Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th May 2007, 23:56   #16
BHPian

About Delhi and NCR as we most of us know it has more vehicles than rest of the 3 metros combined.

The traffic condition is really really bad, as more and more flyovers are coming up it's just the bottleneck which shifts from one place to the other though the flyovers have definitely helped.

Does anone know the number of new cars being added to Delhi roads everyday? (I don't)

1 place I think has the best traffic management is Chandigarh because of the way it's planned. Correct me if I'm wrong..
compenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
All I can say is I'll start walking!
And also lose some weight along the way and start living a healthy life-style again. I am with you mate..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 12:04   #18
BHPian

Ha Ha.. And on top of it, companies like Tata are launching the Rs 1-Lakh car.. There is an elaborate discussion on that thread.. Which can probably merged into this thread..

Good to know that besides me, a few other people are also concerned about the car-density in the country.. But then there are people who worry about social equality and injustice.. and who may not quite like the idea..

The fact is that the green-cover in our metros is almost non-existent and our metros in india have been reduced to a concrete jungle full of pollution and poisonous gases..

Who Cares ??
Old 18th May 2007, 21:21   #19
BHPian

Politicians don't have enough sense to make this happen. They could develop older areas of cities as heritage areas, and keep the older, British or Mughal era architecture, and maybe have brick roads since there won't be cars. They should also have public restrooms, since malls have them. Maybe some locker facility as well.

In the long term, more and more people are going to have cars, but as they get richer, the population growth will slow down, as it has in all countries.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
In the long term, more and more people are going to have cars, but as they get richer, the population growth will slow down, as it has in all countries.
How do you justify population growth slowing down with people getting richer?? :-)
Old 8th July 2007, 02:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is this some sort of a precursor:

Iran bans petrol only cars,first Iran started a ration scheme for petrol i.e. you could only fill X number of litres per month and now cars fueled by petrol only shall not be produced instead cars must run on dual fuels.

OT:
Could not help but add this bit here,toyota seems to have predicted this scenario worldwide actually and they seem to be in the best position if world over you would have to switch over to hybrids in a few years time.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 02:45   #22
BHPian

Unhappy

pune - my parents tell me, the authorities stopped the mg road walking plaza stuff since the last few sundays.

Also i remember bangalore used to be garden city - suddenly i see the remaining few trees also being cut off for the metro stuff (mg road and OMR last i realised trees were gone) and really don't see em being planted anywhere else. When I moved to bangalore 2 yrs back I remember the pollution smells felt like there was some lpg gas leakage, i dont think its reduced, maybe my nose got used to it, but its only gonna increase more-so with the trees gone
We'll destroy ourselves way before global warming hits the other parts of the world.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 16:47   #23

Default try this for a change.

try coming to a place in kerala called cochin. im sure you'd wish you were dead rather than driving here at peak hours.
thealtoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 19:58   #24
LLL
BHPian

you cant do away with cars or private transport till public transport can cater to people's needs.

Public transport has to compete with comfort/flexibility/safety offered by a private vehicle to convince people to move away from cars.

It takes me 30 mins to travel from my home to office in an AC car and i end up spending 100 bucks one way. If i can travel in similar comfort in less than 100 rs, i will switch. Who wants to travel in a hot overcrowded bus, surrounded by pickpockets or eve-teasers?? So i dont see cars going anywhere.

In addition, there is a move to CNG, which is supposed to be greener, but that is driven by cost considerations rather than environment. Here govt can step in...e.g. make it mandatory for cars to have CNG kits, ensure easy availability of CNG, make all cars adhere to a minimum FE standards.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote