Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:15   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 198
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How do you register on your relatives address? The address proof must state your name on it.
Hey Sahil,

You can get it done via the NAP(No Address Proof) option.No proof required via this route.Basically what he meant was,rather than giving a fake address(which many people do) its a little better to give the genuine address of a relative who lives there.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Hey Sahil,

You can get it done via the NAP(No Address Proof) option.No proof required via this route.Basically what he meant was,rather than giving a fake address(which many people do) its a little better to give the genuine address of a relative who lives there.
Is NAP legal? Every agent asks for proper proof these days. Or else pay the bribe and get a fake address, which is not advisable.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:28   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 198
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is NAP legal? Every agent asks for proper proof these days. Or else pay the bribe and get a fake address, which is not advisable.
Yup it must be legal,else why would the RTO have such an option?
Btw I have asked many agents and they all themselves suggest this route to save on the nonsense of octroi.Have seen many people doing this.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:36   #19
BHPian
 
Ash-NewCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey Guys..

The RTO is getting very strict these days.. A friend is a RTO Officer and tells me that soon they will have all licenses as samrt cards and then they wil upgarde the machinery to catch these funny people with no address proof or sidey proffs doen through agents etc...


Better use a relative's address in Pune/Thane etc or pay up... its only around 20 K diff but atleast you will have peace of mind..
Ash-NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:37   #20
BHPian
 
Anthym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 187
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I was facing a similar situation when I bought a second hand Santro last month. The car was Thane registered and I had a Mumbai address.
A lot of RTO agents / dealers advised me aganist paying the octroi in Mumbai and fake a thane address.
But I went ahead and paid the octroi which comes to around 4-4.5% of the price of the car.
For me the following logic dictated:
- when I am already shelling out more than 2 lakhs as the price of the car, I can always pay the extra 10K. I rather hassle on the price of the car than the statuatory fees.
- In cases of claiming insurance, major accidents or reporting cases of theft etc where you will need to get into a legal tangle such as file a police FIR, it would be beneficial to have all the legal details in place - Be on the right side of the law when things matter
Anthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:33   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 198
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
Hey Guys..

The RTO is getting very strict these days.. A friend is a RTO Officer and tells me that soon they will have all licenses as samrt cards and then they wil upgarde the machinery to catch these funny people with no address proof or sidey proffs doen through agents etc...


Better use a relative's address in Pune/Thane etc or pay up... its only around 20 K diff but atleast you will have peace of mind..
I'd agree,atleast it gives you peace of mind.Although even my friends who have registered in Thane under phony addresses have not lost any sleep
And neither any money.Of course we all know how "fast" the RTO is at computerizing things.
IIRC there is a proposal in progress to ban the octroi for Mumbai as it is a prehistoric thing only followed here, nowhere else in the world.If that happens soon we'll see a huge queue for change in registration from Thane to Mumbai as long as the actual distance I'm sure
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:15   #22
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

If you are questioned and are not able to give a satisfactory answer then a hefty fine would be slapped on you. As far as I remember this is almost 10 times the octroi that one would have to pay. This will result in all the savings getting nullified in a jiffy.
Maverick1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:25   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How do you register on your relatives address? The address proof must state your name on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Hey Sahil,

You can get it done via the NAP(No Address Proof) option.No proof required via this route.Basically what he meant was,rather than giving a fake address(which many people do) its a little better to give the genuine address of a relative who lives there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Yup it must be legal,else why would the RTO have such an option?
Btw I have asked many agents and they all themselves suggest this route to save on the nonsense of octroi.Have seen many people doing this.
Its legal. For No address proof option they take 3500 bucks approximately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
If you are questioned and are not able to give a satisfactory answer then a hefty fine would be slapped on you. As far as I remember this is almost 10 times the octroi that one would have to pay. This will result in all the savings getting nullified in a jiffy.
Very long shot, I had a bhiwandi registered 800 in ghatkopar for 10 years, A bhiwandi registered sumo in ghatkopar for 12 years and now a bhiwandi registered swift since one and half months.
Once you get the permanent number they cant do anything. U have a relative/factory/house there so u registered it there, u are just going to your other house is the standard reply.

Offcourse if they catch the car at the octroi naka when its on temp registration and you are not able to furnish the octroi documents then you are in a soup but once registered, think only about having fun
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:08   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 198
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Its legal. For No address proof option they take 3500 bucks approximately.


Very long shot, I had a bhiwandi registered 800 in ghatkopar for 10 years, A bhiwandi registered sumo in ghatkopar for 12 years and now a bhiwandi registered swift since one and half months.
Once you get the permanent number they cant do anything. U have a relative/factory/house there so u registered it there, u are just going to your other house is the standard reply.

Offcourse if they catch the car at the octroi naka when its on temp registration and you are not able to furnish the octroi documents then you are in a soup but once registered, think only about having fun

+1 to that.Have had some cars in my friends/acquaintances circle run for years on fake addresses,been used extensively all over Mumbai with many outstation trips without a single hassle/fine.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 3rd February 2009 at 22:11.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 17:43   #25
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Dear all,

I see this is an old thread, butI have the exact same query. Only now the price differential has increased, I will be able to save 37,000 rupees if I register outside Mumbai.

As people have mentioned it is a risky affair messing with fake addresses, so I will only do it if there's a legal loophole like NAP (No Address Proof) available. If anyone has done this in the recent past, please let me know how I can too.

Regards.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:37   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Unhappy Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
As people have mentioned it is a risky affair messing with fake addresses, so I will only do it if there's a legal loophole like NAP (No Address Proof) available. If anyone has done this in the recent past, please let me know how I can too.
Thats not encouraged, not atleast on T-BHP forum.

The only legal loop hole is you have some time before the law catches you. But eventually it does. There have enquiries going on in Thane esp in my area when some RTO guys had been on rounds looking for such defaulters. If found, the penalty might be quite hefty too.
So take a call.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:45   #27
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The only legal loop hole is you have some time before the law catches you. But eventually it does. There have an enquiry going on in Thane esp in my area when some RTO guys had been on rounds looking for such defaulters. If found, the penalty might be quite hefty too.
So take a call.
Then it is much better to pay the tax and have peace of mind.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:50   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,195 Times
Default Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Absolutely not. IMHO you must always have your correct address on the registration, if only for the banal reason that the cops should be able to track you/your family down in case of any eventuality.

I'm glad that from all accounts the RTO is getting vigilant: these nonsense practices need to be ended once and for all.

I find the whole concept of differential taxing in areas of close proximity ridiculous. The entire Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai/ Pune/PCMC belt should be brought under one regime for automobile taxing purposes. Hell, it's the same state. Octroi is an obsolete concept and should be the first to go!

On a lighter note, I was the proud "homeowner" of a farmhouse in Panvel back in 2000 when my Accent was registered at MH-06 (Pen RTO). My DSA fake-addressed me to save on some money (no idea how much). Since I was living in Navi Mumbai anyway nobody ever stopped or questioned me!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 20:03   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Unhappy Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I find the whole concept of differential taxing in areas of close proximity ridiculous. The entire Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai/ Pune/PCMC belt should be brought under one regime for automobile taxing purposes. Hell, it's the same state. Octroi is an obsolete concept and should be the first to go!
+1 to that. The Octroi should be the first thing which needs to be removed. The Octroi check post is the breeding ground for all sorts of corrupt practices.
I hope this will be taken care during the implementation of GST where there will be one tax for all goods and services. Although the Municpal councils would not so easily allow their cash cows to disappear so fast.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:11   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 320
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Car Registration Mumbai v/s Thane

Octroi is a british legacy which needs to be done away with.
Its more of a entry/gunda tax or hafta just because bombay was the commercial capital put in place by the british.

The whole RTO thing or infact the address proof in Mumbai is total fraud meant to harass outsiders.

e.g. : I have a passport, Driving license, Company ID card, (letter from employer that i work with them) previous college ID card, but I was not given a sim card just because I did not have a local address proof. I had a couple of bank accounts in Mumbai address but thats not acceptable ( one can have bank accounts without local address proof though, there is no logic here)

Met a nice shopkeeper who after understanding my problem, gave a copy of his own electricity bill for my sim card. ( The vigilant people don't even match names there)

Now whenever somebody needs a sim card I give my electricity bill (in name of my landlord) and he gets a sim card.

They make you do wrong things

Now for car registration, I need more fraud douments because I don't have a house here ( How many people in Mumbai can afford a house or are sure about not moving out once they get a beter job elsewhere), an agent suggested that I get a landline at my rented house in may name & he'll get it done.

Simple solution: Buy your car in some other state where its hassle free ( In hyderabad, a letter from my company's HR was good enough for bike's registration) and taxes are lower. Mumbai cops would rarely stop for outside registration,unless you got dark tints or something flashy, atleast I have not been stopped even once in over a year.

To sum it:
You are outsider with all documents a clean person is expected to have but have no local proof:
1. You can get bank accounts on any imaginary local address you write, even a credit card
2. Get a copy a random electricity bill maybe from some dustbin and get a sim card
3. Do some more fraud like get a landline connection for a thousand bucks and register your car at that adddress

You want to be a decent person and avoidall this ( I did that a lot), be ready to be harassed and asked unimaginable money by car/bike showroom guys ( expected to be sellers who should be nice to their customers) in the name of lacking address proof.

My grouse :Laws in this city are not uniform, they force you to circumvent. I would buy my car in my hometown rather than doing all this fraud. one road trip outside state every six months.Get toll receipts,PUC and petrol bills with your car's registration number and date clearly mentioned and you are legally allowed to drive here, Daman and Gujarat aren't far. New excise in maharastra gives you all the more reason for a weekend trip to daman
And yeah I am being a reponsible citizen here, you dont allow me a local address, I'll not break the law and get a fraud address. so I dont buy a car in your city and pay you any road tax.
vikramvicky1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thane - Nagpur - Thane qqplus Travelogues 7 29th December 2011 14:57
Lunch Meet - Thane - Kashid - Thane egangsta The Team-BHP Meet Section 427 16th February 2011 15:24
Thane - Shirdi - Thane vij4all Travelogues 7 10th January 2011 22:32
Thane - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa - Thane vij4all Travelogues 17 30th August 2010 18:51
Thane - Goa - Thane - An Idyllic Run ! Guderian Travelogues 9 15th April 2008 12:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks