Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2012, 15:56   #2686
BHPian

Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I guess most of us here use sunglasses while driving. You know what's the VLT of most sunglasses including the green-gray Ray Ban Aviators? 12-16%. The darker ones have VLT as low as 8%. Why none of those are considered suicidal. Agree not many use sunglasses after sundown, but then what's the difference between between 15%VLT sunglasses in daylight and 50% VLT sunfilm in night.
Great point.
But I don't think most of us here at tbhp wear sunglasses while driving, on a daily basis. Even on the highways I rarely see people driving with sunglasses on. Btw, driving glasses/sunglasses are available in the market. One shouldn't use the regular ones while driving.

And I believe it's something that the driver himself should decide. If he's not able to see, he should stop using it for his own safety. And IIRC the increasing no. crimes inside tinted cars is what prompted the SC to ban sunfilms.
Old 14th June 2012, 16:22   #2687
BHPian

Default Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
the second picture would have been even more apt if the 15% VLT was applied over a car window (eg. if we were cops trying to look in from the bright outside).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
And IIRC the increasing no. crimes inside tinted cars is what prompted the SC to ban sunfilms.
Yes, the view from outside to inside was the 'unfortunate' logic of the Indian court.
My post was to those arguments here in this thread that, "only those who aren't bothered about safety of others will have sunflms in cars".
I wanted to highlight that upto a certain limit (guess 35% VLT as followed by some western countries) the aperture of the eye compensates for loss in luminance by increasing it's pupil size. Another thing which i read on the internet is having some tint or sunfilm is actually better for 'day-vision' than having clear glass, because sometimes the sunlight becomes too much for the human eye to handle and we momentarily close our eyes, like when the sun reflects of a sedan's rear glass or from a metallic white paint. It seems the prevalance of dark glasses in visor of the F1 drivers, pilots,etc is too due to this factor.

Last edited by Daewood : 14th June 2012 at 16:24.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 16:26   #2688
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

In 180 pages, whatever needed to be said on the SC verdict has already been. To avoid the discussion from going around in circles, I'm closing this thread.