Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th April 2007, 13:00   #1
BHPian

Default Importing Car Accessories - Govt Policies

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know the following:

Is importing car accessories like music systems, as a part of your check-in luggage prohibited?

This was the claim a custom official had made at an airport here. I was just wondering, how do guys get something like head units from outside? He said (with a broad smile) that, I would be given a receipt towards the confiscation of the HU I had purchased. I returned the smile and asked him - what do you want?

Regards
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 14:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't think so. My friend has taken in a HU from Dubai for me. There was no problem. Its just an indirect way of 'begging' for money.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Depending on the officer and his corruption index, practically everything is prohibited as hand luggage. There seems to be no official list or definition so it is a bonanza for these crooks. Perhaps that was the whole idea of leaving it that way.

I was once told stereo system parts (amplifier) are not allowed. Yet another time it was computer parts like Hard disk etc. They will extract bribes even if the value is < $300 or whatever the limit is.

I too have offered to pay duty / take it back abroad, immediately the guys come down and say "Duty will be 5,000 (or some big amount) why dont we settle here"

Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai are lot better in this respect because they see more traffic. Also Chennai has regular 'revenue' from cigaratte and other smugglers who are mostly from southern tn districts.
ggkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I thought Mumbai is the worst.. They X-ray scan every bag leaving the terminal, even if you walk thru the green channel. This is the only airport in the world where I have seen bags being scanned by customs while leaving the terminal via green channel !!
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 17:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I thought Mumbai is the worst.. They X-ray scan every bag leaving the terminal, even if you walk thru the green channel. This is the only airport in the world where I have seen bags being scanned by customs while leaving the terminal via green channel !!
This happened to me in Delhi too though.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Last time I checked, an Indian can bring in electronics worth Rs.20000/ without any duty hassles. This 20k does not include a laptop and a camera.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 18:12   #7
BHPian

@shuvd: "Last time I checked, an Indian can bring in electronics worth Rs.20000/ without any duty hassles. This 20k does not include a laptop and a camera."

They sing the "banned items" tunes if this reasoning is presented.

@ggkg:"I too have offered to pay duty / take it back abroad, immediately the guys come down and say "Duty will be 5,000 (or some big amount) why dont we settle here"

In my case, since it was a "banned item", I would have to pay 100% duty.

The guys at the exchange counters at the airports are also involved in this. They know that you approach them only to bribe these officials and hence make best use of the situation. The exchange rates are poor and that way they earn some 200-300Rs.
Old 13th April 2007, 18:13   #8
BHPian

Electronics is not supposed to include 'parts'. Atleast according to the corrupt crooks. As to what it includes and what it does not, the situation will be vague so it can be exploited by these vultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Last time I checked, an Indian can bring in electronics worth Rs.20000/ without any duty hassles. This 20k does not include a laptop and a camera.
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 19:10   #9
BHPian

Gentlemen and Ladies

you can refer the Customs and Central excise web site to know what exactly is allowed and not allowed

Here is the link

BAGGAGE RULES

Hope this is of help in future

regards

Sree
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 19:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sree for the link!

So I guess we can bring stuff worth Rs 25,000/- without any issues!
Thatz quite less I feel, a good HandyCam would cost around Rs.30,000/-
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 22:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
The guys at the exchange counters at the airports are also involved in this. They know that you approach them only to bribe these officials and hence make best use of the situation. The exchange rates are poor and that way they earn some 200-300Rs.
I always carry Indian currency with me. Exchange counters are screwy everywhere..Thomas Cook being among the worst.

BTW, I am sure customs will accept bribe in foreign currency as well .. Infact, they salivate at the very thought of being paid in $$$'s !
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 22:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
They sing the "banned items" tunes if this reasoning is presented.
In my case, since it was a "banned item", I would have to pay 100% duty.
If it is banned, how come you have to pay any duty at all ??? you will have to be put on trial for trying to smuggle a contraband. please try to put out facts.
thanks
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 00:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If it is banned, how come you have to pay any duty at all ???
I wish I could ask him this question.

Quote:
you will have to be put on trial for trying to smuggle a contraband
If you wish!

Quote:
please try to put out facts
The facts are simple. The official only found my Alpine HU (a standard model) a candidate for demanding bribe. If he was earning a considerable salary, he probably wouldn't have to beg the way he did. If the rule/law was devoid of loop holes, he couldn't have lied the way he did.
Old 14th April 2007, 06:30   #14
BHPian

Never bribe in $. the value always looks small. You end up paying more. Keep INR in hand..or you can ask relative to pass you money. That's allowed.

By and large I should say customs is improving. I go abroad often, and the incident I narrated was 2 yrs ago. For three reasons - the newer bunch are younger and more refined unlike the pot-bellied goondas of past, secondly, they have enormous regular sources of bribe from syndicated smugglers, so you and me are small fry. Thirdly there is always a risk of negative publicity by going for some genuine NRI/traveler who may have 'connections'
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 09:27   #15
BHPian

Update:
Import of dutiable goods per person is now Rs 35000. This is now printed on the back of the immigration form that you fill before landing.

Very perplexed customs official at the green channel, a woman, saw the four long tube like things and asked, "Hey kay aahe?"
I glanced up at the scanner screen and the ghostlike images really looked dangerous, like rocket launchers.

Sachs Advantage for you and me.

The indulgent senior officer just smiled and let me go. Anyway, I was well within the limits, all parts included.

The other package of oversized trim and a box full of sundry plastic, rubber, service and suspension parts sailed through without further ado.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote