Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 15:14   #2011
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

^^ The way I look at it is - BTP manages traffic in Bangalore on the whole, they are not necessarily restricted to managing only KA registered vehicles here. By penalizing non-KA vehicles before June 6th and giving time for locals to get films removed, the rule is actually absurd. Going by the logic of the ruling (to prevent crime), does this mean KA registered vehicles can either be used for "criminal" activities or are considered ultra-safe, law-abiding citizens until 6th June, while non-KA vehicles are considered to be potential threats immediately? If they start collecting the penalty, better to do it uniformly from one date for all vehicles, rather than inflict step-motherly treatment till then.

We can't have newspapers mentioning the extension in the date to June 6th on one side, and traffic police catching non-KA vehicles off guard and saying the extension is only for KA vehicles, on the other side. There needs to be a proper clarification / communication on such things.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th May 2012 at 15:27.
KarthikK is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 15:29   #2012
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,189 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Slightly OT, people normally forget the grief once they get something nice to cheer-up. In this case, it’s the other way around. A bigger pain came up (in the form of Petrol price hike), and suddenly the sun-film agony started to look trivial. This thread has a sudden drop in action after the price hike announcement
As a matter of fact, both are related, in a way. Remove sun film, use more AC, lesser milage, more petrol consumption, expensive fuel, bigger hole in the wallet

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 15:32   #2013
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

No action being taken in Hyderabad as of now. I don't care even if they stop me some day and remove my all black tints on all glasses. I made my mind and I'm prepared. I'm ready with curtains :-P
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 15:45   #2014
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
^^ The way I look at it is - BTP manages traffic in Bangalore on the whole, they are not necessarily restricted to managing only KA registered vehicles here. By penalizing non-KA vehicles before June 6th and giving time for locals to get films removed, the rule is actually absurd. Going by the logic of the ruling (to prevent crime), does this mean KA registered vehicles can either be used for "criminal" activities or are considered ultra-safe, law-abiding citizens until 6th June, while non-KA vehicles are considered to be potential threats immediately? If they start collecting the penalty, better to do it uniformly from one date for all vehicles, rather than inflict step-motherly treatment till then.

We can't have newspapers mentioning the extension in the date to June 6th on one side, and traffic police catching non-KA vehicles off guard and saying the extension is only for KA vehicles, on the other side. There needs to be a proper clarification / communication on such things.
It may have 2 agenda, as other states have not given any timelines, so the rule is actually implemented from 4th May, so BTP is within its own limits to fine them, and other point is to check non-KA registered cars, who are avoiding road tax and staying in KA.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 15:58   #2015
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Interpretation of the law is with connection to the spirit of law. Don't do word by word interpretation. The intention of the law by an enactment is the first and foremost thing .
If tints are the only constraint, i do not see a reason why films like 3M CR70 are banned. They dont block any view. One can clearly see the occupants from outside
scopriobharath is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 16:10   #2016
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I will be buying those black cotton window stick ons if I've to remove sunfilm. I will wait till Supreme Court bans those and I will invest in window curtains. When those are banned, I will seal the windows completely.

The order is meaningless. Is it wrong to collectively defy a stupid order?
devarshi84 is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 16:13   #2017
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 332
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Just removed the sunfilms from my car. It doesn't looks good and lost my privacy as well.
Jebs is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 16:22   #2018
BHPian
 
siddheshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Panaji
Posts: 442
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

No action in Pune last week or so... and I have run across many cops and officers in the interim. Off to Goa for a few days, and hopefully, I will not have any problems on the way!
siddheshb is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 16:28   #2019
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,189 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

70% MIN Transparency (of the glass) X 70% VLT (of the film) theoretically make 49%, which is not legal. But have you tested it practically? When 2 surfaces are joined together the VLR of the second surface will not be as high as if it was the only surface and hence increasing the VLT. My point is, please test using a lux meter (available on ebay.in for 1-2k) how far the theoretical calculation holds true.
Could you please post a link to the product? I searched high and low on ebay.in, but am unable to find any such device for 1-2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

BTW, here's one of my cars with illegal films at night, as per some novice unsubstantiated theoretical calculations, this is 49% VLT and by that logic 24% VLT pass through the car.
Here is where that novice resides. And they seem to be manufacturing these meters as well as training law enforcement officers.

Thanks,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 16:35   #2020
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Yes, This was happened exactly 6:50 P.M. Actually, I used to maintain right lane to escape from them. But this time, they caught me when i just came out from the tollbooth. I had no other way to stop.

Today, I gave my car to BOSCH service centre, Vadapalani to peel off sunfilms to avoid further fines. Because, to my enroute (with less traffic) cops always waiting for.
Hi Jebs,

How much did it cost to remove the sunfilm at Bosch service center? My friend got it removed at GP road for Rs. 200. They use a paper cutter knife to remove it and then clean the windshield with glass cleaner. Do they do the same procedure at Bosch or is it something more professional?

-r
ramv is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 17:12   #2021
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,580
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

The order is meaningless. Is it wrong to collectively defy a stupid order?
Non co operation movement? Its seems right after many years, not at that time.
srishiva is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 17:14   #2022
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I will be buying those black cotton window stick ons if I've to remove sunfilm. I will wait till Supreme Court bans those and I will invest in window curtains. When those are banned, I will seal the windows completely.

The order is meaningless. Is it wrong to collectively defy a stupid order?
If you go through the order SC has mentioned
Quote:
" 23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible."
So don't waste on curtains, get some Petrol/Diesel.

Last edited by asdon : 24th May 2012 at 17:16.
asdon is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 17:24   #2023
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,700
Thanked: 2,119 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
No action in Pune last week or so... and I have run across many cops and officers in the interim. Off to Goa for a few days, and hopefully, I will not have any problems on the way!
happy holidays, bring back some petrol for us. or at least the winds that reduce tax on petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
No action being taken in Hyderabad as of now. I don't care even if they stop me some day and remove my all black tints on all glasses. I made my mind and I'm prepared. I'm ready with curtains :-P
This is what I intend to do. Er, am doing!
selfdrive is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 17:28   #2024
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Guys

Are the Traffic dept/RTO the only cops allowed to penalize vehicles for tints? I mean if a brown shirted regular cop out on a bribe hunt decides to rake up a list of offences and starts talking about my tints, Can I tell him to FO ..?

--R
Ragul is offline  
Old 24th May 2012, 17:34   #2025
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

Are the Traffic dept/RTO the only cops allowed to penalize vehicles for tints? I mean if a brown shirted regular cop out on a bribe hunt decides to rake up a list of offences and starts talking about my tints, Can I tell him to FO ..?

--R
It's a law & order issue so you can't tell any cops that word who will be checking for tints.
asdon is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess neeld The Indian Car Scene 411 28th September 2017 00:17
Supreme Court bans pressure / musical / multi-sound Horns darklord The Indian Car Scene 29 20th July 2016 18:25
Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40) v1p3r The Indian Car Scene 713 19th January 2013 18:31
Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country gauravdgr8 Shifting gears 26 17th October 2012 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks