Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th September 2004, 14:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Unhappy The most over & under rated car in India

I came across this while reading a mag one day and that got me thinking.

What car do you think is really overrated in the Indian Market?

By overrated, I mean for some reason, the magazines just seem to love it or maybe the public has just taken to it for a reason we cannot comprehend.

Think about it, and give a reason why you think that particular car is overrated?

Conversely, what car do you feel is really underrated in India. Again, the reasons behind your thinking!

Rtech

Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 14:36   #2
BHPian

Overrated : OPTRA (Its a recycled car & what is the value for money that you get?)
Underrated: Palio (terrific car but company profile is sad)
-Chaxy
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 14:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

For me, the most underrated car is the Fiat Palio. There is no better example of a fantastic car which combines everything - space inside, small outside, good engine, great ride and solid build - yet it is and always has been handicapped by the reputation of its maker. it introduced safety features such as airbags and ABS which was unheard of in this segment. Yes, it drinks a bit more fuel than its competition, but what people don't realise is that it is a bigger, heavier and more powerful car! India being India, once word leaked out that its a guzzler, the car was doomed!

As far as the most overrated car, well, that would have to be the Maruti Zen. I just do not see what the public fascination is with this car. Its the only car in the world which is more expensive and inferior to its successor, yet continues to sell and be marketed in aa segment higher than its newer model, the Alto!! When the Zen came into the market, it was a great car, but now it is simply too small, too tinny and looks wierd! This is another aspect of the Indian market I just do not get. For me, the Zen is the most overrated car in India...followed very closely by the Esteem! No surprises that they are both Maruti's.

Rt
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 16:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the most underrated car is the Baleno and the Fiat Palio. Both are damn good cars and offer so much, yet....
Overrated....well i feel that the Scorpio to an extent is overrated. It isn't that good a handler.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 16:44   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]For me, the most underrated car is the Fiat Palio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]As far as the most overrated car, well, that would have to be the Maruti Zen.
Precisely.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 16:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]As far as the most overrated car, well, that would have to be the Maruti Zen
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
As far as the most overrated car, well, that would have to be the Maruti Zen.

Precisely.
Umm, dad... umm... can we go to the dealer back please... with cheque book in hand

The most underrated cars in India: Fiat Palio, Maruti baleno, Fiat Siena 1.6.

Most overrated: Maruti Esteem, now also Maruti Zen (thanx guys ), Mahindra Scorpio, Hyundai Accent.
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

most underated cars:baleno,palio,vectra,superb,versa

most overrated:zen di(in south),san storm, tavera,corolla
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 22:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Most underrated: Opel Vectra - Very good allrounder and no one even talks about it.

Most overrated: Mahindra Scorpio - Agreed it's goodlooking, but, its handling and braking are greatly overlooked.

Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2004, 23:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

underated - baleno and the palio runs it a close second. but i seriously think that these 2 cars deserve much more "respect" from the indian car buying junta.

overrated - the scorpio , lancer (all show , no go) , zen , optra , sonata ( this is a bad car sold as a world class luxury car )

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 00:52   #10
BHPian

Over-rated - Mercedes Benz E240, Honda Accord V6
Under-rated - Don't know, maybe Palio?
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 01:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

guys ,
the vectra,forester,mondeo,baleno,palio and the petra are the most under rated cars .
the most over rated cars are almost all the new design cars from maruti(the new zen and the new esteem).
i think maruti shud have discontinued the new zen and then they will have the wagon r and the alto.
sadly ,the shape of the new zen is pathetic and everything else also except the engine.only if maruti launches a 1.3l zen on the lines of the palio 1.6 .

speedsatya

speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 02:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Most Underrated: Opel Vectra. Fantastic car, maximum street cred, has everything going for it, not even the mags talk about it. Given the money, i would still go in for one of these.
Palio and Baleno too, but they get their fair share of respect from the mags for performance aspects, if not the customers.

Most Overrated: Definitely the Mahindra Scorpio. Who needs a hearse, when you can have a Scorpio, now with Voice Assist, which will ease you on your abode to heaven.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 02:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Aditya @ Sep. 07 2004,21:16)]Opel Vectra - Very good allrounder and no one even talks about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Opel Vectra. Fantastic car, maximum street cred, has everything going for it,
Have you guys ever driven / driven in one?
I agree its a beautiful car...nice styling and awesome interiors and gadgets....
....however the suspension is just wayyy to soft and wishy washy and "rolley" for even slightly spirited driving that involves turning the wheel. That itself was enough to unimpress me back to indifference.

cya
R

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 10:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Overrated - Zen, NHC (to drive), Lancer, Merc ML class(outdated)
Under-rated - Mondeo (probably one of the best drivers cars available over here), Forester (ditto), Palio (ditto again - shame about brakes)

Looks like India loves barges
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 12:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

Overrated: Zen, Esteem, Qualis (its just a 15 yr old box with good engine), (Honda Vtec he he just kidding) lol

Underrated: Baleno, Forester, Mondeo, Palio 1.6 hey i forgot the Matiz

Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote