Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2007, 10:43   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Thanks for your wishes folks. Will write something more. But my initial impressions were a bit disappointing.
For example, the engine seems a bit loud during starting up. My wife commented that it sounds a bit like diesel. Is this normal? (We had an Accent before)
Also, there are some pinging/clicking noises once in a while. Cant exactly describe it. With the AC on, the engine noise seems a bit louder than what I was used to with Accent.
Otherwise, I am enjoying the looks my cars get. Waiting for the running in period before opening up the engine.

Cheers
Congratulations man! Welcome to the elite club! It's different!

The NVH level of the 1.6 engine is on the higher side and sometimes people do enquire if the car is a diesel. So, there's nothing wrong with your car. Some people actually like that sporty sound.

When the AC is turned on, a device in the engine (forgot what it is called) automatically increases the engine's RPM and so engine sound goes up a little.

The clicking sound is probably from the AC. Is it followed by a hissing sound too? That's normal. You'll find detailed technical explanation in the archives of Palio User's Group at Yahoo Groups. Do become a member if you aren't already.

How much did the car cost OTR?

Cheers!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:55   #77
BHPian
 
goldie_malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Highlights:
Ranjangaon plant operational - capacity of 1 Lakh cars and 2 Lakh engines p.a.
10 % lower production costs than earlier plant at Kurla.
1.3 multijet in the Stile in 6 - 8 months
1.4L 77bhp petrol engine (from the Grande Punto) in the pipeline too
90% localisation targeted by '10, resulting in 30% cost benefits over the older plant.

Sounds good, doesnt it?
Surely sounds good - lets hope they stick to it. And keep the 1.3 in Stile way cheaper than Swift VDi.

77 bhp in a 1.4L Punto - that way, way, way below par - the petrol in Punto should be nothing shy of 90-100 bhp. Heard they make 100 to 120 bhp on the 1.4 engines in europe - fiat fans pls correct me here.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 10:58   #78
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,641 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Surely sounds good - lets hope they stick to it. And keep the 1.3 in Stile way cheaper than Swift VDi.

77 bhp in a 1.4L Punto - that way, way, way below par - the petrol in Punto should be nothing shy of 90-100 bhp. Heard they make 100 to 120 bhp on the 1.4 engines in europe - fiat fans pls correct me here.
Nothing europe specific here. Tata also makes 100bhp from a 1.4 engine. I suspect the engine detuning has nothing to with technology, but more to do with FE.
As for multijet in Palio, I think Tata will resist that and you may have the Palio multijet selling only from Fiat exclusive showrooms.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 11:34   #79
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Thanks for your wishes folks. Will write something more. But my initial impressions were a bit disappointing.
For example, the engine seems a bit loud during starting up. My wife commented that it sounds a bit like diesel. Is this normal? (We had an Accent before)
Also, there are some pinging/clicking noises once in a while. Cant exactly describe it. With the AC on, the engine noise seems a bit louder than what I was used to with Accent.
Otherwise, I am enjoying the looks my cars get. Waiting for the running in period before opening up the engine.

Cheers
the sound initially feels like the engine is grinding something. but it is normal. once above 3K kms on ODO it disappears. also change the engine oil to Castrol Magnatec.. it is much better to run-in the car with mangnatec oil..
the sound when AC is on is same as you get from the back of your fridge.. it is not the engine noise. it is the compressor noise. a bit loud in palio...but nothing to worry about...
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:27   #80
BHPian
 
thalavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 389
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Congratulations man! Welcome to the elite club! It's different!

The NVH level of the 1.6 engine is on the higher side and sometimes people do enquire if the car is a diesel. So, there's nothing wrong with your car. Some people actually like that sporty sound.

When the AC is turned on, a device in the engine (forgot what it is called) automatically increases the engine's RPM and so engine sound goes up a little.

The clicking sound is probably from the AC. Is it followed by a hissing sound too? That's normal. You'll find detailed technical explanation in the archives of Palio User's Group at Yahoo Groups. Do become a member if you aren't already.

How much did the car cost OTR?

Cheers!
Thanks DI!
Yes to all your queries. The clicking is followed by hissing Glad to know that this is normal. It felt like a leak in the AC unit. Getting used to the sound now (sounds like 'growl', rather than whine).
My request to Palio Users Yahoo Group is pending for some time. If the moderator is here, could you please approve (sshanmu is my handle)!
5.7 OTR (including increased LTT and 3-yr extended warranty). Higher than what some members here got Adventurous when buying the car.

Cheers!
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 14:35   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

The problem with the Tata-Fiat deal is that while existing owners and prospective customers feel that Fiat is getting a really bad deal with Tatas, the Italian company seems to be very happy and satisfied with the tie up. I remember reading the Fiat India CEO's interview during the Stile launch where he said that the tie up is going really great and Fiat sales have gone up about 70% odd since Tata took over selling their cars. I hope someone in Fiat has better brains then that. If your dealers are going to go up from X to X+45 then obviously your sales will rise even with zero effort on the part of sales staff to try and push the Palio. What Fiat needs to look at is by how much nos or % has the sales gone up corresponding to the increase in number of dealerships. Seems like Fiat doesn't have any annual targets and are happy with every unit that drives out of the showroom.

I don't know what the terms of this tie up are but Fiat could have offered Tata their MJD engines and other technology provided Palio/Grande Punto/Adenture sales go up by a certain number of units and hold at that level for at least 3 years and Fiat's ranking in J.D.Power survey's goes up by certain points.

Another test is when the Stile MJD comes into the markets. We don't know what profits are there on Tata and Fiat cars but if Fiat's have a lesser profit margin then Tata salesmen will be busy telling buyers about imagined problems in the Palio MJD. The average buyer may not even know that both the Palio and Indica have the same engine!

Though the tie up seems to be heading nowhere for Fiat, I am hoping that the real deal and terms will come out once the Grande Punto and Linea come out into the market. Also, the Palio even with MJD will be a real difficult car to sell and Tata dealers cold response towards the Palio seems understandable at this point. If the Grande Punto and Linea take off, then I am sure we will see Tata dealers getting excitied and aggressive about Fiat cars. I guess we will have to patient because this year, Fiat seems to be laying the foundation for what could be an extremely busy next year and hopefully an even more busy time for them in the Indian markets starting from 2008.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:46   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I hope someone in Fiat has better brains then that. If your dealers are going to go up from X to X+45 then obviously your sales will rise even with zero effort on the part of sales staff to try and push the Palio.
Interesting logic. Now Fiat needs to just increase the number of dealers to reach the sales target of 100,00
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 12:03   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default An Update: FIAT-Tata to double Ranjangaon Capacity

The Tata-FIAT JV seems to be progressing well. Ranjangaon plant's capacity is set to increase from 100,000 P.A. to 200,000 for cars and from 200,000 to 300,000 for engines. The plant will serve as FIAT's manufacturing base for RHD markets. For instance Linea will be available in UK from 2008 onwards once production starts at Ranjangaon.

Interestingly, FIAT will concentrate solely on manufacturing while all marketing shall be handled solely by Tata.

Also, the new model line up will not end with GP and Linea.

Check this out:

Tata-Fiat to double Ranjangaon capacity=
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 12:52   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
the newly-appointed President and CEO of Fiat India Automobiles, Rajeev Kapoor.
How did we miss this? Fiat, finally, have appointed an Indian to head it's Indian operations. Any idea about the background of Mr.Rajeev Kapoor?

Quote:
The marketing of cars will not be our responsibility, we will not do anything in that (marketing) sector,” said De Filippis Giovanni.
Thank God!

Last edited by amit : 5th December 2007 at 12:54.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 12:54   #85
BHPian
 
indivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 753
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Surely sounds good - lets hope they stick to it. And keep the 1.3 in Stile way cheaper than Swift VDi.

77 bhp in a 1.4L Punto - that way, way, way below par - the petrol in Punto should be nothing shy of 90-100 bhp. Heard they make 100 to 120 bhp on the 1.4 engines in europe - fiat fans pls correct me here.
My view on the 77 bhp is, that it should be sufficient for a family man provided it can deliver a FE on the correct side of 10 kmpl. The Honda City makes do with the same amount of power and is quite good for the city driving.

I guess Fiat would line up a higher powered version based on the response to the GP.

I remember reading on this forum somewhere that the Honda Jazz could be spotted inside the factory as well. If Tata was benchmarking the X1 against the Jazz, I am sure they would take care of the driveability and the FE.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 13:30   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

In the report FIAT has not mentioned about when they will achieve this 1,00,000 cars annual target. Hopefully they will achieve it by 2015 if they do everything right. If they mess up something or the other then we can see these sales figures by 2020 or 2025 or never at all.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:05   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

The sales target must be cumulative and including the Fiats sold upto date (incl. the 1950s Padmini) and the future expected sales, before Fiat gives up the ghost.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:13   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,651 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The Tata-FIAT JV seems to be progressing well. Ranjangaon plant's capacity is set to increase from 100,000 P.A. to 200,000 for cars
Current capacity is 1,00,000 cars per year? Is this for the Palio only, or any TATA cars as well?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:25   #89
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
How did we miss this? Fiat, finally, have appointed an Indian to head it's Indian operations. Any idea about the background of Mr.Rajeev Kapoor?
He wouldn't be CEO of Fiat India Pvt. Ltd. but for Fiat Powertrain ... Rajeev Kapoor is ex. Hero Honda and I believe quite instrumental for the Hero Honda Splendour.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:37   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Current capacity is 1,00,000 cars per year? Is this for the Palio only, or any TATA cars as well?
Please see the thumbnail below. This is the current production capacity of 178 platform cars produced in the factory:



Don't ask me how I got it .
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2015 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis! GTO The Indian Car Scene 64 18th February 2016 10:35
Honda to double its annual production capacity to 240,000 cars GTO The Indian Car Scene 15 3rd April 2013 16:38
Scorpio CRDe @ 70,000 kms! 5,000 of Agony & 65,000 of bliss smats Long-Term Ownership Reviews 17 8th May 2010 17:37
Fiat Lovers Annual Meet 2006 at Goa rishi_kapoor Travelogues 10 27th October 2009 22:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks