Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2007, 16:03   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
He mentioned affordable too...
He said big guns and when you say big guns it usually refers to Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 00:32   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

On a serious note,even if a convertible is introduced at a price range b/w Rs 7-9 lakhs, there will be a huge number of takers.
What the Indian market looks for is a little variation. In this case,there isn't a contender in the convertible-sports car section. Given that the vehicle has a decent list of goodies, families looking for a fun-car;individuals with fair amount of money interested in the style+fun strata -- -- these are the ones who'd make the sales propell.
Apart from the Audi/BMW/Merc etc, a more reachable car w.r.t the cost ..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 00:37   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Agree on the fun part being a selling point, but the Storm has something else going totally wrong for it, that is, it is a convertible. Even the most fun loving people would not prefer a convertible in India. I know an owner who bought it on impulse but he can never drive it with the top down (and even driving top down, there is no point there) . Infact they actually messed up by not offerring the "Streak" at all. Streak would have actually been more practical and yet retained the Fun part.

Last edited by 1100D : 7th August 2007 at 00:39.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 00:48   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Agree on the fun part being a selling point, but the Storm has something else going totally wrong for it, that is, it is a convertible. Even the most fun loving people would not prefer a convertible in India. I know an owner who bought it on impulse but he can never drive it with the top down (and even driving top down, there is no point there) . Infact they actually messed up by not offerring the "Streak" at all. Streak would have actually been more practical and yet retained the Fun part.
Thats a point! Given that there is so much of polution, it really won't be fun driving a convertible in India (atleast not within city limits).
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 00:52   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thats a point! Given that there is so much of polution, it really won't be fun driving a convertible in India (atleast not within city limits).
Thats where the original car that was designed by Gerard Godfroy, the San Streak, a Coupe would have come in handy. But somehow, someone envisaged a convertible on the same car and then the convertible only made it to the market. The coupe was all but forgotten.

Last edited by 1100D : 7th August 2007 at 00:56.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:12   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats where the original car that was designed by Gerard Godfroy, the San Streak, a Coupe would have come in handy. But somehow, someone envisaged a convertible on the same car and then the convertible only made it to the market. The coupe was all but forgotten.
There are very few coupes in India. The miata's probably the most 'affordable' coupe/convertible. I wonder how the general enthusiast would decide b/w the two.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:23   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
There are very few coupes in India. The miata's probably the most 'affordable' coupe/convertible. I wonder how the general enthusiast would decide b/w the two.
Mazda (given that Ford is a common fixture) quite surprisingly does not have a presence in India. However Miata pricing can go in the territory of Accord.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 01:28   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

The 2007 Miata MX-5 is priced at about $25K.(touring version-loaded).
If these were to be sold in India,a price tag of Rs 15-20 lakhs is assured. A lot of people who could afford such cars,would probably get the Accord for many reasons.

Put in a coupe/roadster for under 10 lakhs,and boom- consumers move in that direction,over night..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 09:55   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
safari_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bengaluru / Bagdal
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
He said big guns and when you say big guns it usually refers to Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc
Think I missed 'Indian ' before big guns
By affordable I mean 7-9Lac. Agreed they can't be driven in the cities but atleast we can think to take them on the highways.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 10:08   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

there is a dealer in kirti nagar, new delhi who is selling these san storms for 6.75 laks !!! he has two red test drive cars and quite a few of them in his showroom too. even a sx4 or honda city are much better at this price
coolmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 11:27   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Think I missed 'Indian ' before big guns
By affordable I mean 7-9Lac. Agreed they can't be driven in the cities but atleast we can think to take them on the highways.
in that case they will have more presence in the second hand market, because most of the buyers would like to use it as a weekend get away car.
(incase of tbhpians, it would be for the meets )

raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 00:00   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The 2007 Miata MX-5 is priced at about $25K.(touring version-loaded).
If these were to be sold in India,a price tag of Rs 15-20 lakhs is assured. A lot of people who could afford such cars,would probably get the Accord for many reasons.

Put in a coupe/roadster for under 10 lakhs,and boom- consumers move in that direction,over night..

You are quite right about your market analysis. That is where the convertible needs to be positioned but as is mentioned on this thread, the base car should not be segments below the price point segment. As in the Base car of the San storm is more or less the Zen category car at the price of a Fiesta or SX4. So if we have a 10L convertible, it has to be the Fiesta category base car with at least a 1.6l engine (and this is my wishlist a rear wheel drive!! Will not hurt even if the prev gen Miata is brought in and marketed in this segment)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 00:23   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
You are quite right about your market analysis. That is where the convertible needs to be positioned but as is mentioned on this thread, the base car should not be segments below the price point segment. As in the Base car of the San storm is more or less the Zen category car at the price of a Fiesta or SX4. So if we have a 10L convertible, it has to be the Fiesta category base car with at least a 1.6l engine (and this is my wishlist a rear wheel drive!! Will not hurt even if the prev gen Miata is brought in and marketed in this segment)
Spot on! Bring back the Miata,and you have a success story waiting to be written. A convertible/coupe at Rs8-10lakhs would be a good buy.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 01:06   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

nitin if the miata was to make its way to india it would not be less then 18lacs. not many people would want too head into that territory
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 01:11   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
nitin if the miata was to make its way to india it would not be less then 18lacs. not many people would want too head into that territory
Thats absolutely right. The reference was to the old generation Miatas,not the new ones.
As mentioned before,the new MX5s sell at ~$25K, so if it were to be introduced in India, a tag of Rs 15-19 lakhs could be seen.
On the contrary, a convertible/coupe for 1/2 that price would excel.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kolkata Trams - The Last Bastion Still Alive and Kicking! anjan_c2007 Commercial Vehicles 58 30th April 2017 23:57
Where Time Still Stands Still - A Journey (Delhi-Dumka-Deoghar) anandjha Travelogues 11 29th November 2012 16:59
The storm is here.... (Purchased a San Storm!) lover_guy_001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 3rd May 2011 00:11
Pune rain - My horror story (still alive) omishra Street Experiences 7 18th June 2010 18:34
Premier Automobiles -- Is it still alive?? salilpawar1 The Indian Car Scene 48 18th January 2009 10:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks