View Poll Results: autocar VS overdrive - Which is better
1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2008, 23:07   #271
BHPian

Sorry, would like to vote for one that is not given in the poll.
Top Gear- Its got more character than the others. Among auto mags, I love their writing the best. It's fun to read over and over.
Old 7th December 2008, 01:52   #272
BANNED

Its good to see so many people voting for Autocar India. And to be honest, It is the Best all round Magazine available here.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:02   #273
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Top Gear

Would Vote for Top Gear, though it is not on the list, followed by Auto Car India.

Both have cater to different kinds of car lovers. ACI is more informative in terms of reviews and general gyan etc, while Top Gear is better in the wordly sense interms of giving a better perspective of how worthwhile a feature or benefit actually is.

Overdrive is not really that much fun.

Unversally all these magazines slip up interms of updating the Last few pages for Car summary reviews. These tend to be dated for both Autocar and Top Gear. New model introductions do not reflect in the overall comments.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:57   #274
Senior - BHPian

With each issue of these mags and with each visit to t-bhp, my conviction becomes stronger that t-bhp is the best site for anything about cars. Rest is all a waste of money. Need more proof as to how low can they go: Autocar Dec2008 has a 68-page supplement on NHC. Now no doubt City is a great car (my brother bought one on my recommendation), but the Dec 2008 supplement showed the complete sellout of Autocar. The content seemed like from Honda PR, but the writer was from Autocar. It seemed that NHC is perhaps the greatest invention since the internal combustion engine.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:20   #275
BHPian

Reading Auto car since 2002 . Found it better than others till Date
Old 9th December 2008, 02:26   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Its good to see so many people voting for Autocar India. And to be honest, It is the Best all round Magazine available here.
So Cyrus, in your opinion is a "Andhon mein Kaana Raja" good for the whole auto journalism industry??
Old 9th December 2008, 08:09   #277
BHPian

My vote go for BS motoring, simply because of their way of presentation, especialy bikes.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:18   #278
Senior - BHPian

Till Adil was with Overdrive it was the best. Now it's Autocar. It's smarter. But yes it's a commercial publication and ads are more important to it than editorial independence.

Slightly OT - wonder where Adil is. He was to launch a magazine called "Car" or something. I think he is the kind of father of automotive journalism in India. He used to write on cars when we had just the Amby and Premier.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:38   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Slightly OT - wonder where Adil is. He was to launch a magazine called "Car" or something. I think he is the kind of father of automotive journalism in India. He used to write on cars when we had just the Amby and Premier.
I would not like to give a different opinion on Adil. He was with Car India and now edits a weekly 4-5 page supplement `Zig Wheels' with TOI/HT. See Car India (mid-2007 May/June 2007 issue/supplement for what auto mags are capable of.
Old 9th December 2008, 11:46   #280
Senior - BHPian

I have been reading both the magazines for few years now and strongly feel that Autocar is better off.I found their analysis to be more realistic and their parametres of judgement of Vehicles to be more practicle.
Other differentiator I found was that,Autocar has a very nice classified section in the end that Overdrive misses out.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:14   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Slightly OT - wonder where Adil is. He was to launch a magazine called "Car" or something.
He writes articles on the Thursday automotive supplement with the Times Of India newspaper (think it's called 'Wheels'). Not aware of his association with any auto magazine now.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:48   #282
BHPian

my vote goes to BSM

autocar india and overdrive have become more of advertisement magazine.
lot of flaws off late in the magazine. maybe better editing and proof reading required.

BSM has been a good read. i think its the MAXIM of auto mags.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:02   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
To be honest, you will be biased !
Old 9th December 2008, 13:11   #284
BHPian

I sent this letter to Overdrive on the 28th of July 2008 - No acknowledgement of receipt and needless to say no response either!
ACI and Topgear for me!

Dear Team Overdrive,
I bought the July 08 issue of Overdrive on the 26th of July from a supermarket.
There was a bold strip across the magazine that proclaimed a mammoth all-new buyer's guide. This was the clinching factor for the purchase decision.

After flipping through some of the news, I moved to the buyer's guide and started researching some large hatches. After a point I moved to the Tata Indica Turbo DLG listing on page 226 for a quick comparison of some specs. (My current ride is an Indica Turbo DLG). To my surprise, according to Overdrive, this car is devoid of all mentionable features!
So I checked the Indica DLS on page 224 (A car i have owned previously - 2004 model). Apparently this car too is devoid of all features as listed in the features column.
This led me to check all the indica (diesel and petrol) listings - each one is erroneous!

Now the issue here is that I have owned three indica's in my lifetime. A 2003 model DLS, a 2004 model DLS (facelifted) and 2006 model DLG Turbo. If there's one car who's features I'm familiar with or know of, it is the Indica. I bought this issue of the magazine as I am seriously considering buying another car and decidedly not a Tata this time. But after seeing these kind of errors (Not mis-prints, mind you) how can anyone be expected to trust any of the other data within the buyer's guide?

You need to understand today that most people who can afford to buy a car would in all probability have access to the internet. All manufacturers have fairly detailed website from where required information about their cars can be gathered. The reason we buy a magazine that proclaims a mammoth buyer's guide is to save time and find all the required information in one place, gathered by experts on the subject.

Another article on page 24 about Euro NCAP crash test ratings for cars available in India is quite misleading in my opinion. All the ratings mentioned are for the European spec cars usually with multiple airbags, ABS+EBD and probably ESP too. This fact is not mentioned anywhere. These ratings don't mean anything in the Indian context - unless India-spec cars are tested.

My habits on buying auto magazines are quite regular and generally pick up 2 of the 3 leading indian magazines - depending on the articles mentioned on the cover. In future, I guess I will not be wasting time trying to decide which two to buy.

I request Overdrive to acknowledge receipt of this mail.

Ankur, Bangalore
Old 9th December 2008, 13:16   #285
BHPian

Adil J has been a pioneer of sorts in automotive journalism, when I was a teen I used to get my fix reading Car and Bike International.
I bought the Suzuki Samurai reading the reviews over and over.
However I still remember thinking to myself, Gosh his sentences are so loooooong, they just go on and on.Also he throws in words for effect, no matter if they dont find/need a place in the text ( sort of like those crass songs that pop up in the Hindi movies).
However Adil pretty much screwed himself by putting all his cronies into writing for the mag, someone called Neville ( his brother, I guess) totally destroyed my appetite for the mag and I dashed off a scathing letter to them.
Good riddance to Adil, at present Autocar is pretty good, their driving tests and mileage figures are spot on, though I fail to understand why they have devoted a special supplement to the New Honda City...come on it's not that special.
Top Gear is funny and irreverent, sort of like BSM, but they are cluttered, pages are a visual pain, they have to ease off on their supposedly funky looks. Vardhan also has to cool down on boasting about his perks, come on guys in this day and age who has not seen the good life ?!

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th December 2008 at 13:48. Reason: Post edited. Please be polite / dont get personal.
Closed Thread