Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 02:33   #1561
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
100 bucks, with receipt, for the tint.. me a responsible driver, you see
Fine for tints? Now thats a first, which car do you have and how dark those tints are?

I thought the fine is only for sun films and tints upto the specified limits are approved and thats what most manufacturers follow.

EDIT - Any one from Delhi heading towards Dwarka side be careful, extensive checking for films in Dwarka especially sector 9. Dad passed it today morning and it was a gold mine for traffic police, they had stopped atleast 10-12 cars.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 15th May 2012 at 02:35.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 06:23   #1562
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng
Delhi Police does not have the courtesy or time to get films removed from their own cars.
Probably they would never have the time and they never would remove them.
Saw this car half hour back in Central Delhi. The films put on the glasses were not even close to the earlier permittet limit of 50 and 70 VLT.
The SC has allowed vehicles belonging to VIPs/VVIPs and government servants requiring Z/Z+-level security to have window film of any darkness. Perhaps police officials (esp. the top-ranking ones) fall in this category.

Yesterday I went to the local PS (Asst. Comm. of Traffic Police, Sadar, Sector 51 near Mayfield Gardens) and the official car (a White Esteem with tell-tale bulb and flags and antennae) had super-dark film all around. I'm sure police officials of the rank of ACP and higher are VIPs and their vehicles are thus exempt.

I don't know what to make of the drive in Gurgaon. I see tons of cars with film still running around. The police are apparently switching their checking locations every day. I have't seen a single instance on my daily commute (now by bike) after that unlucky first day. The unfairness of it all has made me park my non-de-filmed car at home and adopt the usual wait-and-watch approach.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 09:15   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,702
Thanked: 3,893 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What about factory installed sunfilms. My Wagon R Vxi has Maruti Temperlite installed.

Would that be in violation of the law?
Isn’t Temperlite an automotive glass brand from Asahi? I guess that should be legal, as there is no add-on to the existing tinted glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I see some mentioning about women being at risk due to driving in tint-free cars. We dont (generally) have such issues down south, but even in places where this happens, aren't they safe inside locked cars, tint or not ? And if they are unsafe in cars, what about the women on bikes ?
I agree, I find it a bit too farfetched – women feeling insecure due to lack of sun-films, that too in a locked car. We had sun-film on our old car (sides & rear). My reason for installing that was heat-rejection and not privacy. It was with maximum transparency, and I remember it was a bit more expensive than the darker ones.
vb-san is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 10:03   #1564
BHPian
 
siddheshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Panaji
Posts: 442
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Fine for tints? Now thats a first, which car do you have and how dark those tints are?
Ford Endeavour, the tints showed 21% on the meter Pune police conducted the drive for one day at one chowk, as far as my information goes.. haven't heard of any other persistent action. They were almost apologetic when they gave the fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I thought the fine is only for sun films and tints upto the specified limits are approved and thats what most manufacturers follow.
The SC judgement bans any kind of film, AND puts limits on OEM glass
siddheshb is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 10:11   #1565
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,473
Thanked: 19,389 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Ford Endeavour, the tints showed 21% on the meter Pune police conducted the drive for one day at one chowk, as far as my information goes.. haven't heard of any other persistent action. They were almost apologetic when they gave the fine.

The SC judgement bans any kind of film, AND puts limits on OEM glass
So you got fined for the sunfilm on your Endy or for the OEM tinted glass?
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 10:32   #1566
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,025
Thanked: 3,483 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I see some mentioning about women being at risk due to driving in tint-free cars. We dont (generally) have such issues down south, but even in places where this happens, aren't they safe inside locked cars, tint or not ? And if they are unsafe in cars, what about the women on bikes ?
I totally disagree. My wife drives our Ikon to work and back occassionally, and being in the IT sector catering to US and European clients, there are many days when she has to return back after sunset. Ask a woman in that situation if she would prefer being in a car without tints or with them. Therein lies the answer! Let's not underestimate that with comparing this to women travelling on 2 wheelers. Also, i disagree with the part about it being safer in the south. A quick look at the muggings in Bangalore thread can dispel many such misconceptions.

Infact, more than anything else this is my primary concern at the moment. That said, my Ikon has tints which were provided by the dealer, and are RTO approved.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 10:54   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

@benny, ok make that "south of Bangalore".

If you say that a woman in a 1-tonne car (which if required can be used as a battering ram) that has a protective covering of metal and glass is unsafe without tints, what about the women who bike to/from work after sunset and are easily visible ? Aren't they sitting ducks then ? Also for her to be not visible from outside, the tints would have to be dark and that would impede her view around the car, especially the rear and sides.

BTW, when you say tint from dealer, do you mean tinted-glass from manufacturer or tints put on by the dealer ? If it is the latter, they are not legal as per the new SC ruling.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 10:59   #1568
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Ask a woman in that situation if she would prefer being in a car without tints or with them.
Hello Benbsb29,

I am definitely sure that women will prefer to Drive in Car that have Tints or Sunfilms on them.

It is not about South or North or East or West India. I have seen this in almost all parts of the Country - People on two wheelers or on Roads literally peep in a Car when they see a single woman driving the Car. If the lady is attractive (I understand that is subjective) & wearing a modern outfit she will mostly invite a lewd comment or dirty look.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 11:01   #1569
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,582
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I think we have got used to the tints and will stick to arguing for it providing umpteen reasons. Other than the Sun peeping through, I don't think the reverse of crime inside tinted windows will be justifiable.

On the other hand, most (or all!) of the muggings (not the same crimes that the SC is trying to prevent here) happened to guys
srishiva is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 11:04   #1570
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
@benny, ok make that "south of Bangalore".

If you say that a woman in a 1-tonne car (which if required can be used as a battering ram) that has a protective covering of metal and glass is unsafe without tints, what about the women who bike to/from work after sunset and are easily visible ? Aren't they sitting ducks then ? Also for her to be not visible from outside, the tints would have to be dark and that would impede her view around the car, especially the rear and sides.
Sir
Even the women riding on bikes are in danger as happened in an incident one week back. Many such incidents have happened regarding women on bikes and also lone women drivers in cars. The robbers can surround your car on both sides thereby preventing the car to move and it becomes all the more risky in cars as you cannot maneuver the car in such a small space but you can do that in a bike.

In fact without films not just lone women but even lone male drivers are unsafe. One cant deny It is easy for the robbers to figure out the number and sex of the occupants plus the contents in the car without films but difficult for figuring out the same in cars with films. So films offer a protection from the eyes of miscreants. What they cant see, they will not rob this is obvious. Cause like ordinary people even robbers also have fear in them what if a gun slinging guy comes out of the car and shoots the crap out of them. Films somewhat keeps that fear in them.

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 11:20   #1571
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Benbsb29,
If the lady is attractive (I understand that is subjective) & wearing a modern outfit she will mostly invite a lewd comment or dirty look.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think we have got used to the tints and will stick to arguing for it providing umpteen reasons. Other than the Sun peeping through, I don't think the reverse of crime inside tinted windows will be justifiable.

On the other hand, most (or all!) of the muggings (not the same crimes that the SC is trying to prevent here) happened to guys
Yep and then once they find a woman attractive enough and vulnerable on a desolate stretch if they have enough courage they can commit a crime. Once many such incidents start happening, it will then spur another PIL in the SC and without properly analyzing merits and demerits in depth and taking into account rules or ground realities, a judgement will be passed that totally dark tints will be allowed in cars if and only if the driver is a woman, visibility of the road outside through those films be damned. Though we have become a PIL happy country our legal system is a long way from maturity. I blame the pittance being allocated to our judicial system through the annual budget. Our legal system has been decimated year on year by successive governments deliberately starving it financially to ensure that for the common man justice is as good as denied by making it inordinately delayed and I know all this is .

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 15th May 2012 at 11:21.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 12:08   #1572
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Once many such incidents start happening, it will then spur another PIL in the SC and without properly analyzing merits and demerits in depth and taking into account rules or ground realities, a judgement will be passed that totally dark tints will be allowed
Hello Samarjitdhar,

Yes, a counter PIL can be filled & things you have suggested can happed in future.

But in my opinion this drive is just temporary & after couple of months I am sure everyone will forget everything. This has happened in past & will continue happening in future also.

In City like Mumbai, during peak hours, a Traffic Constable cannot afford to stop a Car & ask the Driver to park in a corner & then fine him for dark Sunfilms. Even if he tries to do this, the entire traffic will go for a toss..

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 12:14   #1573
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,189 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

^^ Totally agree.
This very thread was started in 2007 and since then this is the third such circus

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 12:16   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,702
Thanked: 3,893 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Given of course that we live in a hot sunny climate and do require protection from UV radiation, to say nothing of the increased efficiency of the air conditioning and by extension, improved fuel efficiency?
Personally I shall wait a bit before ripping that film off.
I guess the Yeti already have tinted windows. Is there any mention on the VLT – on the glass, or in the manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I totally disagree. My wife drives our Ikon to work and back occasionally, and being in the IT sector catering to US and European clients, there are many days when she has to return back after sunset. Ask a woman in that situation if she would prefer being in a car without tints or with them. Therein lies the answer! Let's not underestimate that with comparing this to women travelling on 2 wheelers. Also, i disagree with the part about it being safer in the south. A quick look at the muggings in Bangalore thread can dispel many such misconceptions.
Agree with your comment that it’s a misconception about south being safer. But I am not fully convinced with the idea of having sun-films for safety. For e.g.; in the Bangalore mugging thread, there are cases were the victim is held up in the car, and been driven around to withdraw cash from various ATMs. In those cases, transparent glass may work as a deterrent for the muggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
It is not about South or North or East or West India. I have seen this in almost all parts of the Country - People on two wheelers or on Roads literally peep in a Car when they see a single woman driving the Car. If the lady is attractive (I understand that is subjective) & wearing a modern outfit she will mostly invite a lewd comment or dirty look.
Yes, and the said dirty looks / lewd comments etc. are problems with the society. Asking all women to travel in cars with dark tinted glasses may not be the ideal solution to remediate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But in my opinion this drive is just temporary & after couple of months I am sure everyone will forget everything. This has happened in past & will continue happening in future also.
Now with so many people already on the film-removal drive, I hope the law does not get abandoned or reversed. A reasonable amendment would be nice – to define permissible VLT, irrespective of whether the vehicle have sun-film installed or not.
vb-san is offline  
Old 15th May 2012, 12:22   #1575
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 3,310 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

. However for any of us travelling out of city / other states will have to follow the rule since wasting time on a drive pleading with cops regarding sun films is not going to help anything.
Even though this ban came in few weeks back I have seen few cities where police used to stop vehicles with sun film and fine / get it removed. During a trip to Guwahati in 2005 start I remember vehicles stopped at a police check post and sun films been torn out. Same way my friend who was on a Kerala -Manali drive in 2007 was stopped somewhere on a highway in UP and asked to peel off sun film after paying a fine of 500 rs or so.
mpksuhas is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess neeld The Indian Car Scene 411 28th September 2017 00:17
Supreme Court bans pressure / musical / multi-sound Horns darklord The Indian Car Scene 29 20th July 2016 18:25
Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40) v1p3r The Indian Car Scene 713 19th January 2013 18:31
Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country gauravdgr8 Shifting gears 26 17th October 2012 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:46.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks