Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Honda Accord or Skoda Octavia RS? - Its war time folks
Honda Accord VTi-L 252 45.65%
Skoda Octavia RS 300 54.35%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2007, 20:51   #271
Newbie
 
driftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i like acoord the most cause of its mixture of power and styling a great car
driftech is offline  
Old 14th June 2007, 20:00   #272
BHPian
 
baddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

any day its the octavia RS for me, got to drive one n i was amazed to find so much g forces in a car that costs 14lakhs. all mouths shut after the turbo kicks in n the world gets bizzare
baddy is offline  
Old 14th June 2007, 22:00   #273
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Accord any day, no comparison of the engine over the VW engine in the Skoda.
Gurkha is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 09:38   #274
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Accord any day, no comparison of the engine over the VW engine in the Skoda.
I am surprised you say that because the 1.8 T is the redeeming factor of the Skoda RS. Have you driven an RS? What did you not find impressive, in comparison to the Accords engine?
GTO is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 10:16   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

This is a tough one, both cars are equally good, the Accord has really good interiors, but then the RS is no less - xenons, alloys, sunroof - WOW , 150 bhp !!! I think I will go with the RS.
vkochar is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 10:28   #276
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am surprised you say that because the 1.8 T is the redeeming factor of the Skoda RS. Have you driven an RS? What did you not find impressive, in comparison to the Accords engine?
Yes I have and extensively as two of my friends and one of my relatives has this as well, first of all, its the refinement level, you can't expect a VW with a Czech badge to come close to Honda's electric motor smoothness, neither its longevity, secondly, as you can count by the number of Passats with 1.8T sold in US as compared to the Accords in both 4 and V6 flavor tells you of the fact about Accord's attributes. By the way, the VW 1.8T engine is also a known sludge monster, check out BITOG and other forums, the life expectancy of this particular engine is not good, many report early failures, lastly, the Accord V6 develops 200+ bhp whereas the Skoda RS develops 150bhp if I am not mistaken, kinda hard to compare as there is huge power discrepancy.

Here is what you do, rev both engines to redline, tell me which one is more composed.

Now let me ask you the same question, have you extensively driven a Accord, tell me what you found lacking in US's top selling car? It doesn't have Euro snob appeal for India badge for sure, but it has proved itself through the test of time and thats whats most important to me.
Gurkha is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 11:00   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@ Gurkha - Sir, I think the comparison was between the Octy 1.8T and the 2.4 Accord. You cannot compare the US and Indian market dynamics. IMHO, even the 3lV6 Honda cannot match the sheer adrenaline rush from the VW engine(the V6 Accord is an auto after all). I don't have An Octavia RS, pity! But I have the 1.8TPi in Rider guise. She can put much more faster and bigger cars to shame.
shuvd is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 12:04   #278
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Gurkha - Sir, I think the comparison was between the Octy 1.8T and the 2.4 Accord. You cannot compare the US and Indian market dynamics. IMHO, even the 3lV6 Honda cannot match the sheer adrenaline rush from the VW engine(the V6 Accord is an auto after all). I don't have An Octavia RS, pity! But I have the 1.8TPi in Rider guise. She can put much more faster and bigger cars to shame.

Kinda unfair to compare a turbo to a non turbo but even then, the 2.4L Accord engine is much more refined, I am not comparing markets, just perceptions, US is car country, people have been exposed to cars for a long time, when they select Accord, it is for a reason. The V6 in US comes with 6 speed option, even with auto, the feeling is far superior, and if you wish a more apt comparison, then the Civic Type R would be better but sadly, not available here, now that car puts V8s to shame, forget about turbo. About adrenaline rush, German engines are geared toward mid range push, thereby the rush, however at top end, most get fairly unpleasent, this is where the refined, smooth Honda tech comes in, at the higher RPMs, its typical Japanese trademark, however the V6 is quite tractable and reaching redline and staying there is no sweat for it. This is the reason I never bought a M series Mercedes gasoline engine, BMW in that way is better at top end, diesel is another story however but looks like the Accord diesel is winning accolades there as well. Depends on personal taste, I prefer a slick gearbox and keeping the revs up, if I need low end torque, I drive my diesel.

However I must point out, judgement over here is more subjective than objective which is quite natural as passions play a bigger part here in India than anything, of course, a Euro badge helps, somehow I feel there is a general apathy toward anything Oriental in my country more so than I have seen elsewhere. Even in the land of Skoda, ie Germany, Honda and Toyota have serious respect from the Germans. Indians are only now exposed to foreign cars, before that, it was the realm of few here, long term perceptions are yet to be build, given time, I am sure the Japanese will earn their due respect, not that they care, their crux is US and Europe leaving players like Ford, VW to play the field here.

Last edited by Gurkha : 15th June 2007 at 12:12.
Gurkha is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 12:45   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@ Gurkha - Sir, in India the general perception is that the Japanese can't be wrong. How else would the New (Non) Honda City be doing such huge numbers? Most of the Japanese companies have overpriced (IMHO) products and the car buying lap them up. So, don't you worry, the Japanese have this market licked.
I agree that the Honda Accord is a better overall vehicle, but the RS scores more points in the fun to drive factor. Also, the current Czech cars feel better built than the Japanese cars we get here (ducking for cover now!).
Plus, this 1.8 20 Valve Turbo engine is used in many VAG cars. TT, Golf, Cupra to name a few. So, I don't think that this engine is a push over.
Apathy for Oriental products?? Sir, I have a Hyundai Elantra CRDi and just LOVE the car!
At the end of the day, as you said its all about the passion. I'm passionate about this engine and the (stripped down) RS I have.
Cheers!
shuvd is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 13:14   #280
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ Gurkha - Sir, in India the general perception is that the Japanese can't be wrong. How else would the New (Non) Honda City be doing such huge numbers? Most of the Japanese companies have overpriced (IMHO) products and the car buying lap them up. So, don't you worry, the Japanese have this market licked.
I agree that the Honda Accord is a better overall vehicle, but the RS scores more points in the fun to drive factor. Also, the current Czech cars feel better built than the Japanese cars we get here (ducking for cover now!).
Plus, this 1.8 20 Valve Turbo engine is used in many VAG cars. TT, Golf, Cupra to name a few. So, I don't think that this engine is a push over.
Apathy for Oriental products?? Sir, I have a Hyundai Elantra CRDi and just LOVE the car!
At the end of the day, as you said its all about the passion. I'm passionate about this engine and the (stripped down) RS I have.
Cheers!
A simple test, check the US car registry records for long term ownership, apart from MB diesels, you will see many vintage Civic 4 cylinders, Subaru boxers, Toyota trucks and Corollas along with Accords and MB W123 diesels. That tells you of the pedigree of Japanese vehicles. For better build, check out Consumer Reports and see where your VW/Skoda or for that matter all the snob appeal over priced Euro brands score and I rest my case. As for value, have you seen what MB and BMW charge and offer and compare that to the Accord, I would take a Accord over a C class anyday. The 1.8L engine is reputed sludge monster, this link below is just one example of its perils, I am an ex VW Golf GTi 16v owner, it was the worse car experience in my life apart from my Trans Am V8.

1.8liter T engine Engine Shot - Sludge Issue - My VW Lemon Bulletin Board

Btw, VW is also the manufacturer of the infamous SUV called Touareg, if you see the spate of lawsuits as well as CR rating of this vehicle, you will get an idea of VW quality.
Gurkha is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 14:22   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

I feel that even the Czechs are the same. What is the Laura? Its the new Octavia. They have priced it at ridiculous levels here in India. The old Octavia is a 10 yr old model. I don't think Honda has sold anything that old in India.

Every company is out here to do business. If one feels they are ripping us, we as buyers should be able to assess the situation and look at alternatives. If the market is good, Honda will definitely exploit the situation. Thats business. Skoda is also doing the same but with a different route.
csentil is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 14:48   #282
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

Gurkha, I have not heard of engine problems in Indian Skoda's. Some of my relatives own Octavias. They have had trouble with rattling rear door, and also regular service is too expensive(Mobil 1 oil for 7000)
But on the problem front its pretty okay.
I read about a guy who was asked 44000 for an alternator and then proceeded ahead to purchase same alternator from outside market for 18000. Skoda service center refused to fit it for him, and then he raised a stink to Skoda India long with ACI, and then the service center relented.
But then none of them have run beyond 100,000kms. Since most people dispose of cars here after 150,000kms and engine overhaul after 150,000kms is considered normal in India, I doubt people would care about sludge after 100,000kms or run.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 17:16   #283
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
as you can count by the number of Passats with 1.8T sold in US as compared to the Accords in both 4 and V6 flavor tells you of the fact about Accord's attributes.
Well, lets leave the badge comments and sales figures out of the picture. We are merely talking engines and the actual car here. Anything else will digress from the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
A simple test, check the US car registry records for long term ownership, apart from MB diesels, you will see many vintage Civic 4 cylinders, Subaru boxers, Toyota trucks and Corollas along with Accords and MB W123 diesels. That tells you of the pedigree of Japanese vehicles.
Again, this is digressing from our engine discussion. Yes, me you and pretty much the rest of Team-BHP know that Jap cars are supremely reliable.

Quote:
Now let me ask you the same question, have you extensively driven a Accord, tell me what you found lacking in US's top selling car?
Yup, very extensively. Go back to the first page and see who I have voted for.

Quote:
Here is what you do, rev both engines to redline, tell me which one is more composed.
Take it up to 150 kph. Then tell me which one is more composed and stable. There is no doubt that the RS is a better performer and a far better handler. In fact, it is a lot more of a drivers car than the Accord is.

Both the cars have jewels of an engine so its best not to degrade one in favour of the other.
GTO is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 17:36   #284
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, lets leave the badge comments and sales figures out of the picture. We are merely talking engines and the actual car here. Anything else will digress from the topic.



Again, this is digressing from our engine discussion. Yes, me you and pretty much the rest of Team-BHP know that Jap cars are supremely reliable.



Yup, very extensively. Go back to the first page and see who I have voted for.



Take it up to 150 kph. Then tell me which one is more composed and stable. There is no doubt that the RS is a better performer and a far better handler. In fact, it is a lot more of a drivers car than the Accord is.

Both the cars have jewels of an engine so its best not to degrade one in favour of the other.
The Accord is quite stable even at high speed cornering, I have taken a ungoverned Accord close to 135mph and its rock stable there, have taken my own Accord at around 160mph with stock suspension and just a tire change, this was around Watkins Glen, it was among the most neutral FWD cars. As for engine, lets not even bring the VW/Skoda in class of the electric smooth Accord engines, in fact no other Japanese manufacturer, Toyota included can make composed smooth engines like Honda does.
Gurkha is offline  
Old 15th June 2007, 22:00   #285
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Ok lets make some points of consideration:

Look: Subjective to everyone
Performance: Skoda RS wins
Comfort: Accord. Skoda is cramped (please cut some boot no one does hanky panky there you are just calling it a bed for the sake of calling it)
Safety: Both are same
Equipment level: Accord IMHO gives are sheer luxury.

Both are tied up but ACCORD wins being a JAP and more reliable + lower maintenance plus better looking than Skoda IMHO.
abhibh is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT honeybee Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 8th April 2016 12:02
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25
Honda Accord VTi vs Honda Accord V6 Dinesh99 Technical Stuff 48 9th March 2010 02:08
New Accord or any other equivalent? EDIT : Accord it is! Ramkumar Luxury, Imports & Niche 29 12th October 2009 10:18
Honda Accord Coupe Concept (Possible new Accord) amit The International Automotive Scene 3 10th January 2007 10:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks