Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th May 2007, 11:53   #31
BHPian

There is nothing wrong in having big dreams, but when you lack a plan of action to realise that dream, than it remains nothing more than "Mungeri Lal ke Haseen Sapne".

Yes, perhaps Fiat might achieve that target eventually, but what I want to see is hard facts - a proper plan of action, and proof that it is being executed properly, and progress is being made.

And I agree with GTO and Tsk that Fiat has so far shown little signs of doing that. Yeah - all magazines and enthusiasts are gung-ho about the Punto and Linea now, but if it takes them another couple of years to bring it in, the market would have moved much further along.

In short, enough TALK, lets see some REAL ACTION.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:06   #32
BHPian

Here is my take on it.
People who are doing or 'ROFLMAOWTIME ' should not expect every one else to do the same and please do tolerate those who are getting excited.
Same way, all those who are excited need not expect every one else do the same, and do tolerate those who are

Let us wait and see.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:26   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
For your kind info, 3000 cars target was for Palio Stile models and 1 lacs Cars target is for Linea + Grande Punto put together!
And it is very much possible!!!
So the given current expectation for the brand new VFM car is 3000 in this year. A realistic figure, I'd say.

Assuming that FIAT succeeds in it's intention to regain the market and raises the sales of it's VFM model by 5 times, they will still have sold 15000 units in a year. An admirable 500% increase in sales.

I don't know much about cars, but i do know that the linea and grande punto are more expensive than their entry level car.

Do you think that FIAT will sell 85000 expensive cars in a year in india? I don't think so. I personally agree here that the intention of the statement is that FIAT intends to bounce back. And more power to them. But it is this precisely this kind of headless statement that leads to more scepticism about FIAT.

If I see a poor man working hard, in order to succeed, I admire it. If i see the poor man brag about how he's gonna be richer than Vijay Mallya next year, I laugh. I think it's normal to laugh then. So I'm gonna laugh. ha ha ha.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th May 2007 at 12:29.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If I see a poor man working hard, in order to succeed, I admire it. If i see the poor man brag about how he's gonna be richer than Vijay Mallya next year, I laugh. I think it's normal to laugh then. So I'm gonna laugh. ha ha ha.
Very well said Samji. I doubt if even the entire 8-9L market is for 85,000 cars.

PS : How many new customer registered Palio Stiles have you guys seen on the road? Did the deliveries (or the orders..) start? Asking because I havent seen a single one till date.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:55   #35
Team-BHP Support

I must say Fiat is making a laughing stock out of themselves by quoting figures like that but quoting from the article:

Quote:
He, however, declined to comment on exact timeframe as to when the company would meet its sales target.

The company is banking on Linea to make its presence felt in the Indian market and is even looking at making the country an export hub for all the right-hand drive car markets, he added.

On auto component sourcing, he said Fiat was not only looking at increasing its localisation content for models to be sold in India, but would also increase levels of sourcing for global operations as well.
This is something to ponder upon. Still with everything 1,00,000 seems a distant figure. Please get realistic. I remember guessing the number of speaker sets sold in the country was around 85,000 per month when I was corrected that the number of cars sold in the country per month is nowhere close to this figure.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 13:13   #36
BHPian

This isnt about loving or hating fiat or anything... The point is simply that any target has to be qualified with a timeframe, else of what use is it to anyone? Like someone pointed out, it is possible to achieve that kind of volume if Fiat makes India an export hub for the ASEAN and other markets.
Also, like tsk pointed out, Fiat's alliance with MUL looks more definitive / attractive than the one with Tata, at least as of now. Let's hope the current marketing/distribution arrangement with Tata expands into a much bigger relationship, where Fiat gets as much mileage (visibility and attention) as Tata.
And, Zappo is right - the service experience has to be seamless, as in customers should get access to the same level of expertise and attention for both Fiat and Tata vehicles. Fiat shouldn't be seen as just piggybacking on the Tata network.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 11:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

This statement is made to create an impression that Fiat is here to stay and are now dead serious about the market. It's to create a buzz around the Fiat name. Thats it. Take it in that spirit and move on. I wonder why we have to disect each and every statement that Fiat makes in minute detail. Is it because they rarely say something? Maybe it's too early in Fiat's nth innings in India for them to lay down their plans to achieve that sales target. If they do manage 100K units, great for them and even better for Indian car buyer's, If they don't, they will still be doing better then what they are doing now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How many new customer registered Palio Stiles have you guys seen on the road? Did the deliveries (or the orders..) start? Asking because I havent seen a single one till date.
I haven't seen a single customer registered Getz Prime, Renault Logan and Sonata CRDi on the roads. Doesn't mean anything. All of us, including Fiat and Tata, know that the Palio Stile will be a flop.

I hope both pro and anti fiat people control themselves. The comments on this thread are as ridiculous as the ones demanding proof of tank like build quaity in another fiat thread. A little off topic on this, OD in their lates issue have commented that the Logan feels built like a tank and ACI has commented that the Palio Stile feels built like a tank and compared to it, other small cars feel like they are built from tuna cans. I guess we will see a few letters to those magazines asking them to prove their statements.

About the Tata-Fiat deal, maybe we can discuss that in another thread and Fiat OWNERS can post in their expereinces and not get laughed at or made to feel guilty or like mororns for buying a Fiat.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2007 at 13:41. Reason: Come on, keep forum comments out of this!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 11:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
As I mentioned on some other thread, if FIAT/TATA can get latest JTD in Palio by OCT/DEC 2007, they can give good fight to SWIFT VDi.
May month's ACI says that Fiat is planning to launch Palio Stile with 1.3 JTD within the next 6 to 8 months. (Page 17).
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 11:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fiat should just sell all their cars to Suzuki and tell them to badge it under their brand and people will start licking their cars like they dropped from heaven.

what does a Fiat car lack only A.S.S and most people who comment on it don't even own a Fiat so how do you u know how bad it is,as for the fuel economy thingy where on earth are u going to run with 1-2 kmpl difference.A palio 1.6 gives around 8 kmpl in the city and according to Autocar(may 2007) their long term swift gave them 8.85 kmpl(so much for being a Maruti).But logic dosent exist in this country,does it?
If 1000 people not owning a Fiat say it is bad then it has to be bad.These are the same people that will praise the diesel in the swift to no ends but when Fiat will plonk it into their cars these people will ridicule them.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2007 at 13:41. Reason: Come on, keep forum comments out of this!
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 12:02   #40
BHPian

This dream of fiat is possible if they start producing petras with 1.3 jtd 90 bhp engines and with 1.4 petrol td 120 bhp engine(serving linea in turkey, it develops peak torque of 17.6 kgm@1750 rpm and gives mileage of over 14 in city and 20 in highway).

In stile they should use only 1.3 75 hp version.

And they can put their 120 bhp td diesel 1.9 engine in adventure. This will have a definite impact on the sales of fiat. Thus they can sell more than 45000 in first year itself. Within 4 years the target of 100,000 is achievable.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 12:14   #41
BANNED

Well, I think fiat has finally found the taste of the indian customers , Plus , Fiat is more importantly a pioneer of technology . Magnetti marelli is an important arm for FIat india and even if Fiat dosent sell 1 lakh cars ,i bet they would be selling a lot of technology to indian counterparts . Thats what matters atleast for Fiat .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 12:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Fiat should just sell all their cars to Suzuki and tell them to badge it under their brand and people will start licking their cars like they dropped from heaven.

what does a Fiat car lack only A.S.S and most people who comment on it don't even own a Fiat so how do you u know how bad it is,as for the fuel economy thingy where on earth are u going to run with 1-2 kmpl difference.A palio 1.6 gives around 8 kmpl in the city and according to Autocar(may 2007) their long term swift gave them 8.85 kmpl(so much for being a Maruti).But logic dosent exist in this country,does it?

If 1000 people not owning a Fiat say it is bad then it has to be bad.These are the same people that will praise the diesel in the swift to no ends but when Fiat will plonk it into their cars these people will ridicule them.
Very valid points, merve. The Palio FE thing did amuse me a lot too, especially since friends who drive Getzs and Swifts were also reporting similar FE figures.

The problem is that Fiat's image has taken a beating, predominantly owing to their flawed strategy the first time around. Am sure they can resurrect the brand and replicate their global turnaround here too, if they do the right things (positioning, customer relationships and A**).

Unfortunately, its people's comments/opinions that turn prospective buyers away from Fiat - as they get concerned about poor resale value, A**, reliability etc.

Of course, whether one likes it or not, when the brand equity is high, flaws are forgiven and forgotten easily and quickly and the company can bounce back from mistakes better.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 13:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Fiat should just sell all their cars to Suzuki and tell them to badge it under their brand and people will start licking their cars like they dropped from heaven. A palio 1.6 gives around 8 kmpl in the city and according to Autocar(may 2007) their long term swift gave them 8.85 kmpl(so much for being a Maruti).But logic dosent exist in this country,does it?

And lets not forget the niggling build quality problems in the Swift. I think OD's long term Swift DDis' power window had some problems and they have commented on how Maruti still hasn't done anything about the build quality. If the Swift was badged a Fiat, Chevrolet or Ford, the sales would have crashed by now. Also, it's time and again reported that the Swift has the most expensive spare parts among hatchbacks. How come no one complaints about expensive Swift spares but are already talking about how the Sparks success will depend on lower spare prices.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 14:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
And lets not forget the niggling build quality problems in the Swift. I think OD's long term Swift DDis' power window had some problems and they have commented on how Maruti still hasn't done anything about the build quality. If the Swift was badged a Fiat, Chevrolet or Ford, the sales would have crashed by now. Also, it's time and again reported that the Swift has the most expensive spare parts among hatchbacks. How come no one complaints about expensive Swift spares but are already talking about how the Sparks success will depend on lower spare prices.
All the best. Keep trying.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 14:53   #45
BHPian

Hi, My First post hope not to be rude but some people here are already making FIAT look like jokers but I failed to understand why Maruti Swift uses FIAT's 1.3 MultiJet Engine in diesel versions if Fiat is failed company why do SUZUKI Ties up with Fiat to make something like SUZUKI SX4 oh sorry but its hard fact which MUL wont tell to INDIAN buyers why do they need Italian designer & Fiat engines ??

Suzuki SX4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I think people who dont know much about FIAT should think hundred times before writing against it or either they should bcoz they cant handle the FIAT rage which will soon wipe out the tin can boxes on Indian roads
FERRO is offline   Reply With Quote