Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th May 2007, 10:43   #46
BHPian

where is the pic?..its showing broken link
arunforu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 10:49   #47
Team-BHP Support

@Arun, check out the other link on the same topic. The pic has been posted there, and visible too.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 10:54   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Price: 6.40 lacs ex showroom
ac and power steering only.
bolero di engine which develops 70hp at 3200 rpm and 200nm At 1800-2200rpm.
Everything else is the same as scorpio
Did not take a test drive. The engine is noisy and crude but it is peaceful inside once the windows are shut. It would be roughly a lac cheaper on road than the base version Crde.
Clearly reads = People-mover! Mahindra is obviously looking at expanding the Scorpio market further within the taxi, semi-urban and upmarket rural segment with the M2DI. At a price of 6.4, I think its over a lac cheaper than the common-rail version.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 10:58   #49
Team-BHP Support

Agreed M&M are looking at the people mover segment, but what about the image they created with the Scorpio? In Kerala even the SLX versions sometimes run as cabs (marriages and the likes).

Its also known that space inside the Scorp is limited. How can they use it then to address the people-mover category? Looks like they are going back to their old ways.
Old 4th May 2007, 11:36   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Two Scorpio M2Di threads merged. Please continue the discussion here only.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Its also known that space inside the Scorp is limited. How can they use it then to address the people-mover category? Looks like they are going back to their old ways.
This is India. Most of our people dont mind being packed like sardines.
I have seen a Scorpio without any badgings, but it didnt have any side claddings, nor did it have an internal fuel cap release. Wonder if it was the M2DI or the base CRDe.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 13:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
This is India. Most of our people dont mind being packed like sardines.
Thats very true, but i believe things are chaging nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have seen a Scorpio without any badgings, but it didnt have any side claddings, nor did it have an internal fuel cap release. Wonder if it was the M2DI or the base CRDe.
I believe what you saw should have been the M2Di, as even the base DX version comes with side claddings.
Old 5th May 2007, 00:57   #53
BHPian

The M2DI it seems is already being seen on roads atleast in Udupi region! i saw 3-4 vehicles here,infact One person known to me bought one just today!

Front is same as the "old" Scorpio but the rear remains same as new one,interiors are of new(base) scorpio,so no one can confuse the old(M2DI) with new(CRDe).

Looks like an exercise to bridge the price gap(and option) between Bolero and Scorpio.

Last edited by Desert fox : 5th May 2007 at 00:59.
Desert fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 10:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

dont understand why M and M should do it considering the strong brand they had created with the scorpio.by giving it a crude engine and underpricing it and also labelling it now as a people carrier looks like its lucrative for the moment but might kill the exclusivity of the scorpio. i thought m and m would carry on the legacy of the scorpio for many more years and develop newer platforms and still retain the scorpio brand name.somethings gone wrong there now..i wouldnt want to buy a car that functions as a taxi. esp cos suv's are generally associated with image and power. mahindra's gone wrong with the pricing of the logan too.looks like theres been some big mistakes by the corporates up there in m and m
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 10:49   #55
HSV
BHPian

Its quite evident that Mahindra are trying to dilute the Scorpio brand. Already more Scorpios were plying as taxis as compared to a Safari. It seems they may want to launch the 2.2 under a new branding... and slowly let Scorpio continue as a MPV.
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 11:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Why isnt it being advertised then? I see no ads in the papers saying "The new Scorpio, now starts at Rs. 6 lakhs only.." or something similar.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the M2Di launched all over India?

Saw one in trivandrum today, was registered as a taxi (as one would expect)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:58   #58
Team-BHP Support

the m2di is the old 2.6 engine. not the crde. it is sold in the rural markets where euro 3 dosent exist. the new 2.2 is codenamed eagle.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 22:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Every product thats launched in the market whether it is a car or a mobile phone, goes through the product life cycle from concept to a mature design and Obsolescence. Most products that are launched as lifestyle products during the initial phase will gradually enter the volumes market as the design matures and competition catches up. This is exactly whats happening with the Scorpio. Next few years i am sure M&M will try to milk the scorpio design to the max before their NPI b(new product introduction) phase kicks off. And the story repeats.
I wish we could say the same about the good old Amby.

IMO - the Crude Scorpio is just the same trick Tata did with the Indicab. a crappy variant to the Indicar, which sold really well. Its a numbers game.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 22:22   #60
BHPian

I was in pune the week before and saw a M2DI on road. And a lot of Mahindra Tourister Vans with CRDe written on them
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote