Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th March 2007, 15:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Malaysian Proton Cars maybe heading for India

If the deal between VW and Proton goes through smoothly[the second time after initial rounds failed] I feel VW may use the Proton brand to launch a cheap car in India[also some other countries].

Volkswagen AG said talks on a partnership with Malaysia's Proton Holdings Bhd. are at a ``fairly advanced'' stage, as Europe's largest carmaker seeks a platform to expand in Southeast Asia.

Volkswagen said having control of local production is key to its strategy in emerging markets such as India and Malaysia.Volkswagen will use Proton as a manufacturing hub for the region,''

Volkswagen's comments suggest the company is seeking 51 percent of Proton's manufacturing business.

Source:
Bloomberg.com: Germany

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th March 2007 at 15:19.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 15:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi rahul

in the proton car range i liked the Waja the best, it had looks which were very polished and executive like. the weera and the saga were also good but kind of low end in terms of budget.

the satria was a two door hot sports type hatch and i liked that as well. proton i believe will have some future out here in india more than VW itself. perhaps if they really want VW can leverage their brand name and associate with proton for the actual cars.

proton also has good presence in singapore where people have accepted it as a local car maker of choice.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 17:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

After enjoying years of total protection from competition, Proton is finding it difficult to survive in its home market after they opened it (the market) up.

They should be more interested in retaining whatever little market share they now have in Malaysia than coming here to sell cars. They are not a 'manufacturer', strictly speaking - they sell reworked versions of old Mitsubishi platforms.

Back in 2001 Proton was playing with an alliance between themselves, Tata in India and Iran Khodro in order to try and survive post-AFTA. Didnt happen because the Malaysians are too proud to understand their own weaknesses - they were on an 'Asian Tiger' high.

OT: Rahul do you always open a new thread everytime you read the newspapers?

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th March 2007 at 17:36.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 18:55   #4
BHPian

isnt proton owned by malaysian govt.
thats what the taxi driver told me in malaysia when i asked him about his car
every damn taxi was a proton in KL
harsh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 19:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah. & I agree with Steeroid's views. they dont really make anything so in all probability VW would use their base to manufacture cars which would be prodiced for asian markets & not necessarily sell them under proton tag outside Malaysia
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 19:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Proton maybe a market leader in Malaysia but I dont see how they can make an impact in our market. Their cars are based on older generation Mitsubishis and dont have a great reliability record in European markets.

We Indians tend to overlook reliability/technology issues from our home grown car makers, but that may not be the case with foreign manufacturers.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
dont have a great reliability record in European markets.
Agreed ! And Proton cars lack refinement and build quality is too bad in the lower price tagged cars.

Yeah, most of the models are reworked and old patterns from Japan or korea with glossy lights...

Jai
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 06:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Considering what they produce, that's hardly a positive for in the Indian car scene. As Steer mentioned earlier they are in the doldrums ever since the protection accorded to them in the home market was taken away so don't expect any great shakes in our market from them.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 14:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
in the proton car range i liked the Waja the best, it had looks which were very polished and executive like. the weera and the saga were also good but kind of low end in terms of budget.
Isn't Waja the top-end proton model, that looks a bit like Nissan Maxima?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 15:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

I feel VW may use the Proton brand to launch a cheap car in India[also some other countries].

They wont. Proton is in deep financial quagmire themselves that threatens their existence. Remember that this is a company that's quasi-goverment run. And its 'technology" has been "derived" from Mitsubishi. It doesnt have sufficient best-practices - adopted or homegrown; or a critical mass to thrust forward confidently or independantly under the best of times, let alone in their current situation

Last edited by theMAG : 17th March 2007 at 15:22.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 19:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Isn't Waja the top-end proton model, that looks a bit like Nissan Maxima?
As of my knowledge, they have 5 or 6 Models..
Proton Saga - Petrol 1.4
Proton Iswara - Petrol 1.4
Proton Wira - P & D, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 1.5 D
Proton Waja - 1.8 Petrol
Proton Gen-2 - P - No idea about engine Spec
Proton Perdana Petrol - No idea about engine Spec

Proton Perdana is the TOP end model. It comes with a V-6 variant too...

Cheers,
Jai
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
As of my knowledge, they have 5 or 6 Models..
Proton Saga - Petrol 1.4
Proton Iswara - Petrol 1.4
Proton Wira - P & D, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 1.5 D
Proton Waja - 1.8 Petrol
Proton Gen-2 - P - No idea about engine Spec
Proton Perdana Petrol - No idea about engine Spec

Proton Perdana is the TOP end model. It comes with a V-6 variant too...

Cheers,
Jai
You forgot the Satria, which was the really fun car to drive in their range. Old Mitsubishi colt with a new face, subsequently had its suspension redone by Lotus which is also owned by Proton.

Perdana Petrol had a 3.0 V6 which I drove around for about 2 years - nice smooth engine, but it drinks fuel like there's no tomorrow. The Wira is a 1993-spec Mitsubishi Lancer platform and the Waja is the previous generation Galant platform (2 generations old now that the new Galant is available).

Saga and Iswara are both the same, and are derived from the old Renault 19.

I didnt know they had a diesel engine - must be new. BTW the Wira/Waja/Saga/Satria/Iswara engine range is 1.3, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 - all cars come with all engines in various guises and price points, with the 1.8 reserved for the Waja and the Satria. There is no 1.4 as far as I know.

Interestingly, the parent company for Proton (Hicom) is also the sole selling agent for Tata Trucks and UVs.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th March 2007 at 19:52.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 21:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

From what I have heard in all probability they would initially launch a sedan[competitor for the logan] for the entire asia-pacific region[includes India,china]
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 23:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
From what I have heard in all probability they would initially launch a sedan[competitor for the logan] for the entire asia-pacific region[includes India,china]
It's easier said then done. Here are a few things they need to do first:

1. Identify a product which can be effectively sold in our market with the right design, engines & price.

2. Build a full network of dealers & service stations.

3. Brand awareness. I can bet with you more than 90% of the people on this forum have no idea who Proton is & what they make. Think about the ordinary Joe out there thinking of buying a new Proton.

4. Finances - In these crisis laden times do they really have the money to launch their brand afresh in a market like India? Also, do they have the pockets to compete with competitors like Mahindra-Renault, TATA & Maruti?

If they do get bought out by VW even then there are a lot of problems remaining to solve including the sales & service support (Skoda has more than enough on its hands right now, it certainly can't handle a mass-market brands support functions) and more importantly building up the brand awareness.

Let's see if they are serious about our market & if yes, then what strategy they adopt.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 00:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
OT: Rahul do you always open a new thread everytime you read the newspapers?

124 threads started in 8 months....must be a record.!!! Dont think anyone has more than this..!!!
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote