View Poll Results: autocar VS overdrive - Which is better
1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2007, 20:58   #181
BHPian

All Indian auto mags have become like National Geographic nowadays. Same is the case with Auto shows in TV. There so called auto journos travelling to exotic countries and trying to evaluate beemers and merc with their ant-sized brains and ending up putting some beautiful pics/videos of chicks or the countryside and rarely some pics of cars from the oddest possible angles.

So its really a tie between all the mags listed!

Last edited by appuchan : 19th May 2007 at 21:00.
Old 19th May 2007, 23:03   #182
BHPian

Arrow Magazine should be helpful..

well i have been reading these magazines from last 12-13 months also gone thru the new sister mag What Car !!

good move from autocar

but these magazines should focus more on end user of automobile..... which they r doing to some extent but can be made much better

autocar is an better on content level gives better information which isuseful for end user like us newbie to expert all u will get there
Old 20th May 2007, 09:51   #183
Senior - BHPian

I seriously wish that I had come across this team-bhp site earlier. By and large, one gets to know the plus/minus of all cars by seraching threads. In my opinion, the best way to buy a car is to drive all cars at least 2-3 times for 20-30 mins, get an honest opinion from some one who has the car, and then bargain hard for the car you want. With the internet, there is no excuse for someone to be ill-informed. As for discounts and incentives, what you get is not printed in Autocar, but what is the position at that moment.

What is printed in Autocar, Overdrive, Car India, What Car and seen on TV is mostly fluff, PR, cash for review, and a lot of prejudice (compare with DelhiTimes, and you get the drift). Exclude BS, because at least for me, they seem less opinionated. Instead of spending moolah on these mags, spend it on the internet subscription, and it would be worth it. For my car which I recently bought, I went thru 3-4 years of all issues of Autocar, Overdrive, etc (in our corporate library), and trust me, I ended up thoroughly frustrated, and end up questioning the mags integrity and independence. There is nothinh that compares to test driving on your own.

A big difference could also be because of cars driven for TD on different days. If one day you drive say a Maruti 800, and the next day say a MB; you may end up panning 800 for its anaemic acceleration, engine noise,
etc. I do not know, but a driver who drives say a 80 bhp/11 troque and 130 bhp/17 torque will end up panning the lower end car.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:57   #184
BHPian

I was an Overdrive fan. The Overdrive was better when it had Adil Jal Darukhanawala and Aspi Bathena. When they moved to CAR India, Overdrive started losing it's quality. Now I read Autocarindia. So voted for Autocarindia.
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:42   #185

Where is Top gear ?

It has no comparos when it comes to quality and the finish of the mag. Pics are just brilliant.

Autocar has better and more truthful reviews.Overdrive was good initially but then started losing it's sheen.

Anyways I have voted for Autocar.
Old 3rd August 2007, 13:59   #186
BHPian

Smile

I used to love the motoring times with Times of India....It used to be a supplement with times every wednesday....never used to miss it untill the stopped it....But for magazines Top gear is good....followed by Motoring times
Old 6th August 2007, 12:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

What is printed in Autocar, Overdrive, Car India, What Car and seen on TV is mostly fluff, PR, cash for review, and a lot of prejudice (compare with DelhiTimes, and you get the drift). Exclude BS, because at least for me, they seem less opinionated. Instead of spending moolah on these mags, spend it on the internet subscription, and it would be worth it. For my car which I recently bought, I went thru 3-4 years of all issues of Autocar, Overdrive, etc (in our corporate library), and trust me, I ended up thoroughly frustrated, and end up questioning the mags integrity and independence. There is nothinh that compares to test driving on your own.
Something very similar is happening to me these days! I am rapidly losing faith in all of them!
Old 6th August 2007, 15:34   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
I was an Overdrive fan. The Overdrive was better when it had Adil Jal Darukhanawala and Aspi Bathena. When they moved to CAR India, Overdrive started losing it's quality. Now I read Autocarindia. So voted for Autocarindia.
I did not have any opinion on Mr. Darukhanwala and his Car India. I read 1-2 issues and did not think too much of it. But what really changed it was two months ago. In June 2007, I had to Galaxy Toyota to get teflon. While sitting in customer lounge, I saw a Car India and a supplement which was a Honda Civic pull-out. I think it was a March/April/May 2007 issue of Car India. Fine OK as long as Honda pays for the extra pages and puts out its own content. The shocking part was that the content on the glossy advertorial was mostly written by Mr. Darukanwala and his subordinates. All the content praised all the features and made it look like that the Civic was the finest piece of wheels ever produced. This is published and so members can verify.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:55   #189
BHPian

I have astrognly feel Auto car is better, I used to read Auto initially. But then with the inception of Topgear lost interest then eventually foundout that Topgear deals more with the international segment and am more interested in the national arena. Now again I have started with the Auto car which is much better and has more realistic reachable and achievable piece of information.
Old 6th August 2007, 19:57   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I did not have any opinion on Mr. Darukhanwala and his Car India. I read 1-2 issues and did not think too much of it. But what really changed it was two months ago. In June 2007, I had to Galaxy Toyota to get teflon. While sitting in customer lounge, I saw a Car India and a supplement which was a Honda Civic pull-out. I think it was a March/April/May 2007 issue of Car India. Fine OK as long as Honda pays for the extra pages and puts out its own content. The shocking part was that the content on the glossy advertorial was mostly written by Mr. Darukanwala and his subordinates. All the content praised all the features and made it look like that the Civic was the finest piece of wheels ever produced. This is published and so members can verify.
Just possible that in his opinion it is the best car in that segment ever seen in India! Wonder if anyone has read articles about the City lately. If they are going ga ga over that too then there may be a case against them (in the sense that they are Honda favorers)...
Old 6th August 2007, 20:08   #191
BHPian

I've been reading Autocar since its launch and till now it has mantained the same form........ most of the stuff is gr8 source of info but on internet BSM rocks
Old 2nd September 2007, 16:59   #192

I just read somewhere that Yogendra will be leaving Overdrive.
Old 2nd September 2007, 17:15   #193
v&v
Senior - BHPian

i read both, but overdrive is good on reviews.
i also see a lot on reviews on mouthshut.com too at time you get good reviews from actual users too.

Also topgear, their august limited edition issue was very good. it was on ferrari 60th annuversary. full coverage about it.
Old 2nd September 2007, 18:03   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i also see a lot on reviews on mouthshut.com too at time you get good reviews from actual users too
Haha, MouthShut and good review, you got to be kidding me. half of them are to take out anger on the companies for bad reviews, some time back one member was copying all reviews from team-bhp and posting it on mouth shut.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:20   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryairship View Post
I just read somewhere that Yogendra will be leaving Overdrive.
Sad to know that. I still have his comparison report of Viva Crdi and Fiesta that made me decide to buy the Viva. Must say it was one of my best decisions ever taken.
Closed Thread