Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th March 2007, 01:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
if LHD is the problem then one solution might be to sell your car and get an RHD mustang from Canada.
Canada is LHD just like US. Dunno if that generation Mustang was ever made in RHD. Your best option is to do a crude conversion (even if it dosent run) without the i/p, bring it into India, register it and then think of what you want to do with it.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 02:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Canada is LHD just like US. Dunno if that generation Mustang was ever made in RHD. Your best option is to do a crude conversion (even if it dosent run) without the i/p, bring it into India, register it and then think of what you want to do with it.
i thought canada has some RHD cars as well? many canadian cars i've seen on ebay are RHD.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 11:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Getting the car down isnt impossible, just break the car down into several pieces and reassemble it once it arrives but registering the car which is a LHD is difficult unless you get it registered at some Bihar/Haryana RTO(anything is possible there) and get yourself a national number plate and registration papers(dont exactly know how that works thou)!!!
Unless you can break it down yourself , it does not make sense. Just the labor to do visual inspection costs you a labor of upto $50 per hour. For my motorcycle I usually pay $70 per hour.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 21:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just put a V6 or V8 in the Conti and you're done.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 10:00   #35
BHPian

[quote=rishism;402463]
But the costs involved are pretty phenomenal. Not to overlook the %'s asked for by customs and their relatives and neighbours and pets.
quote]
For customs duties, and paperwork, the costs involved in the case of Transfer of residence should be very nominal. Getting the LHD to RHD is not a mass market thing. It has to be done by an autoshop experienced in such mods, which is very rare. The body shops here hardly deal with such jobs. I am surprised that some one quoted him $4K. Does it include all the parts? I am thinking you will need to replace a lot of parts from the dash and the gearknob. If he has done any such conversions before, it does not hurt to checkout how good a job he has done.
Any custom jobs at auto shops tend to be very expensive in terms of labor.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:52   #36
BHPian

Tried to bring my eclipse back when i graduated but gave up after finding out there was a very good chance my car could get stuck at the docks even after all the papers and duties paid. Its just not worth the hassle.
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 23:13   #37

Thanks guys for all your valuable suggestions.

Finally I dropped my plan to bring FORD MUSTANG to INDIA.

Now, that i have an ford ikon flair 2004 december model, I want to sell it and buy a good diesel car, which looks sporty and spacious , i know sporty and spacious doesnt fit in same boat, but in INDIA this happens.

I was looking through CHEVY travera Neo, can some one say how is this SUV.

I am planning to take SUV and a car(diesel), it has been so many years I didnt come to INDIA, so cant judge what to take really .

And can some one say how much , can i get if i sell my FORD IKON flair 2004 model registered in feb 05, with VIP number 9009.

Thanks a lot TEAM -BHP .

Regards
VAMSHI
vamshi_mustangG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 11:30   #38
BHPian

why is the exact reason LHD is not allowed? other countries that have RHD seem to allow LHD cars, case in point the UK and Japan...in fact in japan its more lucrative to buyers if u have LHD.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 12:09   #39
BHPian

Thats a sad end ! Mustang is a gorgeous machine. No other car comes as close to its mean look except Camaros or Corvettes.
What is your combined budget for the diesel car and SUV? Tavera has some competitors. Budget would help decide the options better.
Ikon has a poor resale. I sold off my 2004 Ikon in 2.35. That's no money ! You might be luckier !
scorp 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 20:13   #40

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

I sold my Ford Ikon flair 2004 december model '9009' number for 3.25 lakhs, but some how had a feeling , price was less, please justify.

I am planning to buy SUV , diesel,

Look should be great and manly.
Engine should be great.

Guys can you suggest me a good SUV in INDIA.

thanks
Vamshi
vamshi_mustangG is offline   Reply With Quote