Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th April 2007, 10:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
May I articulate why it is a stupid move?

Even if I have a dozen cars, I can only be in one at a time. The rest will be locked up inside my garages. So I don't contribute to traffic congestion anyway.

And even if my relatives are driving some of my cars on the street. I would not take the public transport if I have even one car free.
So the public transport won't get my rupee anyway.

The buying process is anyway monitored by the RTO, is it not?
When I buy a new or used car, I have to register my ownership with the RTO. If they sleep through their opportunity to check malpractices, no new move can wake them up.

Opinions?

Ram
Agree with you on your observations. Bottomline is anyone who can afford to have more than one car will not be deterred buying another just for a 2 or 3% cess. There was a move in Delhi - that one has to provide proof of availablity of parking within his premises in order to be able to buy another car.......that proposal has not seen the light of day yet. If that rule is implemented Car Sales in Delhi would come to a stand still, as 80% or more Delhites park their cars on the streets as there is absolutely now way a house can have parking for sya 6 to 8 cars (average houses with multiple floor)..........More ways to make money by the babudom , Build illegal floors......bribe MCD.....buy cars......bribe RTO...sad but true I think I am getting carried away !!!!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 12:38   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Agree with you on your observations. Bottomline is anyone who can afford to have more than one car will not be deterred buying another just for a 2 or 3% cess.
Singapore's scheme to restrict the car population is to
auction the right to buy a vehicle to the highest bidders.

They sell a piece of paper called the Certificate of Entitlement (COE).

Also "Time expired" vehicles: Cars over 12 years old must be scrapped, or exported out of Singapore.

These measures work in curbing the number of cars to a number that leads to organized flow of traffic.

In 2007 there will be only COEs planned for the year 2006 is 1,35,061 growing at 3% per year.

Explosive runaway growth of cells in a bio-organism is called Cancer.

The same will apply to our ecosystem if there are more cars than highways to drive them on; more cars than real-estate to park them.

Doesn't it make sense for the State to foresee a chaos before it happens; to take action before it is too late?

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 12:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Also "Time expired" vehicles: Cars over 12 years old must be scrapped, or exported out of Singapore.
Ram, does that mean that Singapore doesn't have vintage and classic cars?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 14:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe there is a rule of a similar kind in Dubai too. Big deal, if you are good at words, you can ask for the vehicle to be registered in sharjah or Ajman (other emirates within the UAE which arent very strict).
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 14:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
They do, but it means having to buy another COE and paying a higher tax
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 14:42   #21
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No. I suppose you can have vintage and classic cars and baby them and polish them and exhibit them at car shows. But you cannot register them and drive them on the street, that's all.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 18:48   #22
elf
BANNED

OK. This is a great reason for me to leave the country. Forever.

Bye.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 21:39   #23
BHPian

Don't think there's any fault in the proposal per se... levying a cess on the second car and utilizing the money to improve the public transport system is definitely a good idea... but unfortunately we live in a country where the system's so rotten that good ideas always get subverted by the bureaucracy's nefarious intentions. I don't see this plan being implemented in full... the cess will come, sooner rather than later, but the high capacity buses will never see the light of day.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote