View Poll Results: autocar VS overdrive - Which is better
1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th October 2009, 16:52   #346
BHPian

I used to subscribe to both Overdrive and Autocar and incidentally did not receive the subscription gifts from both of them
I had written one mail to Autocar and within hours there was a reply with apologies and details of the despatch of the gift
whereas with Overdrive Iam still waiting for a reply after innumerable reminders
which has resulted in me subscribing to one mag, which anybody can guess...
Old 9th October 2009, 17:36   #347
BHPian

I found many of my friends here saying that they have or will stop subscribing to auto magazines after joining this forum,
I beg to differ, I think that the charm of buying a magazine with expectations and checking for specific contents is not there online
I subscribe to Autocar, Auto India, Car India, Topgear and find Autocar better in terms of content, Car India for technical details, Auto India has improved considerably after Mr.Sen's return and nobody can match Topgear in terms of glitz
Old 9th October 2009, 19:24   #348
BHPian

Default Autocar vs Overdrive

Overdrive mag`s writing is like a bunch of students talking in a college canteen which has more energy than substance whereas autocar is like you HOD who speaks with experience and authority.Just looking at the fuel efficieny figures of OD will tell you that.We may enjoy reading OD but the sense of being part of our industry is the kind of feeling autocar gives. I would rate Auto Bild getting closer to Autocar with every issue.
Old 10th October 2009, 01:24   #349

Ive been reading both magazines for over a decade. Overdrive has just lost it. The stories are irrelevant and often repetitive. eg. Their anniversary issue travel stories. ACI is leagues ahead in terms of photos, testing and overall quality. BSM is always a great read and Auto Bild too is quite interesting.
Old 10th October 2009, 19:56   #350
BHPian

This is surely like those Indian Express vs Times of India polls. IE makes for good content and TOI all the spicy news.

Well I've been following BS Motoring for a while and I like they way they write, its quiet emotive and touches the common man.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:50   #351
BHPian

Have not voted for one. I am not a subscriber, but have read these magazines regularly only for product updates, tech specs or glossy ads. Other than these I find both these magazines to be equally biased in evaluations. Whoever pays, gets the good reviews.
Old 11th October 2009, 00:07   #352
BHPian

AutoCarIndia is better.
But seriously, after joining this forum, everything feels like BS to me with all the reviews fixed. You get hell lotta knowledge from some of the accomplished members and mods. Although many "Fan-Boy" type comments are there but all in all, you get the unadulterated reviews, good enough for anyone to make it's perfect decision.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:05   #353
Senior - BHPian

Autocar is waaay better than Overdrive. Overdrive is a big sucker for Honda/Toyota badge. Any **** coming out of these two manufacturers is a WOW!!! for them. It is sickening. In July issue of OD, this guy Bertrand in his column "Con-Rod" was raving about Jazz justifying its stratospheric price like even a Honda saleman would not do. Wonder if he practices what he preaches, that is if he would plonk his hard-earned money on overpriced Jazz.

Another strange thing is, OD comes from the house of Tatas and yet it is harshest critic of Tata cars. In their zeal to be impartial, OD goes overboard and sees faults in Tata cars even where they do not exist. I am not a fan of Tata cars, but then I do not hate Tata cars as much as OD does.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:27   #354
Senior - BHPian

Was just watching OD show . On the AAA type questions - one chap asked OD if SX4 production is stopped. Shirish didnt mention a word about the new 1.6 petrol instead he said the SX4 diesel will be on its way shortly. Im quite surprised he didnt mention about the new petrol engine!!!
Old 11th October 2009, 13:29   #355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Another strange thing is, OD comes from the house of Tatas and yet it is harshest critic of Tata cars. In their zeal to be impartial, OD goes overboard and sees faults in Tata cars even where they do not exist. I am not a fan of Tata cars, but then I do not hate Tata cars as much as OD does.
that changed a long time ago buddy. when infomedia was bought over by another company.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:47   #356
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive editorial team is nothing more than a bunch of immature boy racers who are ga ga over the car that can do the fastest 0 to 100. This is most evident in their tv show apart from the write ups. I fully agree with pgsagar's observations.

A major issue is the vocabulary used by these guys in both the print & the visual media words like bl...y, s..t etc abound. My nephews watch the show too and it is hard to explain to them why the guys on tv are allowed to say bad words, why their mummy does not give them a time out. Well we stopped watching the show and are sticking with the Autocarshow.

Last but not the least all of the magazines and autoshows are obsessed with beige interiors. Anything in grey or black is dull. Is it just me or are their others who do find dark interiors stately and elegant and the colour beige impractical to maintain in our dusty environment.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:04   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Was just watching OD show . On the AAA type questions - one chap asked OD if SX4 production is stopped. Shirish didnt mention a word about the new 1.6 petrol instead he said the SX4 diesel will be on its way shortly. Im quite surprised he didnt mention about the new petrol engine!!!
somebody tell sireesh to be logged into Teambhp for updates and answers to his OD question
Old 11th October 2009, 14:27   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Last but not the least all of the magazines and autoshows are obsessed with beige interiors. Anything in grey or black is dull. Is it just me or are their others who do find dark interiors stately and elegant and the colour beige impractical to maintain in our dusty environment.
I fully agree with you. I am a fan of black, too. I personally think beige should be on a chauffer-driven stately luxo-barges like Bentley, RR etc. It looks out of place on small cars like an i10/spark etc. Black looks more sporty. Another reason why I like Swift. And in the end of course, practicality matters too. Black hides smudges while they satnd out in biege interiors.
Old 11th October 2009, 19:19   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Wonder if he practices what he preaches, that is if he would plonk his hard-earned money on overpriced Jazz.

He doesn't need to!! He gets to keep cars like Jetta in his house for "long term ownership"report. The other journos post their ownership reports and they fail to do justice to the vehicle or brand they write about.
Old 13th October 2009, 10:19   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I feel beige has more of a luxury image. But if I am not driving a luxury car, then beige is wasted on me.

Black leather looks sexy - not just stately or elegant (that too) - especially a combination of perforations + plain. Watch a few in-car seduction scenes in movies - black leather seats are pretty common :-)
Closed Thread