Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2012, 13:14   #181
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

If only they could come up with an online list of habitual sex offenders and other criminals that was readily accessible to the police and they remove tints only from those cars belonging to such people after verification, then innocent citizens would be saved the trouble and harassment that this ruling is going to generate.

But then this is India and every night I go to sleep without the hope of a better tomorrow and probably that is the reason why such decisions are passed everyday at the expense of the peace of mind of ordinary citizens.

Have the authorities provided enough lux meters to the police that every offense is rightly challaned? Hell they didnt even provide proper speed checkers or even blood alcohol meters to each and every policeman and people are being challaned by the officers by their own judgement of how much is permissible. Similarly its going to be the same with sun films too. Just see how you feel when you have to rush to some place or a relative is in emergency and the officer makes you stand on the middle of the road and take off your sun films whereas youve got other important places to be.

Somedays back during the craze of Anna Hazare movement we heard the phrase from politicians "this is democracy and not an anarchy." but bills are just being made and passed these days. Where is the due process of democracy in that?!

Sooner we are going to have to shift to public transport cause who knows driving 4 wheelers may someday become illegal too if this trend continues. I know my words sound ridiculous, but hasnt everything else become ridiculous these days??!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 28th April 2012 at 13:17.
Parthasarathig is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 13:18   #182
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

How is this changing anything? If anything there will be drives by the Police in the major cities for a couple of weeks, after which stuff should go back to normal. At least I'm hoping, since I don't have 50% on any of my cars

But I think the reason is completely stupid, because that chap had 25 cases in a country of 2 billion, that is not enough to ban dark tints citing crime as the reason.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 13:38   #183
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
How is this changing anything? If anything there will be drives by the Police in the major cities for a couple of weeks, after which stuff should go back to normal. At least I'm hoping, since I don't have 50% on any of my cars

But I think the reason is completely stupid, because that chap had 25 cases in a country of 2 billion, that is not enough to ban dark tints citing crime as the reason.
Wish people were as sensible. Even after this rapes will continue to happen, men will continue to blame the woman for being immodestly dressed and the vicious cycle will keep running.

The hypocrisy of the Indian society never stops to amaze me even for a day. Ive personally faced numerous character judgemental type of questions from people who themselves arent of a very shiny character. Ive been stopped in broad daylight and made to get down from my car and asked why am i with a girl to whom im not married and whatnot. But that was just plain harassment because of the sun film and that was long back.

I dont wish to face the same problems again which this ruling is going to bring.so how are the authorities going to take care of citizens like us and also bring down crime rates at the same time.
I dont see it happening in the near future if this trend continues and the ordinary man will continue to suffer while criminals and habitual offenders continue to have a field day.
Parthasarathig is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 14:07   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Most of us have tints that fall within the new norms set by the Supreme Court, except the rear windscreen.

The rear in most cases will be 50% VLT, just like the windows, as one normally goes for the rear and windows at the same time with the same tint roll. It is only few that have tints on the front windscreen, but even then that will not be 70% VLT, as one cannot see well if it is darker than that.

So does this mean most of us will have to replace the rear windscreen's tint? And what about those having curtains or foldable curtains like the Linea T-Jet and Skoda Superb?
vnabhi is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 14:09   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 74
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Mothers with babies should always sit on the backseat (for safety reasons).

Maybe you should buy that net like sun shade (I hope you have seen it/use it) for temporary use.
They always sit at the back, but in congested traffic, its really not that easy.

Regarding the net, yes, thats something we need to look for, even i was thinking of the same.
manojmis is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 14:28   #186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,062
Thanked: 15,603 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Any links or newspaper articles with the exact wording of the Order?
Here is the article from TOI

Quote:
NEW DELHI: From May 4, if your car has black film on the front and rear windscreens that blocks light by more than 30% and the tint on the side window panes is more than 50%, then you could be in contempt of court in addition to being prosecuted as per the rules provided under the Motor Vehicles Act.
No illegal tinted glass in cars from May 4: Supreme Court - The Times of India
volkman10 is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 15:53   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Delhi HC lifts ban on using tinted glass on four-wheelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
As per TOI reported, the cars should come with Front-back 70% or less, and 50% VMT for side glasses from the factory itself and any alteration with glasses using films are banned. Then what happens to those cars which comes with normal glasses? There should be more to this verdict and if the whole verdict is not in public domain then its unwanted harrasments coming to us in near future(Yes I have films on my car and those are all 70% VMT, only leaving front one as normal).
TOI as usual at its confusing best. As per my understanding the SC ruling is forcing for the implementation of the VLT rule as CMVR. If your films are within the limit, I don't see why you should have any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
If government can assure that crimes are happening in only cars with tint and no where else this would have been justified. But Majority of the crimes seem to happen at homes, offices, other public places more than cars. Morons who cannot create a secure environment can only make such ridiculous policies.

How are people able to evaluate things so irrationally.
I don't understand what are you on about. The Visual Light Transmission rule as been there in CMVR 1989 since beginning. And you are supposed to follow it. As a matter of fact if you do over night long distances, you'll realise how painful even a 50% VLT film on the sides is. And if it rains, the problem gets compounded multiple times.

I don't use any film on any of my cars.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 17:51   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,521
Thanked: 2,253 Times
Default Re: Delhi HC lifts ban on using tinted glass on four-wheelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Reviving an old thread to add a Supreme Court ruling about tinted films:

Article link.
This ruling is also being discussed here
Dry Ice is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 19:18   #189
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,162
Thanked: 3,757 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

I fail to understand that what is new about it. They have just reiterated the law.

Unfortunately (in my view) the White Marias are exempt. This is the most 'parda nashin' lot in India, mafia glasses + curtains.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 20:00   #190
BHPian
 
fast&furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 163
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Ya there's nothing new in it.
White Marias?! Politicians?

Couple of guys earlier said that it's not gonna change anything. I just don't understand what they're saying.

1)When you know that someone standing outside can see what you are doing, who would do something illegal? It will definitely bring down the no. of crimes.

2)It's not just the cops who can act. We civilians can too. Suppose you see a lady being attacked in a car. What would you do? Just sit in your car and look around for cops? No! You can report it to the Police or can even do something yourself. It's not possible if a car has 5% films on it because you wont be able to see anything.

In many ways, this is a very welcome move.
fast&furious is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 20:36   #191
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post

2)It's not just the cops who can act. We civilians can too. Suppose you see a lady being attacked in a car. What would you do? Just sit in your car and look around for cops? No! You can report it to the Police or can even do something yourself. It's not possible if a car has 5% films on it because you wont be able to see anything.

In many ways, this is a very welcome move.
No doubt, but is this something that happens often? How many cases have you heard of besides a few in Delhi? Just for those do you ban dart tints in the full country?
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 28th April 2012, 21:39   #192
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious
Ya there's nothing new in it.
White Marias?! Politicians?

Couple of guys earlier said that it's not gonna change anything. I just don't understand what they're saying.

1)When you know that someone standing outside can see what you are doing, who would do something illegal? It will definitely bring down the no. of crimes.

2)It's not just the cops who can act. We civilians can too. Suppose you see a lady being attacked in a car. What would you do? Just sit in your car and look around for cops? No! You can report it to the Police or can even do something yourself. It's not possible if a car has 5% films on it because you wont be able to see anything.

In many ways, this is a very welcome move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

No doubt, but is this something that happens often? How many cases have you heard of besides a few in Delhi? Just for those do you ban dart tints in the full country?
Quite right akshay1234.

Everyone wants to be the one to save the damsel in distress or thats what they may assume.
crimes against women are happening in broad daylight in buses metros and all other forms of public transport. In all sorts of work environments. Yet the four wheeler guy has to bear the brunt of all that is happening which may not be his fault.

Having lived in delhi, i know the problems that women go through everyday. And hardly have i heard anything about that related to cars except one incident with a maruti 800 where the lady was driven around delhi and gangraped and also another incident where a bartender got raped by a cab driver. But that happened near chatarpur farms are i think. But then all that happened near lonely areas and certainly not near crowded areas.

The thing is, like the "slut walk" campaign says, noone will rape a skimpily clad girl in a busy market(unless its some shady shop in palika bazaar) but even a saree wearing girl in a lonely avenue will get raped. Place and opportunity are the two things that will lead a man to take advantage of a woman.

Since in broad daylight this may not happen lets not create such a situation that inconveniences the innocent motorist. Rape happened in a car not because of its tints but because of the time and opportunity. Thats the psychology of a rapist. If you dont believe me do check out so many of the sites that offer help to rape victims. You'd get a clear idea.

No matter how many security systems you put in your car a thief will find out a way to steal what he has to. Thats his daily bread earner. He has to evolve to survive. Similarly please donot think crimes against women will stop if we remove tints. They can as well happen in nearby jungles and other lonely areas too but then would we cut our trees to prevent the crimes taking place there too? Now wouldnt that be ridiculous.

Also if you say this is gonna stop terrorist, please do remember that the parliament attack happened by the terrorists infiltrating it in a tinted window MPs car.

So lets also try to make our politicians cars tintless and transparent even if we cannot make our political processes corruption free and transparent. :wink

Lets face it. The tints already provided in the vehicles glasses dont do a commendable job of blocking out the sun and heat do they? 10% VLT sunfilms wont be of much use in the Indian weather conditions. I myself have 20% tints and its of no use in Bangalore weather. If they did then sun films wouldnt sell at all. Sun film is thus a necessary evil. 99.9% of the population will use it to block out the heat and keep themselves cool and the 0.1% may use it with criminal intent.

This debate, relating to crimes in tinted cars, is somewhat similar to the use of internet i feel. One can do lot of useful work on the net whereas many people will use it for downloading pornography. Then shouldnt we block internet access in our country too cause now even netas seem to have found out that use of the net, the knowledge of which they rather publicly displayed, or got caught viewing, during assembly sessions.

Coming to the other part, how is a policeman without a lux meter going to assess whether a tint is above the permissible limit or not? A member few days back posted how he was charged with overspeeding even though the police hadnt captured his car with the speed gun. The cop only assumed he was overspeeding. He got challaned unnecesarily. So dont you feel if a cop assumes on his own that some tint is darker than the limit yet if it actually isnt, he is bound to make a mistake, right?

P.s how about a teamBHP partnership with the traffic police department helping them to understand the intricacies of sun films and other motorvehicles related issues? That would save us some challans wouldnt it. Would do a lot of good actually. Boosting friendly ties between citizen and legal authorities. How many of us has ever offered a glass of water or any refreshments to the traffic cop who stands all day in the sun doing his job thanklessly.

Sorry for the long post and if i may have gone
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 23:29   #193
BHPian
 
fast&furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 163
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No doubt, but is this something that happens often? How many cases have you heard of besides a few in Delhi? Just for those do you ban dart tints in the full country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Quite right akshay1234.


crimes against women are happening in broad daylight in buses metros and all other forms of public transport. In all sorts of work environments. Yet the four wheeler guy has to bear the brunt of all that is happening which may not be his fault.



Since in broad daylight this may not happen lets not create such a situation that inconveniences the innocent motorist. Rape happened in a car not because of its tints but because of the time and opportunity. Thats the psychology of a rapist. If you dont believe me do check out so many of the sites that offer help to rape victims. You'd get a clear idea.

No matter how many security systems you put in your car a thief will find out a way to steal what he has to. Thats his daily bread earner. He has to evolve to survive. Similarly please donot think crimes against women will stop if we remove tints. They can as well happen in nearby jungles and other lonely areas too but then would we cut our trees to prevent the crimes taking place there too? Now wouldnt that be ridiculous.

Also if you say this is gonna stop terrorist, please do remember that the parliament attack happened by the terrorists infiltrating it in a tinted window MPs car.

Lets face it. The tints already provided in the vehicles glasses dont do a commendable job of blocking out the sun and heat do they? 10% VLT sunfilms wont be of much use in the Indian weather conditions. I myself have 20% tints and its of no use in Bangalore weather. If they did then sun films wouldnt sell at all. Sun film is thus a necessary evil.

Coming to the other part, how is a policeman without a lux meter going to assess whether a tint is above the permissible limit or not? A member few days back posted how he was charged with overspeeding even though the police hadnt captured his car with the speed gun. The cop only assumed he was overspeeding. He got challaned unnecesarily. So dont you feel if a cop assumes on his own that some tint is darker than the limit yet if it actually isnt, he is bound to make a mistake, right?
Aren't we seeing it a bit too narrowly? It's not just the attack on women, but many other not so good/illegal incidents can occur inside a car.

Before I continue this anymore let me tell you I too have problems with this but nothing so big that can compel me to write an essay like post. I would like to know what kind of serious inconvenience people suffer because of this restriction. I just wish to know why you oppose this rule soo much! Ya I'm very surprised to see this kinda response. Because like sgiitk said, there's nothing new about it and nothing serious either. Manojmis made a very good point but there seems to be a solution even for that. In New York the VLT should be 70%. A lot of things that are considered taboo in India are not so in the US but still they have this rule because it has several other purposes. You cant compare the situation in India and the US but I'm just saying.

Not everyone is willing to buy an expensive semi-transparent film which offers v.good heat rejection. I do understand that. But 50% films should offer decent heat rejection and we will see such films getting cheaper in the future. Because of this law, most manufacturers will stop the production of the darker ones and will increase the production of the 50% ones. Increase in production = decrease in price.

Ya, charging someone for over speeding without any device or proof is indeed a very bad practice and it should be stopped. Same is the case with tints. But I think it's a little easier. Just look from outside. If you can't see anything, charge him, otherwise let him go. Simple na?

And who said this is going to stop the attack on women. We're making it more difficult for the criminals. That's all.

To me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Btw, I do feel for the guys who have dark films already installed on their cars. Re-tinting is not easy and even the guys @ Toyota told me once to use 15% films.
fast&furious is offline  
Old 29th April 2012, 09:30   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,677
Thanked: 1,025 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Guys,
Below are a couple of pics of my car.I am not sure if the visibility is upto norm for the film but i do not have films on the front and the rear.The film's kind of reflective and you can see the inside only from certain angles and light conditions.

Please let me know if i should change the film.I will take your word for it as i can't decide for myself.

thanks

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-photo0436.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-photo0437.jpg
sumeethaldankar is online now  
Old 29th April 2012, 09:42   #195
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,162
Thanked: 3,757 Times
Default Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

sumeet; They look quite Ok to me. I think they are hardly noticeable.
sgiitk is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess neeld The Indian Car Scene 411 28th September 2017 00:17
Supreme Court bans pressure / musical / multi-sound Horns darklord The Indian Car Scene 29 20th July 2016 18:25
Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40) v1p3r The Indian Car Scene 713 19th January 2013 18:31
Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country gauravdgr8 Shifting gears 26 17th October 2012 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks