Honda Accord VTi-L 252 45.65%
Skoda Octavia RS 300 54.35%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2007, 15:44   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
Now though it was touted as a replacement to octavia as far back as 2004-05 it was released as a different model and at a premium over octavias...am i right here.

They are testing the market to see if both can co-exist and have been getting away so far,
Yes & No. Internationally this is the replacement for the old Octavia & the same should have been done here (BTW the old Octavia has been discontinued abroad). The Laura L&K (the one being sold here with all the bells & whistles) should have been priced a little above the Octavia L&K & cheaper versions replacing the rest. But they make a cool 3-4lakhs above what they would usually make by calling it the Laura & selling it at 19 lakhs. I usually have two words for people looking at Laura's "Honda Accord" which now with the added equipment is going to give the car a tough fight.

Quote:
where they should have released laura as an octavia at maybe a few rupees here and there over Octavia 1.9tdi,they have picked the most expensive Octavia and priced it way above even that!!!
Exactly my point & my grouse with Skoda!

Quote:
They have implemented their theory for Indian market,Its us who should give it a fitting reply....is what i agree with you iRaghava.

P.s:i have already protested by buying a Vrs.
Nice one! I'm also protesting by not buying any of them!!
Old 13th January 2007, 15:48   #257
BHPian

Horrible!!worst they have scratched the skoda emblem on thier pursuit in centering the steering wheel and have no answers to most of the queries in solving problems not analysed by the diognastic equipment!

The worst part is everything has a special tool hence cannot be repaired elsewhere,definatly need a alternative service point.

Good news is Bosch has come out with K-70 diognastic equipment which can handle Skoda's which should a relief,

err...the wheel centering issue was not solved despite the scratch.

Last edited by Desert fox : 13th January 2007 at 15:56.
Old 13th January 2007, 19:19   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Nice one! I'm also protesting by not buying any of them!!
NICER one! Thats why you are a Distinguished BHP-ian and iam not!!!!!

By the way do you have any idea when (or if) Skoda is releasing a petrol variant of Laura in india?
Old 13th January 2007, 19:30   #259
BHPian

An RS in yellow for me
Old 13th January 2007, 19:42   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way do you have any idea when (or if) Skoda is releasing a petrol variant of Laura in india?
No word yet. I guess they'll not move until somebody like the Corolla/Optra threatens their diesel domain. Also Petrol sales are very low for them anyways so it won't be a priority to get a Petrol engine in.
Old 13th January 2007, 20:40   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
err...the wheel centering issue was not solved despite the scratch.
Did you try fixing it from the other end ? ie wheel alignment...

cya
R
Old 14th January 2007, 01:22   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Did you try fixing it from the other end ? ie wheel alignment...
R
No actually the steering wheel even when the wheels are straight was a good quarter-lock towards right,

After miaming the Skoda emblem covering the steering nut the steering is still off-center!Nothing to do with alignment or balancing,

Pathetic right...to top it of it requires a special tool!Not accessible outside,and they kept it for 3 hours!!!

Right now iam living with the problem not wanting to risk any more damages,the w.manager has promised to rectify it in the next service.

What is the typical mileage to expect?iam getting between 7.5 to 8 Kmpl.
Old 14th January 2007, 09:41   #263
Team-BHP Support

Desert fox, I'm assung you are going to Tafe access on St. marks road. It also seems that you are disappointed with their service.
What other ploblems have you faced so far.
Have you driven the Laura. they still havent given me a laura for test drives after booking an appointment 3 times. When I reach the showroom i am informed the test drive car isn't available.
I have decided not to buy a skoda product and have convinced several other friends not to.
Old 14th January 2007, 13:30   #264
BHPian

Quote:
What is the typical mileage to expect?iam getting between 7.5 to 8 Kmpl.
I get about 9kmpl on my RS. However with the recent service, it seems to have increased slightly.. What color is ur car Desset fox and how many miles till now..
Old 14th January 2007, 13:45   #265
BHPian

Yes Tafe acess it is,and you and me should be surprised if we hear anyone saying they give good service!

So i guess its normal to be...well normally speaking about ab-normal things when it comes to them!

I have grouses with parcel shelf and left-front door rattling,but it seems the former problem has been solved(India-wide)importing a Tata term of "operational" noises!! No honestly read OD long term test and other sources they have the very same...Noises.

My friends have bought laura's(including a old Vrs owner) had given me a chance to drive thier steed's have made me opine thus-

1)More rear space-a definate plus.

2)More supple ride without compromising on handling-well...you dont have to invest on Koni FSD's so definate plus.

3)Better power across the band-so feels well matched to its uber-cabable chassis.

but all above is levelled by one bottom line-VFM,which after the spurt of Koni's,PETE"s,Stanley's seems absurd over(without leaving skoda premises) an Octavia except for the leg space.

Rumours have it that there is one more Skoda dealership in offing in Bangalore and the people bidding are more reputed than Tafe acess so service will be better if this happens.

And motorhead-mine is a red one and has done 7500+kms.

Last edited by Desert fox : 14th January 2007 at 13:48.
Old 14th January 2007, 22:45   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes Tafe acess it is,and you and me should be surprised if we hear anyone saying they give good service!......................................Rumo urs have it that there is one more Skoda dealership in offing in Bangalore and the people bidding are more reputed than Tafe acess so service will be better if this happens.

And motorhead-mine is a red one and has done 7500+kms.

Old man and I were discussing what would be a logical, hypothetical next car after a Vtec.....the Vrs it was but......the TAFE service made it a no no. Competitiion is sorely needed

TAFE are too busy selling tractors. They probably won the Skoda franchise due to location of showroom which was in disuse for yonks.
Old 15th January 2007, 01:06   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Old man and I were discussing what would be a logical, hypothetical next car after a Vtec.....the Vrs it was but......the TAFE service made it a no no. Competitiion is sorely needed

TAFE are too busy selling tractors. They probably won the Skoda franchise due to location of showroom which was in disuse for yonks.

Off topic- These people(Tafe acess) were Tata's exclusive spare parts distributors till recent months,but were taken out by Tata's for various but similar reasons attached to thier Skoda dealership!

They seem to have thier administration mixed up!i once saw a Manager of Skoda team of tafe acess in a TASS! When i probed further i learnt he had come to collect the dues and take feedback of thier Tata spare's business!!!

If thier Skoda senior and asst.service manager's do thier Tata spare's business then what kind of focus and customer commitment can you expect from these people?

Iam sad you decided against the Vrs,it should have ideally been a natural successor to a enthusiast Vtec owner like you,

Even i have a Vtec and i felt a unreally smooth transition to Vrs,Far better built and very commited and very easy to drive in city and highway alike..ah...o.k the mileage could be better.

Like i said before a Top group with multiple car dealership in karnataka have thrown thier hat in the ring......And i also hear Skoda is only to happy to oblige for they are very anxious to put the premises in disuse again.

Iam a Koshy'ian too would be glad to show my car and help you take a decision either ways.

Last edited by Desert fox : 15th January 2007 at 01:08.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:12   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Iam sad you decided against the Vrs,it should have ideally been a natural successor to a enthusiast Vtec owner like you,
If there is a good dealer, would gladly reconsider, old man and I figured status quo would be best. However, would consider secondhand as resale value is questionable

Quote:
Even i have a Vtec and i felt a unreally smooth transition to Vrs,Far better built and very commited and very easy to drive in city and highway alike..ah...o.k the mileage could be better.
You still have it ? Vtec is a great drivers car - shift from commuting to Airport Road to Sarjapur shows shortcomings in terms of the noise and low speed gutlessness. Mid range acceleration is brilliant. Saying that Honda service beyond routine service ain't much to write home about

Quote:
Like i said before a Top group with multiple car dealership in karnataka have thrown thier hat in the ring......And i also hear Skoda is only to happy to oblige for they are very anxious to put the premises in disuse again.
Ah, they have smelt the coffee, would this group be Cauvery Ford/ Advaith mob ? Have they swung the deal or likely to?

Quote:
Iam a Koshy'ian too would be glad to show my car and help you take a decision either ways.
Sure - would be pleased to
Old 15th January 2007, 17:22   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If there is a good dealer, would gladly reconsider, old man and I figured status quo would be best. However, would consider secondhand as resale value is questionable

You still have it ? Vtec is a great drivers car - shift from commuting to Airport Road to Sarjapur shows shortcomings in terms of the noise and low speed gutlessness. Mid range acceleration is brilliant. Saying that Honda service beyond routine service ain't much to write home about

Ah, they have smelt the coffee, would this group be Cauvery Ford/ Advaith mob ? Have they swung the deal or likely to?

Sure - would be pleased to
I do not know how to multi-quote so i till i learn-

1)Thats a very good idea.I have seen Vrs which have run as low as 5000kms sell for as low as 10-10.5 lakhs.

2)Yes i still have it, Its metallic black with some engine,intake,head and gearbox modifications done,external-internal remains untouched..no sunfilm even,Bone stock apart from 15"alloys and Yokohama advan's,
It has run 37k and is not used much.

3)Yes and No, it is being applied by thier sister concern Lathangi motors who also run Volvo Dealership,it is run by M.P Vikram,a very hands on person.They in front on the final list and also do not forget that Bosch is also releasing thier form of skoda support through thier car care center.

Please tell me when you come there,i come there almost once in two days i will pm my number to you.

Last edited by Desert fox : 15th January 2007 at 17:24.
Old 16th January 2007, 22:43   #270
BHPian

Got To Be The R.s .........superior In Style And As Far As In Power....a True Ordinary Man's Impreza..!!!!
Closed Thread