better.

I do agree with a lot of your points, and wholeheartedly so with your underrated cars list.

Cheers

Viper
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 01:18   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
most overrated:zen di(in south),san storm, tavera,corolla
corolla? i thought that was a wonderful car??!! minus the looks.

peace.
amit_basak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 11:14   #94
BHPian

According to me the most underrated car is DAEWOO NEXIA DELUXE. No car in its category offers Beige Interiors which are really Kool. It has the widest and the best set of shoes. Bridgestone 185/60/r14 (low profile tyres). Lovely engine 92BHP which is extremely driveable and offers decent mileage. The seats are extremely comfortable and has a massive boot. It has very good brakes and perfect ground clearance. Only a few cars in india have a 3 stage bumpers. Car Manufacturers are now offering features which was present in the nexia 5 years back. It has every thing what a auto enthusiast would expect in a car. The only thing i hold against is Daewoo is no more. So it is the most Under rated car.

[color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman][/font][/size][/color]
power_slave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 11:23   #95
Senior - BHPian

The corolla is a wonderful car.
Maybe you wished to say elantra?
I loved the Nexia when it came out in 1999.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 12:23   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
2. Palio/Siena/Petra - Okay, the 1.6 has performance, but how many 1.6s are actually bought by the public? I test drove a Petra diesel for a friend of mine recently and didnt find the 1.9 diesel any quicker than an Indigo. Its SLIGHTLY more refined than the latter, but at what cost? Lets not talk about the dealership and the aftersales - enough has been said about it.
The Petra Diesel is what you are talking about I guess. If so I agree. There is no way the other Fiat cars are over-rated. And yes, you are right about the after sales and dealer support. The rest of the cars from the Fiat stable I think deserved better.

You also seem to have missed on the Baleno in your under-rated list.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2005, 21:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

Dude,
you have to realise that the Petra D is more comfortable, safer, better built, better looking then the indigo.
Old 13th April 2005, 21:56   #98
BHPian

most underrated car- skoda superb
mos overrated- merc c class
kavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 00:46   #99
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Dude,
you have to realise that the Petra D is more comfortable, safer, better built, better looking then the indigo.
Did you ever sit in an Indigo ? The rear seat of Indigo is so BLOODY comfortable! I've sat in the Petra as well but its not as good as the Indigo. As far as comfort is concerned, Indigo is the king.

Off topic but of late I've been sitting in the Palio S10 & its ride is just Bulls**t. All the talks of great ride & everything is just crap. The car that I sat in has just done 9k kms & its a fellow BHPian's car. My Honda rides much better than that. I'd my hopes set very high before sitting in it but they just nosedived later. Not surprising that on the 1.2 versions, it rides good because of the 80 profile tyre!
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 03:21   #100
BHPian

Cool The good and the bad

Segment A
M800 and Alto - under-rated/overrated...i think both get the attention they deserve...no more no less

Segment B
Over-rated
========
Maruti Zen - definitely. I love this car for the performance.period. everything else stinks. Why...the Alto Vxi was a superb car with a much better build quality and VFM but it beats me why no one went for it? The refinement was terrific too.

Under-rated
=========
Palio - this car is a real good car. I guess what killed it was Fiat's dealerships. But a super car - really solid- i drove one and was amazed at the build. It felt like a tank. I think a FE of 12/13 (Palio NV) for such a solid car is great

Segment C
Over-rated
========
Accent - someone just said it. It does a little of everything but nothing properly. Handling and build quality - I think the Ikon has a measure of it here. With the Accent CRDi Hyundai managed to spoil a gem of an engine with an indifferent gear ****. Someone pls tell those guys to plonk the Getz' stick into the Accent. Yep has a slight advantage in space but I think the Indigo does a better job too.

Under rated
=========
Baleno - Two yrs ago and for a price of around 7-8 lacs i would say that the Baleno was definitely over rated. But now it's a steal at a price of 5.6 lacs for the base version. I think except for the plushness in the cabin, build quality(slightly) and design(considerably) it measures up to the Accent in all the other departments and is miles ahead in peformance and handling.

Above C (Not much driving exp. in this segment)
Under-rated
=========
Forester - look behind those bland(I love it) looks, it is a very capable car.

Over-rated
========
Merc C class - what you get for 30 lacs is basically the 3 pointed star nothing much more. The Superb is is much more capable car and much more VFM.

-Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 03:23   #101

Cool

Most Underrated Car : Baleno
Most Overrated Car: Zen
rvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Did you ever sit in an Indigo ? The rear seat of Indigo is so BLOODY comfortable! I've sat in the Petra as well but its not as good as the Indigo. As far as comfort is concerned, Indigo is the king.
I have used both Indigo and Petra in city and on highways. (Petrol only). Both are spacious and comfortable. But Indigo has disconcertingly high body roll. Poor handler. One loses steering feel after 130. (becomes very light to scare you). Less said is better about gear shift. Otherwise, Indigo is good car. Large boot/inner space/good ride(and economy on diesel). Unfortuntately, my 2 year old kid initially liked Indigo more than Petra
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:55   #103
Senior - BHPian

Dude,
Sit in a Petra.
The palio 1.6 was tuned more for handling then comfort .
I have sat in an Indigo and i prefer the Petra over it.
I have sat in both.
Diesel siena and diesel Indigo and the siena is much better but then that is a personal choice.
Old 21st April 2005, 16:03   #104
Senior - BHPian

according to me

most over rated cars:
Lancer : common world is driving Evo 8 & they expect us to be happy with that old junk?
Corolla : way too bigger by its engine size, by some angles looks even bigger than Camrey
Hyundai (sonata/xing/accent) : south Korean, need I say more Getz is good but too expensive for its class
Ford Ikon : Really old car on its last life support
Safari : Driven once will never drive again, Tata's just can not make nice interiors
Old Honda City : was a nice car but going by name it was really a joke, how can they sell highway suited car named as city (which is BTW old Civic, a google search will give you results)

Most under rated cars
Fiat Palio : everyone has already said
Opel Astra : now why GM discountinued this car?
Opel Corsa Sail : really small big car
Honda CRV & Chevorlet Forester: I guess India is not yet ready for Luxury SUV
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 18:43   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Opel Astra : now why GM discountinued this car?
Pathetic Car(atleast the version which was in India) totally outdated and highly overpriced trying to compete with the likes of Honda(City) and Mitsubishi(Lancer) at that time when these cars were driving people insane speciallt the Vtec and the Lancer Sfxi in yellow and Red.. drool......
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote