Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th November 2007, 15:54   #226
HSV
BHPian

Yup, he is the same guy who spoke to me too. I had emailed Skoda couple of months back and he had rung me up after sending a similar email as above.

We had a long talk and he confirmed upmarket features and quality (pretty all that we already know).

However in addition to that he confirmed the pricing to be between 6-8 lacs. I even remember asking him, "8 lacs? do you think be worth it? will it sell" he answered that it'll be worth the money as quality & build would be up to mark.

He even confirmed a sunroof in one of the high end variants.

He even confirmed the fact that although he has recieved lot of requests and query from many customers regarding an automatic transmission from all over the country, however Skoda will NOT be offering A/T (in any form) in any of the variants. A/T may come later (after an year or so - but no plans as yet).
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 16:02   #227
BANNED

Skoda Fabia is trying to come to India since 2005. Wonder when it will make it.
Quote:
"Both Skoda Fabia and Octavia II are expected to hit the Indian roads around October 2005," the Skoda Auto India Managing Director Mr Imran Hassen, said here at the launch of the turbo version of Skoda Octavia Rider. Different reports have put the launch date at anywhere from mid-2005 to end-2005.
From here Skoda Fabia in India mid 2005 - photos, pictures, gallery
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 16:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

I was just going through the site- the slew of features that the "new" fabia has seem to be unheard in small cars. The airbag wall, a revolving light, etc etc. I just hope this is the one that comes in- i seriously wouldnt mind paying 7L for this vehicle
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2007, 17:16   #229
Senior - BHPian

Here we are again, going on about a car that should have been on our roads 2-3 years ago. Seeing is believing. The day the Fabia is actually launched, we at team-bhp shall burst crackers, not because it is a cracker of a car (we shall wait for the t-bhp TD reviews) but like they say - better late than never.

Skoda need to be realistic with its pricing. A starting OTR price of anything more than 6 lakhs would be trouble.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 03:20   #230
BHPian

Default I don't mind paying more than Swift, recent launch will be based on new model

Caution: This post might look more like a blog but I will be talking about how my buying decision has changed from "Order for Swift vDi to Wait for Skoda Fabia launch".

I started looking at the cars in India about 2 months ago that I wanted to buy for my dad who has been driving Maruti 800 for some time(no power steering hence it feels like you are driving a tractor or something.)

Somehow my uncle was able to convince him to sell that car which opened up a avenue for me to replace that spot with something newer and nicer.

So my research began for a new car with a google search.

I was impressed when I came across Swift and all the reviews I saw on Swift and I was also convinced this is great car because of the long wait that the Swift Diesel model has. I live in US and I was only reading and looking at the pictures of the Swift on the internet. One day I realized that the steering wheel is on the left hand side and came to immediate conclusion that I have been looking at the european model interiors.

I was literally impressed when I saw the shape of the exterior and interior of the european model and I almost made my dad place an order for this car so I will have this car for my dad by the time I visit India in March of 2008.

Luckily... Again Luckily I stumbled onto one of the posts where they said Swift interiors are cheap plastics then I literally wanted to see the interior pictures of the Indian Swift (steering wheel on the right). It broke my heart when I saw the quality of the interiors and it did not take any time at all to back out of placing an order on this car.

After I made this decision I was telling myself why don't these car companies make a model that has quality interiors as an option even if it costs more. But there was none from Maruti. To re-assert my decision of backing out I have asked my cousin to go to Maruti show room to get a picture of the Swift interior and here is the picture he sent me.

The picture is of a brand new car that is still in the show room already look s very beatup. I wanted to post that image but could not find a way to do that. Please can somebody let me know how I can attach a picture to the post.

Again I went back to research and I found the Skoda Fabia is "coming, coming and coming news" in many threads. I found the pictures of this car from other countries and I am impressed because the exterior shape almost looks like Swift which I fell in with love before and interior looks great too and it is based on VW engine. But the only down side is that this car has not been released in India yet and hoping that the interiors will be better than Swift when it does release.

If it gets released based on the latest news that are coming out then I have decided that I should go with this car even if it is expensive by 1Lac over the Swift provided they don't differentiate the Indians when it comes to using quality materials on the cars.

I don't want a car that has cheap quality build to make it affordable for many in India. When I spend money I wanted it to stand out from other cars. The last thing I want to find out is that the car I bought is also very much liked by the taxi companies because of the economy of servicing and mileage etc. I might sound selfish and snob but I don't want to definetely drive the car that is also a taxi car. How many people like to buy the Maruti mini that is used for taxis these days. ?

I think many in India believe the same way I do which is why many in India look at Skodas in a different way because they are not affordable for many. I know company can't sell them many but who cares if the company can't make much money on it by selling them in masses.

Lets hope the cars that come out from Skoda keep up the reputation they have established for themselves by continuing to provide the quality cars that are enjoyed mostly in the western countries.

I know Honda and Toyota also make nice cars. I hope they bring some cars in this segment very soon. I own two Honda cars (Civic and Odyssey) and really like them.

Those are my two cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Skoda Fabia is trying to come to India since 2005. Wonder when it will make it.
From here Skoda Fabia in India mid 2005 - photos, pictures, gallery
diabloo... I think they have scrapped the plans of launching the Fabia based on the old model. The reference you have is above is old model Fabia. The one they are talking about launching in India in recent days is based on the new Fabia model that is released in Europe in March of 2007.
skmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 09:37   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Il, a revolving light,
What exactly is a revolving light? the one you see in an ambulance?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 10:04   #232
BHPian

Default very funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What exactly is a revolving light? the one you see in an ambulance?

That is very funny. I wonder why people want that revolving light in their cars. How about a revolving fan instead of A/C. ?
skmami is offline   Reply With Quote