Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2011, 12:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhileshgrover View Post
Saw RTO jeep in front of Meenakshi temple on Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore stopping out of state cars and challaning them. Some of the cars were around a decade old, but nevertheless, they were all stopped and possibly challaned.
I saw them stopping other states cars near Nice Road - Bannerghatta road as well.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 00:58   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

If you have any doubts as to how the process goes, feel free to ask me, i'll be glad to help you out...
I'm sorry for putting this up on the thread, but I'm a newbie and I can't PM you. Could you please contact me at aprao@bajajauto.co.in, I need this exact same information from you!

@Mods: If you could contact fiat_tarun for me and then knock off this message, I'd be more than happy.
raneesao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:26   #123
BHPian

please suggest:

i see myself moving out of Mumbai (and out of country) in next 5-6 months; i have a '02 OHC which i would be reluctant to sell. one option i have is to move the car to my parents (in Jalandhar, PB) or to my brother (Chandigarh, PB) and they may use it for local commute once sometimes.

does anyone has an idea about the approximate amount i'd have to shell towards paying PB road tax (depreciated) and registration? i know that for new vehicles it is the 2% of the invoice (according to DTO website) but what about re-registration cases like mine? Cost of vehicle when bought new was approx. 10L OTR (if i remember correctly).

Last edited by infotech58 : 30th November 2011 at 14:28.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 02:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
please suggest:

i see myself moving out of Mumbai (and out of country) in next 5-6 months; i have a '02 OHC which i would be reluctant to sell. one option i have is to move the car to my parents (in Jalandhar, PB) or to my brother (Chandigarh, PB) and they may use it for local commute once sometimes.

does anyone has an idea about the approximate amount i'd have to shell towards paying PB road tax (depreciated) and registration? i know that for new vehicles it is the 2% of the invoice (according to DTO website) but what about re-registration cases like mine? Cost of vehicle when bought new was approx. 10L OTR (if i remember correctly).
My friend had a 2002 Vtec transferred from TN to KA back in 2006/7. IIRC, he had to shell out close to 30k for the re-registration and applied for a refund of the LTT paid here in TN. I am not sure if he got it back, but he should.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:43   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
My friend had a 2002 Vtec transferred from TN to KA back in 2006/7. IIRC, he had to shell out close to 30k for the re-registration and applied for a refund of the LTT paid here in TN. I am not sure if he got it back, but he should.
Thanks for replying. Going by your friend's experience, looks like I would have to shell out 12-15k for re-registration in Punjab. I'm trying to get in touch with an Agent there through my cousin to get a quote; I'll post my experience here once I move forward.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:51   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i know that for new vehicles it is the 2% of the invoice (according to DTO website) but what about re-registration cases like mine? Cost of vehicle when bought new was approx. 10L OTR (if i remember correctly).
Man, 2% is dirt cheap, go ahead and do it. Here in TN it varies from 6% to 8.75% for old cars. Here is the link
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Man, 2% is dirt cheap, go ahead and do it. Here in TN it varies from 6% to 8.75% for old cars. Here is the link
2% is for new cars; and that is a BIG advantage in North. Here is the link for Punjab DTO fee and tax details: Fees & Taxes - Department of Transport, Punjab Government
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:14   #128
BHPian

Quote:
please suggest:

While you may like to pay 2% road tax for your peace of mind, but actually you can live without it. Here in north, Police/RTO are not much bothered about out of state cars.
kamboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
While you may like to pay 2% road tax for your peace of mind, but actually you can live without it. Here in north, Police/RTO are not much bothered about out of state cars.
Absolutely true. I have, for many months, driven my MH registered cars in NCR and in Punjab without any issues. I started to think about re-registration only because while I would leave the car with my parents, I myself would be away for couple of years and so just do not want to take unnecessary risk and getting peace of mind by paying 12-15k is worth it.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true. I have, for many months, driven my MH registered cars in NCR and in Punjab without any issues. I started to think about re-registration only because while I would leave the car with my parents, I myself would be away for couple of years and so just do not want to take unnecessary risk and getting peace of mind by paying 12-15k is worth it.
Please do spend that money and get your car legally present there, more than the money, some efforts need to be made, so please do that, so that your parents do not have to face any problems because of that when you are not around.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:02   #131

Quote:
please suggest:

or to my brother (Chandigarh, PB) and they may use it for local commute once sometimes.
I'd suggest you move it to Chandigarh registration instead of Punjab. As far as I am aware Chandigarh continues to have a flat rate charge of some 4500 rupees or so and not a percentage based charge like most other states.
Arion003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 23:26   #132
BHPian

Default Refund (on prorata basis) of road tax after 3yrs

HI All -

I moved from Delhi to Hyderabad & paid road tax (in 2009) for a 3 yr old car @ Hyderabad RTO (without changing car regn number)
During shifting from Delhi, I didn't deposit RC to get NOC from Delhi RTO.
Now, if I'm shifting from Hyderabad to Mumbai, is there any way to file for the refund of lifetime road tax (on prorata basis) paid @ Hyderabad RTO in 2009?
If yes, what's the rule & way to do it?

Thanks
rendezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 07:48   #133
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Refund (on prorata basis) of road tax after 3yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous View Post
HI All -
I moved from Delhi to Hyderabad & paid road tax (in 2009) for a 3 yr old car @ Hyderabad RTO (without changing car regn number)
During shifting from Delhi, I didn't deposit RC to get NOC from Delhi RTO.
Now, if I'm shifting from Hyderabad to Mumbai, is there any way to file for the refund of lifetime road tax (on prorata basis) paid @ Hyderabad RTO in 2009?
Thanks
AFAIK you cannot get the refund. The RTO in Hyderabad will claim that in the absence of NOC from Delhi, the car was not in Hyderabad as per their records. If you want to claim the refund you will have to get the NOC from Delhi, complete the re-registration to AP. Once you get the AP number you will have to apply from NOC for transfer the vehicle back to Delhi. Once you get the NOC from AP you may approach for a refund.

You might a well forget this money as there are way too many hassles.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 08:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Refund (on prorata basis) of road tax after 3yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous View Post
HI All -

Thanks
As KPS has mentioned you can refund the road rax only when the car is re-registered.

1) Get NOC from Delhi and Re-register the car in Hyderabad. Now you can refund the road tax paid in Delhi.
2) Once the above process is done then you will have to pay road tax in Mumbai, get NOC from Hyderabad Re-register the car in Mumbai so that you can refund the tax paid in hyderabad

(OR)

Directly get NOC to Mumbai, pay road tax in Mumbai, Re-register the car in Mumbai so that you can refund the tax paid in Delhi. If you are doing this then you can't get refund from Hyderabad.

It is easier than done.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 02:25   #135
BHPian

Thanks KPS & arun_josie

Through all the information mentioned, it looks like it'll take months to get refund (& it'll be minimal amount not worth the pain/hassles to go thru)
So better keep shut & just keep paying to govt every time one shifts..
rendezvous is offline   Reply With Quote