1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21st October 2006, 14:50   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Direct and indirect use of abusive language with a taste of humour that is torture!

Autocar is anyday better than OD or BSM.

Merc.
Old 26th October 2006, 13:47   #122
BHPian

BS motoring it is for me - reason they have the mot humorous reviews and editiorials and it remembers that it is a magazine
In a googled world like ours is AC or OD need to remember - while in their rush for giving us updates - that thru the internet one can get much of the information and much more up to date than they have - one eg. is the hot deals ( this applies to all of the mags actually) - hello by the time the mag comes out it is old hat - the newspaper and the media - net, TV etc would have given us that info already
Also Autocar has a really poor "car buyer guide" section - they have the tech specs from like last year or so - and their info on the cash discounts etc is so bad - for eg Sonata embera - this month issue - while we have people talking of getting it on road for 11.5 lacs - it says "No discounts but a finance payout of 4 % blah blah " - and then it has the old sonata specs because it mentions traction control
All they have to do is go to the company website and update their guide based on what it is saying
BS motoring avoids all this - while coming up with great ones like pros and cons - For the Porsche Cayenne - it says - Cons: Bipasha Basu has one
Or Rolls Royce : Cons - Everyone will want to marry your daughter

Of course Overdrive and AC both have a lot more coverage (comparos etc.)which is good but readability is better in BS Motoring
Old 26th October 2006, 13:52   #123
BHPian

I completely agree , ive happened to jump from overdrive to top gear and finally settled on autocar after having subscribed to all 3 of them to figure out which one took my coffeetable top .
Autocar constantly seems way professional as compared to the rest of them.
Old 26th October 2006, 13:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Smile autocar!!!!

even i think autocar is better than overdrive.!

one thing which overdrive particularly lacks is in giving information in the car buyers guide section.

allmost all of the infomation given is not correct. neither the prices nor the features of the cars. it is of no help to anyone rather than confusing the buyer.!!
Old 26th October 2006, 16:08   #125
BHPian

I subscribe to both ACI and OD, plus top gear. I find ACI the best, though some of the articles in top gear are well written but they mostly have international stuff.
Its hard to believe the mileage figures quoted by OD.
Old 8th November 2006, 00:40   #126
BHPian

i used to read both... i have no complaints with either of them...
Old 8th November 2006, 02:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Actually if any of you regularly read International magazines you would be surprised to find that despite some of the best International Mags being launched in India the standards of our Auto mags are very poor. The figures are routinely fudged, most of the so called "Comparison Tests" take place on paper only & it is a known concept that some Editors & Senior Journalists also work as "Consultants" for some auto companies which brings their integrity into a cloud of suspicion.

In fact most of the comparison tests are done by borrowing Test Drive cars from dealers & doing a photo shoot. The figures are either lifted from international mags (since most models in india are now available globally) or are just guess work. This is the primary reason for the discrepancy in figures among the various mags. Also another problem is that most mags don't have proper facilities to test the cars, so conditions vary from car to car & thus affect their performance accordingly.

Since most cars sold in India are now available abroad I prefer to trust figures & opinion published by magazines like EVO, Car & Driver, Autocar UK etc. Due to the developed state of their publishing markets they are much more trustworthy & relatively free of favoritism.

And just for the record before people ask me my sources for this let me tell you I have done Freelance work for two leading auto mags of India and count the Chief Editors of two current leading mags as good friends. So I do know what I am talking about.
Old 11th November 2006, 10:03   #128
Senior - BHPian

my rating:
1. Autocar, OD
2. BS motoring.
Old 11th November 2006, 10:48   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

After advertising in both, i've come to one conclusion. Overdrive still has a dedicated following. Between Autocar and Overdrive, I believe 75-80% of the readers across India are pretty much covered.
Another remarkable thing is that, I've found out, everybody (read: interested in automotive stuff) reads atleast one of these 2, even if he/she is also reading a TG, Car, BSM etc.
Old 12th November 2006, 03:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
even if he/she is also reading a TG, Car, BSM etc.
Sambhai,

That is really nice conclusion.
I read Autocar,Overdrive,Topgear and Bsmotoring.

Mugen_Power.
Old 12th November 2006, 11:47   #131

hi all,

i just bought a load of auto mags and really, auto car stands out at top man. it is a brill mag ...another subscription coming up...hmm.

cheers,
shaan
Old 12th November 2006, 12:36   #132
Senior - BHPian

well i read atleast three of them...thats autocar,overdrive and autoindia since it was launched...and i feel autocar is pretty good...although people..says they arent dead on target with their test drives,but most of their news is pretty much true...except for when they say 50 new cars coming to india in 2005,2006,2007....we should have by now had over 150 cars in india..but have only seen around 8 to 10 models launched,other than that theyve got to cut down on those advertisments..every 2nd or 3rd page is an add and even after that they've got a good 10 to 15 pages just before the price list section full of ads.other than that tiny problem they are all well off..
Old 12th November 2006, 17:07   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
we...except for when they say 50 new cars coming to india in 2005,2006,2007....we should have by now had over 150 cars in india..but have only seen around 8 to 10 models launched,other than that theyve got to cut down on those advertisments..every 2nd or 3rd page is an add and even after that they've got a good 10 to 15 pages just before the price list section full of ads.other than that tiny problem they are all well off..
thats true.... even cars which were said to be launched in 2005 is not yet done..... they also don't seem to stop it ... they keep repeating it every year
Old 12th November 2006, 20:06   #134
BHPian

. Overdrive still has a dedicated following.
Sam you are absolutely right.
Overdrive is more dedicated that doest means Autocar is bad.
Old 12th November 2006, 23:02   #135
BANNED

Iraghava's post is a real eye-opener. Now you know why some mags are always biased to some manufacturer. I used to believe them some time ago, then stopped it once I started smelling fish!

These days, Car is also making some improvement. But for the sheer reading enjoyment (not facts), it's Autocar, Topgear & BSM.
Closed Thread